Fenwick Aetos A701MHFC Initial Thoughts

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fenwick Aetos A701MHFC Initial Thoughts

Post by johnnybassboat » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:05 am

johnnybassboat wrote:
johnnybassboat wrote:I have two of these rods, both casting. Both of my rods have a front lockdown collar that is cork and must be turned to tighten the reel to the seat. I have had one since before they became available in stores here(it was warranty replacement). The other I just got about a month ago. I really like these rods alot,not a problem yet. I used to live in Algona Iowa not far from spirit lake. I have purchased many rods there in the past, I have heard that they dont deal like they used to, is this true. I remember getting rods out there for about 33-50% off. :big grin:
Oops I guess I spoke to soon. I was fishing with my 7 foot mhxfc Aetos today and it broke about 4 inches down from the tip. It happened on a hookset on a 1 pound smallmouth with a 3/8 oz. rugby jig and a beaver. I also had on 40 lbs. 832 braid and a 12 lbs. floro leader. I really like these rods and will get another one from fenwick for warranty I hope. That little bass shouldn't have that much resistance on a hookset, I have landed lots of larger largemouths and smallmouths on this same combo. Hopefully just a fluke. :crying:
Just got back my new Aetos rod from Fenwick. Great service and great rods. The rod was replaced no questions asked just sent in $10 to handle shipping. So all I got to say is a great rod at a great price and a great warranty what more could you ask for. Thank you Fenwick for the great customer service. :D

lmbfisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbfisherman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:40 am

I haven't had those problems as listed above on my 2 Fenwick ET rods and 2 Aetos rods. I've fished the heck out of the spinning rods (1 Aetos and 1 ET rods), I've also am using the Heavy/Fast Aetos as a Carolina rig, very sensitive rod and performs very well. I guess it's like any other manufacturer sometimes you just get a bad one. Luckily I haven't had any "bad ones" from all of my rods..*knock on wood*

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:46 am

I ordered the 68 med. H fast last night. Have no idea what I'm going to use it for, but she's coming. I'm hoping it will be a good fit for my half ounce R2S Humbug minnows and Cultiva rippin minnows [-o<

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:39 am

I think you will like it just fine. I have the same rod and mostly use it for smallmouth with a 3/16 tungsten weight and a beaver. I fish this setup in the rocks on the mississippi river usually pitching. Great rod and pretty sensitive for the money. Have you fished yours yet Hogsticker, let us know what ya think.

iatacs19
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by iatacs19 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:04 am

This is brand new rod (A701MHFC) that was a replacement for a broken Elite Bass. I went to put on the reel for the first time ever and the cork just snapped clean off.

It seems like a bad design to extend the cork material above the plastic reel screw where all the torque is applied to secure the reel.
20150424_1840421111111.jpg
20150424_1840421111111.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 3847 times
20150424_1842062222222.jpg
20150424_1842062222222.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 3847 times

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 pm

My only remaining Aetos which I love is the 74M. It has had a couple of wraps of tape holding the cork together for two years right where yours broke. I just make sure to turn the lower Graphite portion whenpunting a reel.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:08 am

iatacs19 wrote:This is brand new rod (A701MHFC) that was a replacement for a broken Elite Bass. I went to put on the reel for the first time ever and the cork just snapped clean off.

It seems like a bad design to extend the cork material above the plastic reel screw where all the torque is applied to secure the reel.
20150424_1840421111111.jpg
20150424_1842062222222.jpg
I own many of the Aetos Rods.(37 Fenwick Rods Total)..Have not had this issue like I did with the ET Smallmouth series in which I had this exact same problem. Difeerence b/w the 2 for the clampdown foregrip was that there was no plastic portion on the smallie series....on the Aetos series there is and that is where all the torque needed to be applied when mounting the reel...if the torque was applied to the cork...I could see why this would happen. If you wanna trade me "even up" for my Fenwick BNWTags Glass Crankshaft 7-3" ...I will take that rod as is. About 12 years ago...Fenwick tried a similar design with a "ratcheting"---"clicking sound" type front grip and they would very easily strip out....it was when they first moved the Techna AV line from USA to Thailand...after about a year of so of that and the complaints...they went back to the old style. I wish that Pure Fishing would come up with their own proprietary Reel seat and use it on all their rods in Pinnacle and Abu and Fenwick line and kinda make it their signatory line and stay with it. I really like this Aetos reel seat...maybe just get rid of the front cork portion and make that it. The Skelton Reel seat by Daiwa is my other favorite.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:00 pm

I have 3 Aetos rods, 1 spinning and 2 casting and I haven't had a problem. I also have 3 ET Smallmouth rods and I had the reel seat fail on a casting model but Fenwick replaced the rod for 10 bucks and they let me keep the old rod which ended up being an easy fix for a rod builder as it was the threads breaking loose from the blank, nothing was stripped out. I do agree with E73Bass in that the Fuji Skeleton reel seat is super nice, it is my favorite and when I needed a longer trap and square bill rod I grabbed a new HMG 7'2"M-MF, strange rod that is medium power but rated 3/8oz to 1oz but it does feel like a medium with more backbone. The fact that Fenwick used the skeleton reel seat on the HMG series, along with the fact there was a model that I needed, is what made me grab it and I'll be honest, the epoxy work and build quality along with how well it feels and fishes is remarkable to me for a rod of this price point and I think that is what got me interested in these rods as they seem to have what I was looking for but in an affordable package that doesn't make me think I'm sacrificing performance for price, they work well for me and so far I haven't had the problems.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed May 27, 2015 11:02 pm

Broke the tip on my 74M yesterday. Went to the local shop and blindly grabbed a replacement off the shelf. Got it home and the cork and composite cork are already separating from the graphite nut and each other, and the trim ring in front of the trigger on the blank doesn't have a speck of epoxy on it, it's just sliding up and down the bank.
Love the performance of the rods, but soooooo done with Fenwick.