The new 2013 Shimano Cumara rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The new 2013 Shimano Cumara rods

Post by spookybaits » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The new 2013 Shimano Cumara rods

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:08 pm

I am glad they went away from the straight black like all their other rods.

Altro Cat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Altro Cat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:10 pm

^^To each their own because I do not like the new colors at all. I liked the old Cumara color because they would match up well with about any color or style of reel. The new color clashes with most every reel.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:23 pm

Altro Cat wrote:^^To each their own because I do not like the new colors at all. I liked the old Cumara color because they would match up well with about any color or style of reel. The new color clashes with most every reel.
Yes, I agree with you. I don't like the color. It looks like those ugly Lew's rods. I am just glad they went away from black since the rest of their linups are black.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:10 am

Well they are ready for purchase at T.W. I guess I'm a little disappointed. I was really looking forward to these rods, as my cumara line is hands down my favorite above my Powell Endurance line up, Dobyns Savvy and even my Phenix Recons. But hey, i saved a grip of money ordering 3 Omen Black 13 rods. We will save the comments for those sticks on another thread.
1st off, wheres the handle? It's like all blank. And I know to each his own, but that up locking reel seat drives me crazy. I've owned a rod in the past like that and every 3rd to 4th cast it would begin to loosen. Not to say these ones will, but it's a mind thing for me that changes the way I throw my bait, concerned it will come loose. The bright red, well I have seen worse, but at least it doesn't look like a toy fire truck like the new Airrus rods. I'm liking the guide set though. Bottom line, would I buy one? Most likely - I'm a tackle junkie :doh:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:12 am

Yeah I'll probably get one as well. Of course i'll want to get a scorpion to match it lol. The price is right.
I've never fished the Hm-1 blanks(cumulus). Can anyone comment on how sensitive they are, compared to say a NRX or other sensitive rods?

Pin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Pin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 am

Haven't used my Cumulus 7'1" MH yet, but having read from other posts, the HM1 blanks compare similarly to GLX in terms of light weight and sensitivity.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:00 am

Very un-attractive IMO. Just strange and I am so sick every reel and rod involving the color red. There are so many other cool colors in the spectrum to choose from. Maybe to be noticed? The older ones looked fine. If you are going to upgrade fan favorite style rods think it through. Some may enjoy the new style, so no hard feelings.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 am

I would of picked one or two of these up if it wasn't for the color. Their FUGLY.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:52 am

Something "blackish" with the rod, and something "silverish" with the reel. Makes me happy.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm surprise Shimano made it with such a bold color. They must have forgotten that many people own Curados. A green reel on a maroon rod? Sorry I know that performance over looks but that color combo......is worse than Skeete Reese junk lol.

However pair it up with a Core and man that is one light weight setup. Would be beautiful with the Stradic C14 too. Ok now I'm paying too much attention to looks. :lol:

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:45 am

I'm not thrilled with the color, but I can get over it. What really concerns me is how short the foam grip behind the reel seat is on the casting rods. On my old Cumara's, the length of the grip is perfect and just long enough for my hand. It looks a lot shorter now so I don't know how that is going to work out.

I'm also not sure if I'll like the exposed blank on the top of the spinning rod reel seat. I tried an e21 that has a reel seat like this and my hand started cramping. The old Cumara design with the carbon spacer is one of the best I've used in terms of comfort and the rod just disappearing in your hand.

These are finally showing up in stores, so hopefully people will start posting some actual experiences with them soon. I would love to see some actual rod weights too. I will post up if/when I buy one.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:06 am

The aesthetics of the new Cumara A rods will certainly not appeal to all people, just as the case with the Cumulus. But I don't doubt the on-the-water performance of these rods. If they are anything similar to the original Cumara or the discontinued Cumulus, they should be awesome rods. Hopefully the added butt cap at the end of the rod will help balance it out a little better than the Cumulus.

nickysdad
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by nickysdad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:36 am

spookybaits wrote:...The price is right.
I've never fished the Hm-1 blanks(cumulus). Can anyone comment on how sensitive they are, compared to say a NRX or other sensitive rods?
I snapped my old Cumara back in Sept. Sent it to Shimano and they sent me a letter saying they'll replace it when they have it back in stock. Got the 2013 as a replacement last week :D . The rod is a lot more sensitive than the old IM-10 graphite Cumaras. I was fishing for spotted bay bass and I thought had a strike and set the hook but it was just the 1/4oz leadhead bumping into a rock :oops: . The rod's color scheme doesn't bother me at all (paired with my Curado E5, it's my festive holiday combo), I'll take function over aesthetics any day.

pantera3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by pantera3 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:24 am

I like the old version better, and would also like to have cork as an option on the grip.