New GLX vs NRX

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

New GLX vs NRX

Post by jeb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:35 am

I don't understand the business model here. I see on the American Legacy site that the new GLX JWR rods are available, at least for order. But the price is almost NRX pricing. The 893C, for example, is $455 GLX vs $500 for the NRX. ShimLoomis says the NRX is their flagship rod. The question is, why would you pay the $455 when you can get the flagship rod for less than 10% more money?

I'm not trying to bag on Loomis, I just don't get it. So hoping some of you folks can help me understand.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: New GLX vs NRX

Post by BASSLAYER » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:32 am

Got AL email and was thinking the same thing Jeb.
jeb wrote: The question is, why would you pay the $455 when you can get the flagship rod for less than 10% more money?
Since recoils are frowned upon by some people the added titanium/more guides, new grips might be the culprit of the close to nrx pricing. :-k

I like the direction Loomis is taking tho. =D>

I foresee a GLX 853S this spring just wating on them 20-25% off sales. :big grin:

Scuba Scott
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scuba Scott » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm

The price point has become very close. I would have liked to have seen a few variations of some of the models. Maybe add a GLX 823 instead of another 803. It would give them some differences between the 2 in terms of blanks and potential buyers. For example: If u want a 803 u have to go NRX, if u want a 823 u have to go new glx. I think that could help the closeness in price point.

I will say that I am impressed with the new glx handle & reel seat design. It is very comfortable. I see that they are offering some other powers in some of the popular models. I am unsure of what the complete model lineup is so maybe they will offer a few variations to the tried and true BCR models. It will be interesting to compare the NRX and new glx on the water.

phiten
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by phiten » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:26 pm

many says the NRX blank is just a new name for GLX...
not sure wat special ingredients are added...

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:39 am

phiten wrote:many says the NRX blank is just a new name for GLX...
not sure wat special ingredients are added...
That is what I have heard as well from alot of independent rod builders. Basically the NRX Blanks are just the GLX blanks with different resins and minor additions. Whether true or not, it is rather funny how our preception of a certain deified product can be so obscured.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 am

The line guide point is one I had not thought of. But would you really pick what the manufacturer of the product tells you is not the best of their lineup just because of that, given the small price difference? If I was a recoil hater, I'd not settle for a lesser product in the same rod line. I'd go somewhere else.

Reel seats look to be the same for the NRX and the new GLX, although I've not seen one in person yet. And I do like the reel seats on my NRX's. Hopefully the new GLX's won't suffer the same reel seat glue issues the NRX's did!

As far as resin makeup, that's beyond what I was trying to discuss here. Is ShimLoomis lying to us about them being different? Could be, but I doubt it.

TroutStlkr
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TroutStlkr » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 am

Anybody know if the grips for the new GLX rods feature the same higher density cork of the NRX rods? Also NRX owners, how do you feel about the new cork they sourced (aside from the issue of the foregrip splitting which is supposed to have been remedied )? Does it hold up better than traditional higher grade cork?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 pm

This isn't much different from them selling the GL2, GL3, Mossyback, Bronzeback, and IMX all basically within the $200-$300 range. All their rods are grouped up in certain price points. I think when you add the GLX blank, with the new resins making them stronger and add a full lineup of Ti-SiC guides, the price is probably fairly justified. I imagine they're very fine rods.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:24 pm

tywithay wrote:This isn't much different from them selling the GL2, GL3, Mossyback, Bronzeback, and IMX all basically within the $200-$300 range. All their rods are grouped up in certain price points. I think when you add the GLX blank, with the new resins making them stronger and add a full lineup of Ti-SiC guides, the price is probably fairly justified. I imagine they're very fine rods.
Yes they are fine rods but what warrants the price difference to be only less than $50 - NRX vs GLX? That is the main question and debate.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:12 pm

Guys, here's a few pics of the differences between the handles and color green of the NRX and GLX. I own two of the new GLX crankbait rods 957/845, both exceed my expectations and a pleasure to fish with. I find I prefer the GLX handles over the NRX and Megabass X4 rods as well.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm

jeb wrote:I don't understand the business model here. I see on the American Legacy site that the new GLX JWR rods are available, at least for order. But the price is almost NRX pricing. The 893C, for example, is $455 GLX vs $500 for the NRX. ShimLoomis says the NRX is their flagship rod. The question is, why would you pay the $455 when you can get the flagship rod for less than 10% more money?

I'm not trying to bag on Loomis, I just don't get it. So hoping some of you folks can help me understand.
Yeah it doesn't make much sense, and from a manufacturers point of view, you'd think it would save them $$$ to consolidate into one line of high end rods.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:52 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
tywithay wrote:This isn't much different from them selling the GL2, GL3, Mossyback, Bronzeback, and IMX all basically within the $200-$300 range. All their rods are grouped up in certain price points. I think when you add the GLX blank, with the new resins making them stronger and add a full lineup of Ti-SiC guides, the price is probably fairly justified. I imagine they're very fine rods.
Yes they are fine rods but what warrants the price difference to be only less than $50 - NRX vs GLX? That is the main question and debate.

methinks he just gave you his answer to that.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Quillback wrote:
jeb wrote:I don't understand the business model here. I see on the American Legacy site that the new GLX JWR rods are available, at least for order. But the price is almost NRX pricing. The 893C, for example, is $455 GLX vs $500 for the NRX. ShimLoomis says the NRX is their flagship rod. The question is, why would you pay the $455 when you can get the flagship rod for less than 10% more money?

Yeah it doesn't make much sense, and from a manufacturers point of view, you'd think it would save them $$$ to consolidate into one line of high end rods.
Completely agree. It just does not make sense.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Phippy wrote:Guys, here's a few pics of the differences between the handles and color green of the NRX and GLX. I own two of the new GLX crankbait rods 957/845, both exceed my expectations and a pleasure to fish with. I find I prefer the GLX handles over the NRX and Megabass X4 rods as well.
Thanks for the pictures. It seems the GLX handle does not give you as good of access to the rod blank, so seemlingly inferior for the best sensitivity. Just adds fuel to my question here. But since it's one piece instead of two, it may prove more reliable.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:59 pm

I have to fish one before passing judgment. I will look at it from the opposite side though. If this glx with the better guides and fancy new handle are great rods, why spend the extra cash for the nrx with the recoils and past quality issues? I do agree they need some different models to set them apart, but I'll have to fish it before I can justify the extra money.