Rod Setups

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Doubled Over
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Rod Setups

Post by Doubled Over » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:09 am

I have been fishing for a few years now and I am looking to start entering some local tournys, but I need to get my rod setups sorted out. What would be your recommendation for a crank rod, spinnerbait rod, topwater rod, finesse rod, and any other rod I might need. I would prefer to be technique specific. Also, if you wouldn't mind recommending a reel that would be nice to pair with the rod, I would appreciate it! Basically I am trying to get my setups straight. Thanks for your time. :D

Zman
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rod Setups

Post by Zman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 am

I'm guessing you're looking for specific brand/model recs but maybe you'll find this guide helpful too. Might depend on whether or not you're fishing out of your own boat, or fishing as a non-boater. I snagged this quick bare minimum guide from Wired2Fish (can't find the link to the original article). I don't necessarily agree with all of it and it's certainly not gospel, but I found it helpful:

1. 7-foot, 6-inch heavy-power baitcaster combo Main purpose: Flipping, pitching, punching, frog rod and swimbaits
2. 6-foot, 9-inch medium-power baitcaster combo Main purpose: topwaters and jerkbaits
3. 7-foot medium-power baitcaster combo Main purpose: crankbaits
4. 7-foot medium-heavy power baitcaster combo Main purpose: texas-rigs and jigs
5. 7-foot medium-heavy power baitcaster combo Main purpose: spinnerbaits, vibrating and swimming jigs
6. 6-foot, 9-inch medium power spinning combo Main purpose: shaky heads, drop shots, lightweight plastics or light jerkbaits and topwaters

1. 7:1 gear ratio baitcaster reel Main purpose: heavy lifting for flipping, pitching, punching and frogging
2. 6.4:1 gear ratio small profile baitcasting reel Main purpose: palmable reel for short wrist snaps with topwaters and jerkbaits
3. 5.4:1 gear ratio baitcaster reel Main purpose: low torque cranking reel for keeping crankbait in strike zone
4. 7:1 gear ratio baitcaster reel Main purpose: fast reel for taking up slack on worms and jigs that are fished with rod
5. 6.4:1 gear ratio baitcasting reel Main purpose: the faster speed will keep your spinnerbaits and swim jigs up but not too fast
6. 5:1 gear ratio spinning reel in 1000 to 2000 spool size Main purpose: light line bass fishing with shaky heads, drop shots; back-reeling is a bonus

dqphysics
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by dqphysics » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:45 am

Just posted this in another thread but here you go:

Rods: http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/628 ... ing-System

Reels: http://blog.wired2fish.com/blog/bid/633 ... rt-2-Reels

Enjoy.

CJTBassman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CJTBassman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 am

Can you give line strength/type preferences for each rod/reel listed. It would be a great help. Thanks!

belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by belippy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:43 am

Zman wrote:I'm guessing you're looking for specific brand/model recs but maybe you'll find this guide helpful too. Might depend on whether or not you're fishing out of your own boat, or fishing as a non-boater. I snagged this quick bare minimum guide from Wired2Fish (can't find the link to the original article). I don't necessarily agree with all of it and it's certainly not gospel, but I found it helpful:

1. 7-foot, 6-inch heavy-power baitcaster combo Main purpose: Flipping, pitching, punching, frog rod and swimbaits
2. 6-foot, 9-inch medium-power baitcaster combo Main purpose: topwaters and jerkbaits
3. 7-foot medium-power baitcaster combo Main purpose: crankbaits
4. 7-foot medium-heavy power baitcaster combo Main purpose: texas-rigs and jigs
5. 7-foot medium-heavy power baitcaster combo Main purpose: spinnerbaits, vibrating and swimming jigs
6. 6-foot, 9-inch medium power spinning combo Main purpose: shaky heads, drop shots, lightweight plastics or light jerkbaits and topwaters

1. 7:1 gear ratio baitcaster reel Main purpose: heavy lifting for flipping, pitching, punching and frogging
2. 6.4:1 gear ratio small profile baitcasting reel Main purpose: palmable reel for short wrist snaps with topwaters and jerkbaits
3. 5.4:1 gear ratio baitcaster reel Main purpose: low torque cranking reel for keeping crankbait in strike zone
4. 7:1 gear ratio baitcaster reel Main purpose: fast reel for taking up slack on worms and jigs that are fished with rod
5. 6.4:1 gear ratio baitcasting reel Main purpose: the faster speed will keep your spinnerbaits and swim jigs up but not too fast
6. 5:1 gear ratio spinning reel in 1000 to 2000 spool size Main purpose: light line bass fishing with shaky heads, drop shots; back-reeling is a bonus

very useful tips for me thanks =D>