New glx guides

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
nagz
Angler
Angler

New glx guides

Post by nagz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi folks

I'll admit, I'm more of an avid reader than a poster, but I have to ask, the guides on the new loomis glx baitcast rods, are they smaller in diameter like the nrx, or more the size of the old version?
Im only asking as I was going to purchase an nrx but was told the guides would be too small when using thirty lb braid tied to 40-80lb leader

Thanks in advance and well done on a great forum

Cheers

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New glx guides

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:16 pm

There not really really small like micros

nagz
Angler
Angler

Post by nagz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:21 pm

fishingandfords wrote:There not really really small like micros
So you don't think a leader not will be an issue?

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 pm

80lb leader? Something toothy, huh? Are you using an albright or alberto knot? How big does it end up being?

What ring size do you need the guides to be to pass the knot? I'm not sure many of us on this forum are used to using leaders that strong/thick. Probably easier for you to say what ring size it needs to be & the owners can measure the tip & guides.

nagz
Angler
Angler

Post by nagz » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Hi
I use 80lb leader when chasing barramundi with large lures like the savage gear soft 4plays
They normally get inhaled and the fish have very raspy mouths and sharp gill spikes that will slice through anything including your finger. They also tend to live in pretty snaggy areas, so its more for abrasion resistance than anything.
I use a knot called a slim beauty that come out quite thin, but when casting these larger lures, its not uncommon to knock the eye out of the lat guide, hence the need for larger guides

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:25 am

I was comparing them at the Classic Loomis display yesterday. Jason Poe was very informative and easy to talk to. But the guides inside diameter looked very similar between the two rods.

I asked Jason about the apparent clear coat finish on the green NRX's compared to the blues. He assured me it was just that the paint was easier to see through on the greenies, where it was more opaque on the blue ones. He walked us over to an area with very bright lights in the next booth over and showed us what he was talking about. He mentioned that the rods needed a coating on them that protects the rod material from breaking down from UV rays over time.

He said he personally prefers the blue ones after I mentioned that was my preference. Said it really stated quality to him, which is why he picked it in the first place. Not that it matters, just interesting.