dobyns only

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

dobyns only

Post by tosakilla » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:28 pm

I need a new flippin stick and was thinking either a dc765 or a dx795. Dont even bother trying to talk me into getting a different rod besides dobyns, I only use the best. Would appreciate any sort of reviews of the rods including tearing big holes in the mouth on the hookset and all that good stuff. Thanks for the help!
Brovarneybaits.com
Dobynsrods.com
Missilebaits.com

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: dobyns only

Post by Bassboss » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Noo my friend, Ugly Sticks are the best end of story. They never break!! :roll:

quantum angler nt
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by quantum angler nt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:01 pm

[quote="Bassboss"]Noo my friend, Ugly Sticks are the best end of story. They never break!! :roll:[/quote]

Don't be obnoxious, he had a specific question about Dobyns rods.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:18 pm

tosakilla wrote:I need a new flippin stick and was thinking either a dc765 or a dx795.
What weights/baits are you planning on using? Flipping.....and punching? Is the cost difference an issue for you?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:54 am

Flipping jigs or creatures?
As said before price range and weights?
The dx745 is a sweet jig rod..
The champion 735 is a great creature stick.
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Price range isnt really a problem, thought about the 745 but i dont flip/ pitch jigs as much as i do plastics. I would use a 3/8 weight as the lightest weight, not alot of punching up here in wisconsin, but there is some. Just really looking for a rod that is super sensitive that i can flip/ pitch/ punch with alot. And from past rods i really dont mind the longer rods either.

And thank you bassboss, have an ugly stick, it is the best back scratcher you will ever find!
Brovarneybaits.com
Dobynsrods.com
Missilebaits.com

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:03 am

There is no doubt that the DX795 Flip is the more sensitive stick. Since you won't be using lighter than 3/8oz, I'd say get DX795. IMO, 5/16oz is the bottom of the sweet spot (range). I've use the DX795 with weights a little lighter but I prefer the rod to 'load' a bit more. I like that 'load' feedback as I often pitch in addition to flip to spots as I'm moving down the bank. If you were using really light baits on a regular basis, the Champ 765 might be the better stick. Even though the Champ blank isn't as sensitive, the lighter powered stick would 'load' better with really light baits. Depending on the plastic used, the Champ 765 feels maxed out with a 3/4oz-1oz weight. Even punching light-ish cover with those weights, I like a bit more power. The DX795, on the other hand, has plenty of power to handle a 1 1/2oz weight plus double wide beaver and move a good size fish out of the cover.

Although it has similar lure weight ratings as the 766 & 805, the lighter tip/more moderate action is what really makes the DX795 stand out. Beastly strong, the 766/805 are great sticks when fishing really heavy cover with heavy weights for big fish. The problem is that they have no subtly in their makeup. When the time comes for a soft hand because of a light bite, the DX795 comes through. It isn't only the rod material, which has superior sensitivity, that does it. It is the the lighter tip & more moderate taper that allows you to gently lift to feel a fish without spooking it.

IMO, the DX795 is the best flipping/pitching stick in the Dobyns lineup. Just one of the sticks that 'feel right' when you are using them.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:08 pm

thanks civicrr, I have heard good things about that lighter tip which was one of the main reasons i was thinking about getting it, especially since when i set the hook i hold nothing back :mrgreen: looks like I'll most likely be going with 795 then.
Brovarneybaits.com
Dobynsrods.com
Missilebaits.com

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:50 pm

You won't regret it if you get the 795. I'm not one to like really long rods. In fact, I hated 7'6" rods. The longest ones I bought were 7'3". Then on civicrr's advice, I got the 795, sight unseen or without ever holding it (it was on sale, I couldn't resist). I've been very surprised ever since. The rod is well balanced with the soft tip. To me, it doesn't feel like it's 7'9". I use this for pitching, flippin and punching. Nice rod for all 3 techniques. Did I mention it's powerful? Great overall rod.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:39 pm

sweet, well thanks for the help everyone!
Brovarneybaits.com
Dobynsrods.com
Missilebaits.com