need frog/flip rod help

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

need frog/flip rod help

Post by agggh » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:48 pm

Hey everyone, I need myself a new heavy cover rod. I'm currently using a heavy action carrot stick, but I have problems getting fish out of cover.

I do a lot of frogging this time of year, and I don't like a long rod for that technique. I also do a lot of pitching and flipping to laydowns and would like to merge these techniques

So I'm looking for about a 7 ft rod that could handle frogs, but also pitching 3/8 weights and creature baits.

My budget is a little tight, but I'm looking at the 200 dollar range. If i could save some money on a cheaper rod, then that would be great. I dont really care what brand, but im not crazy about loomis.

I've been looking at falcon caras, dobyns savvys and champs, and powells. But like I said, i don't really care what brand.

I'll pair it with a revo premier and 50 lb braid

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: need frog/flip rod help

Post by John Puckett » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:53 pm

I use a Powell 735C for all my froggin needs. It also makes a great flipping a pitching stick IMHO. I also use it for swim jigs and paddle tail swimbaits. I have a Citica 201E on mine and I'm also running 50# braid so I know the rod does great with that line as well.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Dobyns Champion 735 is my frog rod of choice. Great tip for walking the bait with plenty of power to get them to the boat. On this recent thread http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... hilit=frog there were a lot of fisherman that feel the same way. :D

The same tip that makes it easy to cast & walk the frogs makes it easy to pitch jigs & t-rigs with too. 3/8oz is right in its 'sweet spot' lure range. IMO, it is at its best anywhere from 5/16oz & up to ???? I haven't used it for more than 3/4oz plus plastic. Having fished that, I feel confident 1oz would be in the 'sweet spot' too. Probably more but I'd want to fish it before I said.

added in edit: fixed link
Last edited by civicrr on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 am

a phenix recon is a great rod. or you can wait for the phenix m1 to come out.

VEEDUBGYRL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VEEDUBGYRL » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 am

i can also recommend a dobyns 735/736. however, it appears you fish the thick stuff. so i say go with the 736

GL
VEEDUBGYRL

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Phenix has a new rod series, M1, coming out in the fall. In the line-up is a 7'2" Heavy Action rod. That rod will undoubtedly be my frogging rod and will most certainly handle duties of pitching/flipping. I'm hoping this is the phenix rod to replace the one Powell rod that regret getting rid of, the Endurance 725

The Phenix Recons are also being re-done and will be available this fall. The 715 is a solid frog and light pitchin rod as well.

Again, another is the Powell Endurance 725. It was by far my favorite Powell Rod
robchik.com

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dqphysics » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:03 pm

I agree with many that the Dobyns 735c is an awesome frog/pitching rod. The best I have felt in fact, but you may want to go heavier and go with the 736c which has a reputation of being a beast. I actually called over to Gary about going with the 735c or 736c and he really helped me out. I ultimately went with the 735 because I wanted to be able to go finesse flipping (if the term is not coined, you heard it here first) since bass in Southern NY can be picky. I suggest calling Gary or sending him a pm through this board. Nicest guy, you will never want to buy from anyone else after talking to him. (for the record Vince is a great guy at Phenix, but I liked the Champions more then the Recons but both are great)

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I already own a 715 recon and love it, but I wouldn't really use it for frogs. I would like a m1, but I need the rod now and I dont know when those will be released.

I own some dobyn champs as well and like them. But, I'd like to try a new brand.

Im honestly kind of leaning towards a falcon cara. They look nice, and will hopefully be fairly light. Does anyone have any experience with falcon?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:08 pm

I'd suggest that you consider the new Shimano Crucial CRC75HA. It's a fine mix of what you're looking for and has the best warranty in the business...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:35 pm

Try a used zombie rod.....
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

sktr22
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by sktr22 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 am

The Cara is nice. Light enough and well built. It might be a little light in the power dept for frog fishing. When it comes to Falcon you have to know that they are pretty much on notch below their rating...a 4 power feels much like a 3 ..and so on.

Depending on the amount you wish to spend. I would give the Zilion 7'4" swimbait rod a look and also for much less money, one of the only good models that came from the Daiwa Ballistic line is thier Frog rod.