I get to spend $425 in free $ and need suggestions/opinions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

I get to spend $425 in free $ and need suggestions/opinions

Post by Mnbasser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:38 pm

And "donating it to me" doesn't qualify as an answer ;)
I've already decided a DX743SF spinning will be heading my way shortly. I've had my eye on a Phenix X10 (want to try a composite rod for lipless cranks) for awhile now so the balance might go towards that unless someone has better suggestions. And for those of you who have DX743SF's, and there seem to be a lot of you, what reel's are you using?
Last edited by Mnbasser on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiscmike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: I get to spend $425 in free $ and need suggestions/opini

Post by wiscmike » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:41 pm

i have a chronarch 50e on my dx743

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Mnbasser wrote:And "donating it to me" doesn't qualify as an answer ;)
I've already decided a DX743SF spinning will be heading my way shortly. I've had my eye on a Phenix X10 (want to try a composite rod for lipless cranks) for awhile now so the balance might go towards that unless someone has better suggestions. And for those of you who have DX743SF's, and there seem to be a lot of you, what reel's are you using?
Shimano Sustain 2500.
wiscmike wrote:i have a chronarch 50e on my dx743
That Chronarch 50E must look funny on a spinning reel. :big grin: I know, you have the casting rod. :doh:

wiscmike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wiscmike » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:17 pm

:oops: :clown: oops , bstuckey what can I say. :doh: I would agree the sustain would be a better choice ! Definitley more comfortable.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:57 pm

I can't really offer any help but just wanted to ask, out of curiosity, what are you guys using this rod for?

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:37 pm

I don't have the DX743SF but I do have a DX703SF and have a Sustain 2500 on it, which would also be a nice reel for your 743.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 pm

cst wrote:I can't really offer any help but just wanted to ask, out of curiosity, what are you guys using this rod for?
I can't speak for the other guys but I'm going to be using it for 5" senkos and Texas rigs

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:16 pm

U can find a daiwa certate for that price on deals.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:42 pm

A guy has an X10 on here for sale. 100 bucks. Might be back a few pages or so.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:30 am

If you want a rod for lipless cranks I'd strongly advise against the X10. It's as limp as a wet noodle. Maybe bump it up to the X11 or pick another brand altogether.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 am

Since it looks like you are from MN, the Northwest Sports Show is kicking off at the Minneapolis Convention Center in 2 weeks. I've gotten some pretty good deals there before on reels and rods, including Dobyns Champion Extremes. Just an FYI. 8-)

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:04 pm

thelatrobe33 wrote:If you want a rod for lipless cranks I'd strongly advise against the X10. It's as limp as a wet noodle. Maybe bump it up to the X11 or pick another brand altogether.
funny. i use my x-10 for lipless cranks all the time. but i "do" agree i like the x-13 better for lipless. :D

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

froteur wrote:
thelatrobe33 wrote:If you want a rod for lipless cranks I'd strongly advise against the X10. It's as limp as a wet noodle. Maybe bump it up to the X11 or pick another brand altogether.
funny. i use my x-10 for lipless cranks all the time. but i "do" agree i like the x-13 better for lipless. :D
Well crap, now I'm totally second guessing that choice. And of course there's no Phenix dealer anywhere close. Back to the drawing board..

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Mnbasser wrote:
froteur wrote:
Well crap, now I'm totally second guessing that choice. And of course there's no Phenix dealer anywhere close. Back to the drawing board..
i use my x10 for lipless crankbaits ALL the time. my comment above is because i fish the delta and clear lake, where the x13 is better. that's why i prefer that rod. when i fish the other lakes ....... i use the x10

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:20 pm

bstuckey wrote:
Shimano Sustain 2500.
wiscmike wrote:i have a chronarch 50e on my dx743
That Chronarch 50E must look funny on a spinning reel. :big grin: I know, you have the casting rod. :doh:

I do have an In-Fisherman video in which one of the Linders is clearly using a spinning reel on a BC rod. :lol: :lol:
Using it for a float-n-fly IIRC.

Sorry OP, this adds nothing to your question. :whistle: :big grin: