Need info on St Croix Eyecon spinning rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Need info on St Croix Eyecon spinning rod

Post by zalan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:17 am

Hi,
I'm looking into getting my first St Croix rod and since I do not have the possibility to see them in person, would like to get some opinions.
What I would like to have is a medium light spinning rod (2 piece only), slightly longer than 6 foot and would use it for small plastics on a jighead for Bass, Zander and Perch fishing. St. Croix has the Eyecon and it has the Jig-N-Rig rod in 2 piece model and this is what I'm looking at. I always liked the design of the St Croix rods, and this one has exactly the same handle what I prefer. Even if I would go custom, I would make the same, so I really want to like this rod :D
What do you think of this rod? The only St Croix I saw in person was the light rated Premier in travel version (4 piece), it was a bit soft to my liking and I worry that the Eyecon could be similar since it is made from the same material. Also how these Batson guides work? I never heard of them, are they any good?
Searching the forums I saw that people like to have at least the Avid series. My budget is limited, the Avid would strech it a lot and I like the design of the Eyecon better. Is it worth to get the Eyecon?
Any opinion would be welcome!
Thanks!
Zalan

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Need info on St Croix Eyecon spinning rod

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 pm

I've only handled the Eyecon rods and have never actually fished them. They felt a little off balance to me but seemed ok. For the applications you describe, I use a St Croix Premier 6'6" ML 2 piece and it is great. St Croix does some Premier split grips exclusively for Cabelas which is the one I have, and I also have the light version. I've always like the Premier series, I still use the 6'6"M casting rod I bought in 2001, it was the first "nice" rod I ever bought.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:07 pm

You had mentioned the Avid series as well. Interestingly, I am in the process of selling off my 3 Avids but keeping my 3 Premiers. The Avids are nice, but not worth the extra $ IMHO

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 pm

The avid is the better rod and worth the money in my eyes.
The Triumph, Premier and Eyecon are built on the same blank with the eyecon having a few unique tapers and lenths.

The Avid is a better blank and you can really tell the difference.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 pm

Thank you guys for the info, I really apreciate it!
Regarding the balance of the eyecon, I kind of expect it to be tip heavy. With these kind of handles, I hold the rod at the reel when I cast and having a tip heavy rod helps with that. While fishing the lure, I switch hand position and hold the rod a bit above the reel. In this position it should not be tip heavy and since the reel seat is not under my fingers, it is very comfortable. So if it is only slightly tip heavy, that is fine as it is intentional.
What I would look into is info on sensitivity and the durability of the guides, but any other opinion would be welcome.
Regarding the Avid, I would really only get it if you guys say that the Eyecon is not a good buy. I'm still in the fence and close pulling the trigger, but to be honest, I do not like buying rods unseen. Unfortunately we have no dealer in Hungary.
Knowing that the eyecon has unique tapers gives confidence, I was hoping that it is not the same rod as the premier with different cosmetics. Not that the premier is not good, it is just the one I handled is not really a jig rod. My friend use it for trout and chub, and he loves it :)

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:57 pm

While I haven't fishing a Eyecon I used a Triumph for two seasons with no signs of wear on the guides. I used braided line and use it a lot. I never had a problem with it. Sensitivity was pretty good and so was the action.

Eyecons aren't a bad but I would consider a Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye rod for the same money.

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks Gabriel for the infos!

There could be a change of plans :) I was browsing the webshops in EU and I found the Avid for exactly the same price as the Eyecon I was looking at. I assume if the price is the same, the Avid becomes a better buy. I guess there is a reason why it is 50% more expensive in the US. So I might become an Avid user after all :)

zalan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by zalan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:31 am

It is final, I ordered the Avid as the price was VERY good and even shipping was reasonable. Thanks everyone for the help, I hope I won't regret it :D