KLX... don't be shy

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: KLX... don't be shy

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:13 am

njbasscat wrote:
Stretchnlines wrote:Thanks flipperjig, Buck2thPerch, njbasscat.

Don't really want want to hijack this thread, but what's the best power for 3/8-1/2 (plus trailers) jigs? I'll be using it to fish "deep" (20-25ft), as well as fishing wood and rock cover in about 5-10ft.
I use a Zbone LE 5 power heavy rod for 3/8 to 3/4 oz jigs and Carolina rigs with up to a 1 oz weight. It will go all the way down to 1/4 oz as well but I have other rods for that. It's a pretty versatile rod and extremely sensitive. I have a Zillion 50th on mine and it balances out well.
My 7'3" Z-Bone is a 4 power and I should correct weight range - it is from 1/4 - 3/4oz, not 3/8oz. This my deep jig rod used primarily with 3/8oz - 1/2oz. I also have no doubt in my mind I can push this rods rating to 1oz and it should handle it with no issues. With the red trims on these Z-Bone LE's it matches really nice with any reel with red - looks spectacular and permanently paired up with my Steez 103SHA!
fishingandfords wrote:Time will tell, Z bones have a good following but I'm sure the KLX is a big step down in blanks
I agree but IMO - if I am right since I have yet to grab a KLX and still waiting for the winter thaw, the KLX is to the IMX as the Zbone is to the GLX/NRX.

Stretchnlines
Angler
Angler

Post by Stretchnlines » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:26 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
njbasscat wrote:
Stretchnlines wrote:Thanks flipperjig, Buck2thPerch, njbasscat.

Don't really want want to hijack this thread, but what's the best power for 3/8-1/2 (plus trailers) jigs? I'll be using it to fish "deep" (20-25ft), as well as fishing wood and rock cover in about 5-10ft.
I use a Zbone LE 5 power heavy rod for 3/8 to 3/4 oz jigs and Carolina rigs with up to a 1 oz weight. It will go all the way down to 1/4 oz as well but I have other rods for that. It's a pretty versatile rod and extremely sensitive. I have a Zillion 50th on mine and it balances out well.
My 7'3" Z-Bone is a 4 power and I should correct weight range - it is from 1/4 - 3/4oz, not 3/8oz. This my deep jig rod used primarily with 3/8oz - 1/2oz. I also have no doubt in my mind I can push this rods rating to 1oz and it should handle it with no issues. With the red trims on these Z-Bone LE's it matches really nice with any reel with red - looks spectacular and permanently paired up with my Steez 103SHA!
Thanks. Probably will go with the LE 5 power.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 am

Off topic....

Out of curiosity, I pulled my Z-Bone LE 7'3" 4 Power out of my rod locker. I wanted to verify the MH rating. I checked and to my surprise the rating is 1/4oz - 1oz. I must have gotten the 3/4oz rating mixed up with the 6'9" Model...or it could just be age is catching up to me. ](*,) Anyways, I was wrong. Seriously, I fished this rod for a whole year thinking its a MH rod with 1/4oz -3/4oz rating and believed that too! I really really thought this rod would be able to handle 1oz and it fished more like a heavy rod. Wow. Goes to show you when you don't have a favorite rod and you don't look at the rod ratings much during usage. In my book this should be what a Heavy rod really is - max rating of 1oz. So correction to my statement, the power rating is correct on these rods. However, the MH, H, M rating is off. But technically there is no standard...so what the hell. :doh:

Here is my Z-Bone's rating: 7'3" MH ModerateFast, 4 power (Definitely a H and definitely not a MH IMO)

Since I already had my Rod Locker open, I decided to pull out my newly aquired Dobyns DX 744 for comparison sakes. Using my Steez 103HA, the Dobyns balances much better. The Z-Bone was more tip heavy. The DX 744 feels lighter while the Z-Bone felt thicker but both are equally as light as my BCR 855 and as crisp. Just whished I had the GLX 873 to really make comparisons. Lastly, one thing about these Z-Bones from Kistler, the hook keeper breaks off easily. It is a poor design. Many people with these rods have the same issues from what I am able to find out. Mine's broken (I'll post some pictures). Just don't think its worth spending $20+ to ship the rod to get the hook keeper fixed. Plus, I am used to having rods without hook keepers such as my Zillions.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:Lastly, one thing about these Z-Bones from Kistler, the hook keeper breaks off easily. It is a poor design. Many people with these rods have the same issues from what I am able to find out. Mine's broken (I'll post some pictures). Just don't think its worth spending $20+ to ship the rod to get the hook keeper fixed. Plus, I am used to having rods without hook keepers such as my Zillions.
They've given up on that hook keeper entirely on production rods from the looks of it.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:They've given up on that hook keeper entirely on production rods from the looks of it.
Hopefully that is the case. Or simply, use the traditional standard hook keepers found on the Dobyns - small and simple. From my first Ugly stick fishing rod to now, I have never had issues with these traditional standaard hook keepers.

