Micro guides and leader

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Micro guides and leader

Post by LAGVPI99 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Thinking about a Duckett flipping stick... Can those micros work with 50lb braid a d 20lb leader? Modified Albright knot is what I am using right now.

Thanks!

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Micro guides and leader

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 am

Is the rod available locally for you?

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:00 am

i don't have that rod but i do have microguides on my phenix k2. i've used braid with fluoro leader on it and it worked alright (also with an alberto knot). still better with no leader but it wasn't too bad.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:44 am

Without knowing what size micro guides, that's tough to tell.

I do have guys that don't want anything smaller than a size 5 on their rods due to leaders.

Pretty much any size requires you to be able to tie a good knot.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks for the help. Yes, the rod is local - may have to try a test run.

I've been fishing only braid with leader for a year now (except for drop shotting which I rarely do). The Modified Albright has given me good success and I have had no issues except on one spinning rod when I went to the beach last summer. There were several factors at play - I think.

I've caught fish up to 7lb with my braid/leader combos and have had no issues of knots slipping.

The Modified Albright seems to tie the best looking knot I've found - especially on the line sizes I'm considering here.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 am

LAGVPI99 wrote:Thanks for the help. Yes, the rod is local - may have to try a test run.

I've been fishing only braid with leader for a year now (except for drop shotting which I rarely do). The Modified Albright has given me good success and I have had no issues except on one spinning rod when I went to the beach last summer. There were several factors at play - I think.

I've caught fish up to 7lb with my braid/leader combos and have had no issues of knots slipping.

The Modified Albright seems to tie the best looking knot I've found - especially on the line sizes I'm considering here.
Yeah that is a great knot.

What you could do to at least get an idea is bring the knot with you to the store. Tie it at home then reel it all in and bring the reel to the store. Of course being able to cast it in a live situation would be best. I don't own anything with micros so I don't know how much clearance you would need.

You could also look into the hollow core braid/leader system and totally eliminate that bigger knot. I'm really considering doing this myself with one of my big bait set ups this year. The splice in that connection looks to be about as good as you can currently get.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:26 am

The micros on the duckett are pretty small. much smaller than the ones on my zbones.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 am

For best results... to get that knot as small as possible, you should get at least one of those finger saver tools as demonstrated here by Dean of Hi's Tackle:

http://youtu.be/IEYeUl5bBCA

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 am

I don't think it would work well for you.

snowman custom baits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by snowman custom baits » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:33 am

I built some rods with #4micros and I tried 50lb with 17lb leader using the Alberto knot and didn't like it. I dropped down to 30lb and 15lb leader and it still didn't work well for me. I built a spinning rod with #5 guides 30lb braid and 12lb leader and it works a lot better for me. #5 is small as I will go on guides that will pass a knot for my use.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:48 am

I have 2 Kistler Z-bone custom rods with size 6 micro guides. I use 20# Sufix braid and 14-20# fluoro leaders with modified albright knots.

Happy with performance.

Charles

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Cal wrote:For best results... to get that knot as small as possible, you should get at least one of those finger saver tools as demonstrated here by Dean of Hi's Tackle:

X2

I pick up a couple of these and love them. You really can pull your braid knots much tighter. Also get the boomerang snip while you're at it. :D

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 pm

smalliesteve wrote:
Cal wrote:For best results... to get that knot as small as possible, you should get at least one of those finger saver tools as demonstrated here by Dean of Hi's Tackle:

X2

I pick up a couple of these and love them. You really can pull your braid knots much tighter. Also get the boomerang snip while you're at it. :D
X3 (and i love my boomerang snips too)