Rod Action - Jig & Worm

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Rod Action - Jig & Worm

Post by just4kix » Wed May 08, 2013 11:23 am

Hey folks,

I'm looking to purchase a med. heavy Jig & Worm rod & would like opinions on whether to go with a fast or X-fast action?

Thanks!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Rod Action - Jig & Worm

Post by Tokugawa » Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 am

That is such a personal preference. I'd even add the "regular" action into the conversation. Personally, I don't care for x-fast actions unless it is a drop-shot rod. I prefer a fast or sometimes something closer to a "regular" for jig and worm...depends on the line and presentation. I have a feeling it will be a split verdict on here tho.

FYI - by x-fast I mean an RDA of 70 or more. Fast mid-high 60s. Regular is mid 60s.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 am

Fast or Mod Fast. I feel you move the bait too much with a X fast.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 am

Tokugawa wrote:That is such a personal preference. I'd even add the "regular" action into the conversation. Personally, I don't care for x-fast actions unless it is a drop-shot rod. I prefer a fast or sometimes something closer to a "regular" for jig and worm...depends on the line and presentation. I have a feeling it will be a split verdict on here tho.

FYI - by x-fast I mean an RDA of 70 or more. Fast mid-high 60s. Regular is mid 60s.

I also prefer a fast...often even on the slow end of fast. My favorite Jig Rod is my MB 705 IM North Fork Composites custom build. It's a 71.6 AA, which is part of the Common Cents System, a method of measuring rod/blank power and action statistics. The AA is the angle the tip is at in relation to the rod when 1/3 of the rod is loaded, so similar to the RDA system. Although it feels more mod-fast to me.

Anyways long story short, I believe it has more to do with the tip power relative to the jig size you're fishing, and the graphite modulus.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed May 08, 2013 12:01 pm

Finnz922 wrote:Fast or Mod Fast.
The type of line will have a major impact on this. A low stretch line then fast is great, braid i would think fast or mod fast. I think x-fast might have been good with a line with a lot of stretch. The total system needs to have some give in the line or the rod. Some may argue x-fast with braid, but thats not for me.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:53 pm

Personal preference here. I believe x-fast would help with the hooksets while a mod-fast would be better to keep the fish pinned.

Hooked_On_Bass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Hooked_On_Bass » Wed May 08, 2013 10:03 pm

I prefer an X-Fast action on my Jig & Worm rods.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed May 08, 2013 11:50 pm

I like the X-fast for spinning, specifically drop shot and shaky head but med-heavy casting rods I prefer a fast action. The reason is I use different lines depending on what I'm doing, mono is used a lot but braid also comes into the game and an extra fast action with braid doesn't work to well.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:41 am

I prefer fast action casting rods for jigs & worms. They allow the tip to load better and I feel casts get a little more distance and accuracy.

5poundhooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 5poundhooker » Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 am

I also prefer fast of mod-fast. Extra-fast will usually not load quite as well when setting the hook on jigs in particular or in casting accuracy. You also have to keep in mind that just because the manufacturer says it is extra-fast does not mean that that is the case. This can apply to both factory rods and blanks. It really is just personal preference, but I believe that the rod taper will effect hook setting, hook up percentages, casting & finally the proper bend to play a fish well when needed.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Thu May 09, 2013 7:51 am

i got the reflexes of a slug.

xf here.

just4kix
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by just4kix » Fri May 10, 2013 3:58 am

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it was very helpful. :D

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Sun May 12, 2013 6:50 am

For normal conditions under 15' I like a fast action, when fishing deep water, or in gin clear water where I like to fish farther from the boat, I will go with the XF most of the time. I always run braid as a main line with Fluoro or mono for a leader.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 pm

I find I can do well with just plain 'fast'.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 am

xfast for a casting rod in MH. I use FC line. I would not want a xFast and braid set-up as my MH worm rod.