My Dobyns Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bassinmaumee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

My Dobyns Rods

Post by bassinmaumee » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:16 am

I have a DX 744 Full Grip casting rod and a 703 Sf split grip spinning rod. It seems like the cork on both has gotten a lot of pits in it I will have to take some pics of it as maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing. I got them last year and like them a lot. Also the hood on the 744 that goes over the pc that tightens on the reel set broke free and I was told by them just to super glue it. Am I over reacting to be a lil peeved by that. At the price I paid new for the rods I would think I would get a little more that just add super glue to it because we may not have. The cork I will get pics later and let you decide. Just thought I would share. I may send them back and let the customer service check em out, but its gonna suck to pay money to ship them if they just tell me there is nothing wrong.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: My Dobyns Rods

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:14 am

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=50960

The cork issue was discussed in the above post. It seems quality cork is getting harder and harder to find. It's something that can easily be remedied with some cork filler, sandpaper and U40 sealer.

The issue of the reel seat hood, while annoying, is only a minor issue. I'd super glue or epoxy it back and you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

Dobyns rods were all the rage here a couple years ago. It seems like interest in them has started to wane some. Let's hope they release something relevant at iCast that brings on a new clan of Dobynites :lol:

mvb31
Angler
Angler

Post by mvb31 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:38 am

I bought a 744dx split handle in march. Been fishing with it for a month, and the cork handle now has little pits/dents in it now too. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not, since it is my first rod with cork handles. However, the cork was great and smooth when I first got it. Just wondering myself now too.

bassinmaumee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bassinmaumee » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:01 am

You would think for. 320 $ rod it wouldn't do that.

Gary Dobyns
Angler
Angler

Post by Gary Dobyns » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:41 pm

I'm not sure if you talked with Richard or Dan, but I know that we’ve had a few of the decorative hoods on our DX Rods come apart if tightened hard. They SHOULD NOT come apart. It's a super, simple fix with a drop or two of crazy glue. I'd of said the same thing if you would of called and talked with me. It's literally a 2 second fix and I would of explained it this way. BUT, you ALWAYS have the option of sending it to us for warranty. ALWAYS!

This happens very seldom and we got several in one shipment. We always explain a simple fix. The same thing if you bust a guide, it's far cheaper and easier for us to simply send you a guide replacement at our expense and have it wrapped locally. We try to make things easier and cheaper for our customers. I don't care if you stepped on guide or how it broke. We simply replace it. BUT, you are welcome to send the rod to us for a repair, any time you choose to.

These last couple of cork posts here have got me to looking at my cork but other manufactures as well. I still think my high density cork is cleaner and holds up better than others I'm looking at. Cork quality is down and price is up. I don't see it changing anytime soon. If I didn't think cork was better than EVA and other foams, I'd use it and SAVE THE DOLLARS. It would be a big savings for us, But I think cork is better accepted and wanted by more anglers.

As far as what's new from us. We have built some new models that we've got lots of requests for. An 806 CB for Mag Cranks like 10 XD, a 706 CB, 633 CB, 634 CB, DX 765 Flip, DX 746 C, also Float and Fly rods. These are done, approved, and ordered. What else?? Some pretty cool stuff that I do not have finalized yet...but I'm working on it daily.

Thanks to our loyal customers, we're still trying to build rods to fill any holes for your wants. I don't know how to say this with class.......But business is VERY GOOD and WE THANK YOU FOR IT!!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm

Gary Dobyns wrote:I'm not sure if you talked with Richard or Dan, but I know that we’ve had a few of the decorative hoods on our DX Rods come apart if tightened hard. They SHOULD NOT come apart. It's a super, simple fix with a drop or two of crazy glue. I'd of said the same thing if you would of called and talked with me. It's literally a 2 second fix and I would of explained it this way. BUT, you ALWAYS have the option of sending it to us for warranty. ALWAYS!

This happens very seldom and we got several in one shipment. We always explain a simple fix. The same thing if you bust a guide, it's far cheaper and easier for us to simply send you a guide replacement at our expense and have it wrapped locally. We try to make things easier and cheaper for our customers. I don't care if you stepped on guide or how it broke. We simply replace it. BUT, you are welcome to send the rod to us for a repair, any time you choose to.

