Dobyns 682C?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Dobyns 682C?

Post by dqphysics » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:58 pm

I am really interested in the Dobyns upgrade deal going on and want to trade in my St. Croix Premier 6'6" M. I currently use the rod for topwater poppers, sticks and whenever I want a jig to fall a little slower since it is my only rod that I put mono on. At this point I am looking at the 682c but wanted to hear the forum's opinion on the rod. I did a search and saw a lot of people like it for jerkbaits and I certainly like the versatility for this but I use my 705CB Glass for jerkbaits like the RC STX or EEratic shads. Is the 682c good for smaller jerkbaits like R2S Suspen'88s? While it cast Zell Poppers well? What else do you do with yours?

(just for the record I will be mounting a Citica 201E on it which I plan on putting OS ABEC 7's in)

Thank you in advance, this forum has helped me tremendously in the past.

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dobyns 682C?

Post by dqphysics » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Come on guys don't let me down, I want to be mailing my old rod in on Monday!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:19 pm

I haven't posted since I didn't try poppers on the rod. Since nobody else has provided any info, I put my thoughts out there.

I had a 682C a while ago. I got it just because I wanted to try a lighter powered fast action rod for ripbaits. I didn't really cast anything smaller than the Lucky Craft Pointer 78 (3/8oz). It cast the Pointer 78 & the Staysee 90 (7/16oz) great. Both loaded the rod well on the cast giving good feedback. Both lures worked really well with the rod. I didn't ever feel like I was overworking the bait. Fish hooked on these baits made it to the boat just fine. In other words, I didn't have any problems hooking, fighting or landing fish using this rod vs a crankbait rod. The reason it still isn't in the lineup was I felt it would be a single technique rod for me. If I used a crankbait rod, I could fish squarebills, mid column, etc with it too.

Here are some guesses based on my experience above. If you are fishing the larger Zell Pop (3/8oz) it will absolutely work. If you are using the smaller Zell (1/4oz) I'm pretty confident it work well too. I'm casting both sizes of Zell's on the 705CB which doesn't have as light a tip. Put another way, the 682 will work better than the rod I am using to throw them.

Hope that helps.

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dqphysics » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:20 am

Now that's the type of information I am use to from this board. Thanks civicrr. =D>

Seems like it will work anyone else want to chime in?

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:34 am

I'm also getting a 682c with the tradein. I have a 684cb that I use for 1/4 oz poppers, but I think I can get a little more distrance with 682c. Neither way I can use both.