Kistler rod ratings.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Kistler rod ratings.

Post by SWH » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:59 am

Hey

How does his rod ratings compare to other brands? I noticed that most rods are mod-fast, but is this a crankbait compatible sort of moderate action or may it in fact be better suited for jigging?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kistler rod ratings.

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:30 pm

SWH wrote:Hey

How does his rod ratings compare to other brands? I noticed that most rods are mod-fast, but is this a crankbait compatible sort of moderate action or may it in fact be better suited for jigging?
Depends on the generation of what Kistler rod you're looking at. There have been a few for sure ;)

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:33 am

I have a lot of Kistlers including several rods from each series. Mod Fast would be a crankbait rod. You could also throw spinnerbaits and buzzbait type lures with it but the baits would have to be in the 1/4 to 5/8 range. The first 1/3 of the rod will load up easily. After that it will depend on the size of the fish. Kistler rods in this range are really outstanding at keeping the fish hooked, especially at the boat. The blank will have a very good parabolic curve. I loose very few crankbait fish on rods with this rating.

Crankbaitmaker
Last edited by Crankbaitmaker on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:05 am

It would be a Z-bone MH 7'3 or something alike.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:58 am

SWH wrote:It would be a Z-bone MH 7'3 or something alike.
I would call or email Trey with your question. He is very accessible on the Kistler site.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:03 am

I have 2 z-bone rods. Both have sensitive tips and will handle heavier weights than on the nameplate. Your best bet is to talk directly with Trey and describe how you will use the rod most if the time along with discussing the limits the rod can support.

I am quite happy with both rods - an ML and an MH and use core50mg7's on both of them.

Charles

flipperjig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by flipperjig » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:36 am

I have a 7' MH modfast Zbone and feel it makes a stellar jig rod. I don't consider the action of it at all like a crankbait rod such as my CBRs etc. Not a huge Kistler fan but I am really impressed by the NF blank this is built on, right up there with the Steez and GLX I have fished, maybe even better.

suprteck
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by suprteck » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

I have a custom zbone 6'9" med power moderate fast action rod that I use for crankbaits. It is very sensitive compared to other composite glass rods and has plenty of backbone for a med action rod. It has a nice parabolic bend that keeps those treble hooks stuck. I love mines.