These last couple of cork posts here have got me to looking at my cork but other manufactures as well. I still think my high density cork is cleaner and holds up better than others I'm looking at. Cork quality is down and price is up. I don't see it changing anytime soon. If I didn't think cork was better than EVA and other foams, I'd use it and SAVE THE DOLLARS. It would be a big savings for us, But I think cork is better accepted and wanted by more anglers.

As far as what's new from us. We have built some new models that we've got lots of requests for. An 806 CB for Mag Cranks like 10 XD, a 706 CB, 633 CB, 634 CB, DX 765 Flip, DX 746 C, also Float and Fly rods. These are done, approved, and ordered. What else?? Some pretty cool stuff that I do not have finalized yet...but I'm working on it daily.

Thanks to our loyal customers, we're still trying to build rods to fill any holes for your wants. I don't know how to say this with class.......But business is VERY GOOD and WE THANK YOU FOR IT!!
=D> 8-)

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 pm

bassinmaumee wrote:You would think for. 320 $ rod it wouldn't do that.
I don't want to discount your opinion, but here's another example of a more expensive rod from a Tier 1 manufacturer with similar cork issues. It's not the manufacture, but the supplier. This has been discussed in depth recently as thelatrobe33 eluded to in his post.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=51080

Gary Dobyns wrote:I'm not sure if you talked with Richard or Dan, but I know that we’ve had a few of the decorative hoods on our DX Rods come apart if tightened hard. They SHOULD NOT come apart. It's a super, simple fix with a drop or two of crazy glue. I'd of said the same thing if you would of called and talked with me. It's literally a 2 second fix and I would of explained it this way. BUT, you ALWAYS have the option of sending it to us for warranty. ALWAYS!

Thanks for coming on here and clarifying and introducing the new models Gary. Looking forward to trying some out.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:55 pm

DX765 FLIP...oh my :big grin:

Picked up a few Champions and Extremes with the recent holiday sales, all but one had great cork, and the one that didn't, I don't know that I would call it bad, just not as great as the others... I'll give it a good once over again before sealing.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but all the fine ones came from BTD - as I understand it they are just down the road from Dobyns more or less, and drive over and pull stock based on orders when necessary. The less than fine one, if you can even call it that, came from TW, which being further away probably stocks the rods in a more traditional way. Probably a non-issue, just a coincidence I suppose.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:54 pm

I like that response from Mr. Dobyns. And I like that they are coming out with a float n fly rod.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:24 am

78Staff wrote:DX765 FLIP...oh my :big grin:
Hell Ya!!!!!

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:35 am

I love your guide replacement policy. It's just the most logical thing to do about those situations.

I know it will probably never happen but I'd like to see something like a DX700 so I can have something to trout fish with. The 701 is just too fast and powerful for trout but a little too light for most of my bass fishing!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:00 am

I want some three piece travel rods!!! Come on Gary! [-o<

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:15 am

zodiak311 wrote:I want some three piece travel rods!!! Come on Gary! [-o<
Just find some of their Gen 1 Extremes and fish them... they'll be 3 piece in no time :lol:

T Mike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by T Mike » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 am

Quillback wrote: And I like that they are coming out with a float n fly rod.
You can thank me later \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ I had to twist some serious arms for a few years to get him to do FnF rods for us..

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:55 am

This cork issue seems to surface frequently these days on a number of forums beside this one. The wine industry has impacted the availibility of cork. Every rod company that features a cork grip system is challenged with finding clear cork. Remember the days of lumber without a knot in it and now a stud looks like it has polka dots ? Rod companies are dealing with the same issue.

If you have a concern about a fill in a handle washing out, you have an option, seal it with a thin bead of liquid crazy glue. I've done this for years on a number of rods by several different manufactures. You will have a little discoloration at that site but it will increase the longevity of your grip over all by years. Not to draw this out, but the full grip rear no foregrip configuration is my favorite hands down and Dobyns gives me that option. I can only speak for my Dobyns rods and the DX's (4) and Champions have superb quality cork. They are not perfect but are pretty darn close.