What is hands down the MOST...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is hands down the MOST...

Post by bronzefly » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:35 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
bronzefly wrote:After spending a lot of time with the Megabass F5st-611X7 Bearing Down Type-X, it's definitely on my short list of "most sensitive" rods. I don't think this rod is for everyone as the unique taper featured by this "first of it's kind stinger tip design" has a very different on the water feel. For my intents and purposes, it's a joy 8-)
How have you been utilizing this beauty? I have had me eye on this one, but most of my fishing consists of casting so I am taking my time here: I am wondering if the X-fast action on this specific stick is not conducive to long, two-handed casts.
I have it paired with a MB IS Racing Illusion and 12lb Sunline Sniper FC. I've kept a 1/4 to 3/8 oz jig head/plastic or a 3/16 to 1/4 oz jig rig/plastic on it a lot, or a 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz skirted jig on the combo. I haven't had any issues with casting these types of rigs, in fact it's been excellent. I've dropped down to a 1/8 oz head with a finesse plastic and the combo handled it well. The Stinger Tip flex on a rod of this nature required an adjustment period, but it's earned a spot in my permanent lineup. Oddly enough, I recently found an odd bite where stripers were really eating the rigs mentioned above. None were big by striper standards, but there were numerous 8 to 15 lb fish to tangle with. When stripers are eating a bottom contact bait which is extremely rare, it's fun when it happens :big grin:

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:47 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
bronzefly wrote:After spending a lot of time with the Megabass F5st-611X7 Bearing Down Type-X, it's definitely on my short list of "most sensitive" rods. I don't think this rod is for everyone as the unique taper featured by this "first of it's kind stinger tip design" has a very different on the water feel. For my intents and purposes, it's a joy 8-)
How have you been utilizing this beauty? I have had me eye on this one, but most of my fishing consists of casting so I am taking my time here: I am wondering if the X-fast action on this specific stick is not conducive to long, two-handed casts.
I have it paired with a MB IS Racing Illusion and 12lb Sunline Sniper FC. I've kept a 1/4 to 3/8 oz jig head/plastic or a 3/16 to 1/4 oz jig rig/plastic on it a lot, or a 1/4 oz to 3/8 oz skirted jig on the combo. I haven't had any issues with casting these types of rigs, in fact it's been excellent. I've dropped down to a 1/8 oz head with a finesse plastic and the combo handled it well. The Stinger Tip flex on a rod of this nature required an adjustment period, but it's earned a spot in my permanent lineup. Oddly enough, I recently found an odd bite where stripers were really eating the rigs mentioned above. None were big by striper standards, but there were numerous 8 to 15 lb fish to tangle with. When stripers are eating a bottom contact bait which is extremely rare, it's fun when it happens :big grin:

Dang...I was hoping you were going to say it was performed terribly in that situation. :lol:

The weights you listed are exactly what I would be using this for...namely casting 1/4 oz t-rigs and 1/4-3/8 oz jigs.

Thanks for the detailed info. Awesome pic btw. 8-)

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

Dang...I was hoping you were going to say it was performed terribly in that situation. :lol:

The weights you listed are exactly what I would be using this for...namely casting 1/4 oz t-rigs and 1/4-3/8 oz jigs.

when r we gonna c u on duck dynasty?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:01 am

:lol: :lol:
Chode wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:35 pm

Chode wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

:lol: x2!

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:43 pm

K2 715

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:05 am

megabass x7 western flip. quite an eye opener, since ive fished some really nice sensitive rods in the past.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 am

Derek777 wrote:megabass x7 western flip. quite an eye opener, since ive fished some really nice sensitive rods in the past.
Can u name them so we'll know what ur comparing the x7 to? Thx

kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kegger37 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:16 am

There is a lot of stuff out there I haven't tried yet, but for me top 3 would be...
Loomis MBR844C GLX
Phenix UMBX
Kistler Helium II

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:45 pm

I really only have fished Loomis, Dobyns and Shimano, for me Dobyns DX743C

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:58 pm

Going to be comparing my k2 to my Nrx's soon... \:D/

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:28 am

zodiak311 wrote:Going to be comparing my k2 to my Nrx's soon... \:D/

VERY nice!!! let us know what you think.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:14 am

HellaBass wrote:I really only have fished Loomis, Dobyns and Shimano, for me Dobyns DX743C
I have a DX743C, and it's not as sensitive as my NRX.

What Loomis rods did you use?

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:54 pm

NRX 843

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:04 am

phatbass wrote:NRX 843
I strongly disagree that the DX743C is more sensitive than the NRX 843. I have fished both.