I also like to clarify that the breakage of the hook keeper is due to a combination of the foam piece on these Z-Bone rods that sits on top/covers the reel seat screw peice and poor design. This foam peice keeps coming off and hitting the hook keeper which caused the hook keeper to break. This foam piece is a nice touch and gives some comfort but was not necessary. If you own a Z-Bone, you know what I mean.

Hopefully the new KLX series does not have this foam peice. And as thelatrobe33 stated, hopefully Kistler does not use this hook keeper design anymore.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:50 am

An interesting anecdote from the Kistler FB page yesterday:

"G.Loomis rod company thinks our KLX mark is confusingly similar to their GLX mark and will likely cause consumers to believe there is some relationship between GLX and KLX marked rods. G.Loomis believes we are intentionally trying to convince the consumer into believing that KLX is associated with Loomis. G.Loomis wants to force us to quit using our KLX mark."

I have a feeling that the KLX may have a new name soon :roll:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:An interesting anecdote from the Kistler FB page yesterday:

"G.Loomis rod company thinks our KLX mark is confusingly similar to their GLX mark and will likely cause consumers to believe there is some relationship between GLX and KLX marked rods. G.Loomis believes we are intentionally trying to convince the consumer into believing that KLX is associated with Loomis. G.Loomis wants to force us to quit using our KLX mark."

Thats pathetic. That and the crap they have been pulling with Gary, I wont be buying any new Shimano G.Loomis equipment. Hell, the only reel I consider buying from Shimano is their D series Curado, time to make the full switch to Daiwa and Dobyns.

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:11 pm

thelatrobe33 wrote:An interesting anecdote from the Kistler FB page yesterday:

I am not sure what to think on this one. On one hand, I have no problem with a company trying to defend their IP. There are far too many companies who would steal off of, or create intentional ambiguity in terms of relation to another product, just to make an easy dollar. Kistler specifically mentions Loomis, and mentions that these rods are the equivalent of rods that "retail" in the three-hundred dollar range, while using a closely-patterned nomenclature in "KLX". I won't fault someone for arguing that they are trying to make a connection in people's heads, and do a little piggybacking.

However, it seems as though it might be a bit disingenuous to suggest that they are trying to fool people, or imply that these are GLX blanks, or even the same technology. They do specify a glass scrim, and NFC. They also mention nothing of any association with G. Loomis / Shimano, instead noting that they are spec'd and assembled in-house. I would think that most people familiar with GLX rods, or who know of Kistler, know better than to make that leap.

In the end, though, business is business. I don't believe there is any real obfuscation being manifested. Nonetheless, you really can't give anyone any leeway, even if the point of contention seems petty. Kistler probably should have known better.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:25 am

Why would they name it 'KLX'? I mean, seriously. Of all the names in the world to name a rod, they chose 'KLX'. It's not even a cool name. :doh:
If I was G loomis and had the names NRX, IMX, & GLX copyrighted ... Damn right i would be pissed & issue a cease/desist order.
And while I'm being honest, the original post sounds like a sales pitch written by kistler. I'm sure it's not, but it reads that way to me.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:35 am

spookybaits wrote:Why would they name it 'KLX'? I mean, seriously. Of all the names in the world to name a rod, they chose 'KLX'. It's not even a cool name. :doh:
If I was G loomis and had the names NRX, IMX, & GLX copyrighted ... Damn right i would be pissed & issue a cease/desist order.
And while I'm being honest, the original post sounds like a sales pitch written by kistler. I'm sure it's not, but it reads that way to me.
If I were ShimLoomis, I'd be suing too. Kistler has a long history of acting as an agitator toward G.Loomis. I doubt that the name KLX was chosen arbitrarily given Trey's history of constantly comparing his rods to theirs and claiming superiority. :roll:

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Has anyone used these specifically for carolina rigs? I need 1 more rod to complete my line up. I used to have a Veritas for this duty but was less than impressed.

I have zero confidence in this technique so I'm looking for a rod that can help me buildit up. Looks like they have the 7'3" heavy on sale for 139.

Any personal experiences?

Thanks again!