sooo...not happy

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: sooo...not happy

Post by jeb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:42 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:The point of this thread isn't to say they wouldn't do it with the receipt. The point is they said fix it yourself. No company should say that reguardless of the situation.
Yes, they do. Lots of companies do that very thing. Sure, there are some that might go outside of their own rules in some situations, but that's just a good will thing in certain cases. Certainly nothing I'd bank on. Best to protect your investment by understanding what it takes to get the coverage you think you should have, and then doing that. Whether that's keeping copies of receipts, registering it, etc.

It's amazing to me, for example, how few people actually apply for the Wildcards when they get Loomis rods. Yes, Loomis will issue a Wildcard at a later date, but only IF you have the original receipt. My bet is most folks that didn't bother to apply for it in the first place would likely not be able to locate the receipt a year or two down the road. It's like leaving money on the table to me.

Not running you down here or anything. I understand your frustration. But rules are rules, and most companies follow them in warranty cases.

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:28 pm

I broke a brand new Cumara in my wifes gigantic back SUV door on my first fishing trip with it. The butt section was slammed so the rod COULD still be fished. I sent the rod to Shimano telling them how awesome the rod was and explained exactly how I broke it. Got a NEW Cumara in about a week no questions asked. I have done this in the past with Fenwick,G loomis and others with great results. The moral of the story here is "Nice letters praising a companies product will go a Looooooong way" Send the rod in with a nice letter and see what happens Bro .........Take care :)

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:46 am

OP, post that ish on social media.....facebook, twitter, youtube etc......Yeah I know they won't fix everything without a reciept but this is an abvious mfg defect.

I wonder if Jeb has receipts of $1 items he buys too..... :-k :whistle:

Otherwise, cut your losses and don't buy another Abu rod :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:26 pm

You break a guide off your rod and you think that's a defect? How many times did you step on it, or tangle it up with other rods, or slam it in to something? And you have no receipt? Maybe it's just me but I dont see why they would help you. They would double their payroll if they had to hire people to replace guides that people broke off their rods. At least they gave you Jann's number. :-({|=

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:10 am

Dude come on now, by the time you pay shipping/ins. , the $10 fee and video editing software :shock: to prove your point, you could have brought the rod to a local rod builder to have the guide replaced for less $$.

But I would contact them again and have them send you out the guide in the mail.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:30 pm

damian_megabass wrote:I wonder if Jeb has receipts of $1 items he buys too.....
What a silly thing to say. We are not talking about a $1 item here. We are talking about something that was likely a fair outlay for the OP at the time. If it's only worth a dollar to him, he should just pitch it in the trash and be done with it. Not even worth the shipping costs there.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:25 pm

geez diddnt want this thread to turn all hostile and stuff....the rod is worth what I paid for it, not more, not less. Its a good value rod. I normally dont use expensive tackle on kayaks in case something bad were to happen :shock:

Abu is taking care of the problem for me.

Stratos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stratos » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:17 am

I saw that happen to my brothers rod on a cast. I couldn't stop laughing. I ended up just using some super glue and he was using it within the hour again. To this day, it still is holding up fine. Good Luck

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Proof of purchase is not to show weather you actually purchased the rod. Its to prove the date that you bought it and if it is within their 5 yr warranty. Since the rod has only been out for less than 3 years. All rods should be considered for repair or replacement until that 5 year from release date has expired. Pretty Simple.

Just send the rod with the $9.95 and you will get a replacement---I guarantee it. Pure Fishing does no repair for return---they repair and stick it in their assortment at FFO.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:11 pm

a little birdy told Abu about this post. I have been in contact with someone (other then the original jack-A) about this issue. The rep I am dealing with now is much nicer and Abu Garcia is sending me a replacement rod for my broken one.

I do appreciate how they handled this situation, but still....you should hire more competent employees to deal with customer service...lazyness doesnt get your company very far. "fix it yourself" just doesnt taste very well.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:36 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:The point of this thread isn't to say they wouldn't do it with the receipt. The point is they said fix it yourself. No company should say that reguardless of the situation.
You're better of fixing it yourself. Find someone local and pay them $10 and be done. Or, pay $9.95 and $20 to ship your rod to Abu. Seems like a no brainer to me.