dobyns savy vs phenix recon?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

dobyns savy vs phenix recon?

Post by Mattpusa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Need some thoughts and opinions looking for a flipping and pitching rod

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: dobyns savy vs phenix recon?

Post by godshippy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Ok...so the Phenix rods look and feel sick.

BUT!

My biggest issue is with the guides on the new Phenix rods because they stick out off the blank pretty far, and I could totally see braid getting wrapped around it.

I have an older Shimano Clarus rods with the same style...the guides just stick off the blank really far. While the rod will never break...man I hate the guides.

Other than the guides, I feel like the new Phenix Recon2 and even the new M1 are pretty awesome feeling. I would totally get one, but I'm waiting to see if they do another change up with the guides.

I do own an Ultra MBX, and that thing is sick...I have the 7 foot ML and it feels great with a T3 Ballistic on it. Haven't gotten a chance to fish it yet, but I'm excited to!

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:44 pm

does anyone know where phenix blanks are made?

jmatsuoka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmatsuoka » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Recon 2's and M1's are the way to go. Phenix is an awesome company. All rods are made over seas (china) in Phenix's warehouse. The company itself and office is based out of cerritos, CA. They build some pretty awesome rods, its nice because they manufacture all their own parts as well :). As for a flipping and pitching rod i use a RECON 796 for punching big baits. I use a 765 for flipping smaller plastics and jigs. I also have played with the 7'8" MH M1. Those are pretty bad to the bone rod and they're so light and very versatile. You can also use the 8 ft swimbait MH for flipping as well, just be aware the handle is a little long but thats a good back up. If you like shorter pitching rods the M1 7'2"H is a good choice. For all around flipping and pitching you didn't ask but the ultimate is a UMBX-707H = AWESOME! hope this helps.

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:27 pm

which is better m1 or reckons? and would u get this over a kistler klx?

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Mattpusa wrote:does anyone know where phenix blanks are made?
if you are talking about the recons, it is toray graphite that is rolled in phenix's factory in china.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Mattpusa wrote:which is better m1 or reckons? and would u get this over a kistler klx?
better for what?

yes.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Mattpusa wrote:which is better m1 or reckons? and would u get this over a kistler klx?
Personally I would pick the KLX. You talk about guide size, and the KLX has the best guides around for fishing braid IMO. Not a fan of the reel seat on the Recon, and the hook hanger location on the M1, and am not interested in the need to modify rods. The blank on the Savvy just feels dead IMO, and the cork appears kinda cheap to me. I have a few KLX rods I have not got to run through the paces yet. They sold me on the NFC blank and guides at such a nice price. I have to admit, the 13 Fishing Omen Black rods are superb at 100 bucks.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:10 pm

I've owned a Recon C715 Gen 1 and a Savvy 703C. The Recon is super light (3.7 oz), but too tip heavy for me. The Savvy is heavier (4.6 oz), but well-balanced with most any reel, even ones as light as my Core. If you only gave me those two options, I would probably lean more towards a Savvy. Plus, I have a gripe against split reel seats vs. full reel seats for flipping and pitching into cover. Full reel seats are just more comfortable for me using techniques that are fished in heavier cover.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 pm

bassninja wrote:I've owned a Recon C715 Gen 1 and a Savvy 703C. The Recon is super light (3.7 oz), but too tip heavy for me. The Savvy is heavier (4.6 oz), but well-balanced with most any reel, even ones as light as my Core. If you only gave me those two options, I would probably lean more towards a Savvy. Plus, I have a gripe against split reel seats vs. full reel seats for flipping and pitching into cover. Full reel seats are just more comfortable for me using techniques that are fished in heavier cover.
this is kind of amusing. that extra ounce can be used to balance the recon (with weights in the butt). now you have two rods at around 4 and a half ounces. :big grin: anyway, i like split reel seats. oh well ... to each, his own. :D

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:57 am

phenix seems like some great rods but its also very hard to decide with a kistler klx at the same price range!

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:54 am

froteur wrote: this is kind of amusing. that extra ounce can be used to balance the recon (with weights in the butt). now you have two rods at around 4 and a half ounces. :big grin: anyway, i like split reel seats. oh well ... to each, his own. :D
I forgot to mention, I also have a gripe against fishing rods with metal duct-taped to the butt end. :)

Mattpusa
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mattpusa » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:19 pm

recon 2 or klx at the same price range? which one to choose

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 pm

bassninja wrote:
froteur wrote: this is kind of amusing. that extra ounce can be used to balance the recon (with weights in the butt). now you have two rods at around 4 and a half ounces. :big grin: anyway, i like split reel seats. oh well ... to each, his own. :D
I forgot to mention, I also have a gripe against fishing rods with metal duct-taped to the butt end. :)
so do i. :big grin:

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:45 pm

I would easily chose the savvy over the recon. I had 4 recons and 3 of them broke with no obvious cause... Now I'm in no way bashing phenix just simply stating what happened. I've had great success with my savvys and they are a joy to fish with, very well balanced. There is the 735 that can double as a frog rod and a 766. Hope this helps.