Ever use a GLoomis escape casting rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
simple_mr2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Ever use a GLoomis escape casting rod?

Post by simple_mr2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi all,
I am going to northern minnesota to fish in a few months and wanted to take a pack rod since we will be portaging quite a bit. Has anyone ever fished with one of these? Can you please comment on sensitivity of the rod? And if you have fished or owned a great baitcasting pack rod made by another company please inform me. thanks!

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ever use a GLoomis escape casting rod?

Post by pharmboy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:50 am

I have a 7' MF Escape GLX and it is extremely sensitive esp considering it is a 3pc rod. Fished florida a half dozen times, hawaii, canada and a few other stops. Case and rod sack are great. Got a great deal on it, otherwise would have stuck w St croix.....but they didn't make multi piece rods at the time I purchased.

newgenleftcrank
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by newgenleftcrank » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:48 am

I have the MBR-783-2C GLX. (2-piece) Fishes just like the one piece. No complaints. The hard case with it is also excellent for travelling.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:11 pm

I have the ETR81-3 MHC 17. It's 6'9" 12-20 lb & rated 3/8-1oz. Similar in action to the MBR 844 IMX rod per the folks at gloomis. Makes a good travel rod that is pretty versatile for lots of species & applications. Sensitive & good power. I purchased two to replace a legend extreme & a mbr 844 imx that the airline broke a couple of years back on a fly in to northern Canada. You can fit two of these rods into one gloomis carry on case.

simple_mr2
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by simple_mr2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:12 pm

thanks guys!

I will take a look at the 2 piece GLX! and the main rod you mentioned...

the 6'9" MH was the one i was looking at. I was a little thrown off by the 3/8oz-1oz as i was thinking of throwing slightly smaller lures. It was really a toss up between that one and the 7' M power... i guess 6'9" would be better to fish out of a canoe. Also, from the pictures, it appears these rods have no exposed blank in the reel seat.... i was wondering if that affected the sensitivity but i guess not!

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:28 pm

newgenleftcrank wrote:I have the MBR-783-2C GLX. (2-piece) Fishes just like the one piece. No complaints. The hard case with it is also excellent for travelling.
I have this stick and have to agree its great. I had the ML escape spinning rod...in my opinion the escape rods lacked attention to detail, especially for the price. Reel seat was a regular Fuji seat, guides were wayyyyyy too big, and the blank was too sloppy. For that money, have mattman build you a custom 2 piece on a northfork or st. Croix.