Rough Day on the Lake Today!

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Bowman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rough Day on the Lake Today!

Post by Bowman » Sat May 25, 2013 10:37 am

Man I had a bad day on the lake this morning. Started throwing a weightless Senko and snapped a Phenix K2 715H on a hook set. Then about an hour later, I set the hook on another fish while throwing a Yellow Magic and snapped a M1 72MH rod. Talk about wanted to throw up. Anybody else having trouble with Phenix rods breaking? I have 6 Phenix custom rods and these are the first ones I've ever had problems with. Gonna make a call to Phenix Tuesday morning and see what they say. I can see one breaking but tow in one day? :(

snowman custom baits
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rough Day on the Lake Today!

Post by snowman custom baits » Sat May 25, 2013 10:51 am

I have had two of my four break. First was only about an inch from the tip so I just fixed it but the elixir blank I had break I had to send back was replaced within two weeks. I don't know if there's a problem with the blanks or if unknowingly did something to compromise the blanks but the customer service is very good.

Bowman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bowman » Sun May 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Good to hear. I will contact them Tuesday.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sun May 26, 2013 5:16 pm

WOW! I'm surprised because I haven't had an issue yet. I've got one of the new 7'2H M1 rods and I put that rod through hell saltwater fishing and even overloading the recommendations with swimbait fishing. The rod handled everything fine. Now as far as custom phenix rods go, I have the Ultra MBX 7'6" dropshot blank rated for 6-12lb that I use for bat ray fishing to try and test the rod's capabilities. I still have yet to break that blank. This is why I'm curious how your rod broke. Anyways, Phenix should be able to help you. Great company.

rh_916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rh_916 » Sun May 26, 2013 11:34 pm

I have an 714 k2, mbx 707h, m1 7'8" h and havent had any issues with mines. I did break an s706m which was my fault tho.

Bowman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bowman » Mon May 27, 2013 12:41 pm

I have two M1 72MH,one K2 765H, one K2 715H, one M1 72H and two Ultra MBX 707H rods plus one X-13 Cranking rod. These are the only two that I've ver had problems with. I fish with the M-1's frog fishing and they are awesome. Not sure why the M-1 broke because its a stout rod but the K2's scare me. They are so light that they make me feel uneasy fishing with them. Lol.

Str8upirish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Str8upirish » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:32 am

I have just MBX's, Recons, M1 and K2. The only one I had break that wasn't my fault was my Recon 796 that I broke on a hook set. But it was one of the Gen 1 Recons and they replaced it with out a problem with a Gen2 version. My K2 makes me nervous too but you just got to realize its a light weight highly sensitive rod that you don't want to be high sticking or swinging toads over the side of the boat with it. Something I had to teach my self.

Bowman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bowman » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am

Str8upirish wrote:I have just MBX's, Recons, M1 and K2. The only one I had break that wasn't my fault was my Recon 796 that I broke on a hook set. But it was one of the Gen 1 Recons and they replaced it with out a problem with a Gen2 version. My K2 makes me nervous too but you just got to realize its a light weight highly sensitive rod that you don't want to be high sticking or swinging toads over the side of the boat with it. Something I had to teach my self.
Yea I agree. I use one of my K2's to fish a Weightless Senko and the other to fish a 1/4oz. Beaver. Never flip a descent fish in the boat with this rod. Prolly can handle it but makes me real uneasy. Lol I do however fish the heck out of those M-1's though. They are bad Azz. I fish a frog with my 7'2" Heavy action M1. No problems at all. But you can tell the difference in feel between the two. As far as the Ultra MBX's, I fish them with swimjigs,swimbaits and they are also bad Azz.

tosakilla
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tosakilla » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Had a 724 and 764 before i switched to dobyns. both were recons and i broke both within the first week of use. sent them in and got new rods, then broke the 764 within the first week again... was too scared to use the 724 so its now in my basement waiting for someone to buy it.

jacob95
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jacob95 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 am

I'm glad that most of you have good luck with the Phenix rods because my first rod build will be on a M1and this thread was really making me nervous.

Bowman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bowman » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:55 am

Just got a call from Phenix. They are going to replace both rods for free. =D>

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:04 am

Jeez Bowman you must be the unluckiest fisherman around. To snap two Phenix rods and a Megabass rod on the hookset in the space of one week :shock: I'd be nervous fishing on the same boat with you 8-[ :lol:

Bowman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bowman » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 am

Bassmar wrote:Jeez Bowman you must be the unluckiest fisherman around. To snap two Phenix rods and a Megabass rod on the hookset in the space of one week :shock: I'd be nervous fishing on the same boat with you 8-[ :lol:
You got that right!!! Talk about unlucky. The last time I broke a rod was about 8 years ago. Now that I have these expensive rods, seems like I can't keep one together. About $800.00 worth all together. Glad that I was taken care of for the most part. Waiting on word from Megabass to see what the outcome will be. I have a fealing that they will do me right. I have a pic of the rod in three pieces with the fish still on the hook. Considering that I have 10 Phenix rods and 6 of them custom rods so it ain't cheap to get them rebuilt even if the blanks are under free warranty repalcement. Still gonna cost me about 60-70 bucks a piece and that's not counting the labor from my builder.