Spinning rod for dragging tubes?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Spinning rod for dragging tubes?

Post by bnl » Sun May 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Question, why is using spinning gear the accepted practice when dragging a tube for smallmouths? What are the advantages or spinning over casting gear for this technique?

Anyone out there ever use casting gear for this? I was thinking of using my NRX893c for dragging 1/4 to 3/8 tubes and since I don't own a lot of spinning gear, I was wondering what I'm missing in using casting gear over spinning.

Thanks!

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning rod for dragging tubes?

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon May 06, 2013 12:09 am

Vanquish with NRX852S is my new spinning outfit for dragging tubes. I use spinning as it really helps when fishing for smallies in the big water. When you are on simcoe or erie the winds can get nasty, the spinning outfit helps allot.

I also use reels with deep spool, you are often letting out 100 yards of line.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 am

For flipping tube and casting that size tube in shallow water I use a casting set up but when I'm going for smallies in deeper water or on the river I prefer the spinning rod for a couple of reasons. The first is the bait falling straight down without having to strip line as there are times when the smallies will hit it on the fall and when stripping line you'll never know it. Another reason is wind, especially on big water like Erie but over all it is the sraight fall that makes the difference as you want to grag the tube on the bottom as long as you can and if it comes back toward you well you can loose 2 feet or more depending on how deep you're fishing.

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:53 am

There really is no advantage for a baitcaster with deep water and barely any cover. I find myself trying to horse these fish in once the baitcasters are out, and I've lost a couple of pigs last fall doing that.
As discussed, unless you are tucked away somewhere, you are often fishing in 2-3 feet waves. The baitcasters may look more "pro" but you are just making life harder for yourself

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 am

Tubes also fall better on slack line and in deep water, this is more easily accomplished with a spinning rod in my opinion.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am

cndbasshunter wrote:Vanquish with NRX852S is my new spinning outfit for dragging tubes. I use spinning as it really helps when fishing for smallies in the big water. When you are on simcoe or erie the winds can get nasty, the spinning outfit helps allot.

I also use reels with deep spool, you are often letting out 100 yards of line.

100 yards? Seems crazy and I would see setting the hook being hard with a spinning rod

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

I find it easier to have a hard hook set with a spinning reel. I hold my spinning reels with two fingers in front and two behind the reel. I can grip the rod quite firm...kinda like your making a fist and snap the rod tip up. That being said, I rarley set the hook very hard anyway :lol:

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 am

bnl wrote:I was thinking of using my NRX893c for dragging 1/4 to 3/8 tubes and since I don't own a lot of spinning gear, I was wondering what I'm missing in using casting gear over spinning.
That rod would be sweet for tubes. When I was out on St. Clair last summer I wish I would've thought of using mine instead of my spinning rod to test it out!

I love that rod for several techniques and species… great for swimming a grub too!

teamdaiwa5
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by teamdaiwa5 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:13 pm

There's something about having a 6 lb smallmouth peeling drag off a spinning reel that just makes me keep it in my hands. That said, when dragging, you'll discover its easier to maintain bottom contact by opening the bail occasionally...especially in 3-5 footers. Casting gear has its place, but with deeper water, lighter line, and little cover, I'd much prefer spinning gear. NRX852S and Steez 2500 for me.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 am

Excellent tube jig rod the NRX852S JWR is, perfect length soft tip with a unreal amount of backbone. Balances well and look for a 3000 size reel. I paired mine up with a Stella FB 3000, it's older but a tank. Can't get enough of 2 power NRX.

Good luck in your search, I was handling a 7'6" Medium Cumara. Haven't fished it but have a look at them, very nice rods.

MTBF

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue May 07, 2013 6:50 am

Honestly the difference isnt between a spinning setup vs casting.. the rod is the biggest game changer IMO.. for tubes, I, Myself would use a spinning outfit, mainly because it can hold more line and for me with a wrist problem, it helps me fish longer.. When fishing a tube its mostly cast and drag with the occational flip off the bottom here and there.. dont over think this technique, its very simple..

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue May 07, 2013 12:08 pm

JerryC wrote:Honestly the difference isnt between a spinning setup vs casting.. the rod is the biggest game changer IMO.. for tubes, I, Myself would use a spinning outfit, mainly because it can hold more line and for me with a wrist problem, it helps me fish longer.. When fishing a tube its mostly cast and drag with the occational flip off the bottom here and there.. dont over think this technique, its very simple..
I'm the opposite spinning reels cause pain in my wrist so I only use them when I have too.

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Wed May 08, 2013 9:41 am

JerryC wrote:Honestly the difference isnt between a spinning setup vs casting.. the rod is the biggest game changer IMO.. for tubes, I, Myself would use a spinning outfit, mainly because it can hold more line and for me with a wrist problem, it helps me fish longer.. When fishing a tube its mostly cast and drag with the occational flip off the bottom here and there.. dont over think this technique, its very simple..
Agree to not over think this. Just make sure it's a longer stout rod for distant hook sets. Big mature smallmouth have very thick and dense flesh in and around the mouth and can be tough to pin when far off. The rod also has to be sensitive enough to feel the fish pick up the tube...

bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bnl » Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 am

Thanks for all the info. It is a good discussion and is going to help me out for sure.

cueball
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cueball » Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 am

One issue with a bait caster for dragging is that the rod and reel wants spin so that the reel is down. You have to control the rod to keep the reel up. Granted this is not a lot of effort, but with a spinning reel you can completely relax your hand and just let it hang. Spiral wrapped bait casting rods help mitigate this.