What is hands down the MOST...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What is hands down the MOST...

Post by phatbass » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:32 am

BlaineFred wrote:
phatbass wrote:NRX 843
I strongly disagree that the DX743C is more sensitive than the NRX 843. I have fished both.
I never said it was.I actually sold my dx743

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:02 am

BlaineFred wrote:
I strongly disagree that the DX743C is more sensitive than the NRX 843. I have fished both.
I think he is saying his NRX is his most sensitive rod.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:47 pm

Custom K2-715, Megabass F5-66X Bearing Down, NRX803

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:24 pm

phatbass wrote:
BlaineFred wrote:
I never said it was.I actually sold my dx743
Sorry. I misunderstood,

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:04 am

Sensitivity is a subjective measurement and is pretty much an opinion. There is a difference most of us can detect between a very dead rod and a very sensitivity rod. Their is also the problem that one specific model of rod will have different characteristics from rod to rod. It is near impossible to build every rod exactly the same. I see members saying that a certain rod in a certain length is very sensitive. Then someone else with the exact same rod with the same length will say it is not very sensitive. They are probably both right for their particular rods.

In fishing conditions the sensitivity of a rod is influenced by the bait, the line, the guides, the grip material, the rod construction and the lake bottom. There are so many variables in judging the sensitivity of a rod. The line and the lake conditions/make up, usually has more to do with what you feel than the sensitivity of the rod. I think that maker loyalty also influences some members assessment of a rods sensitivity. I own $700 fly rods but don't own any $300 plus Bass rods. I have not needed $300 plus rods to feel everything I need to feel to catch Bass.

Frank

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:46 am

In response to Frank's post...

I have been testing the sensitivity of a number of rods this summer.

I wanted to test the rods under the same conditions. I fish the rods, each rigged with a Tatula reel and 15-lb Seaguar Tatsu line, and a 3/8 oz Rodstrainer jig from the bank in the same location of a small reservoir. The reservoir has some wood on the bottom, but very little rock. Later this fall, I will test with a rocky bottom by moving to a small river. I want to make a comprehensive test.

This is the only way that I can see the rod testing that will provide meaningful results.

I have some preliminary results, but it's still too early to publish anything. Thus far, it appears that the best approach is to rank the rods into three or four groups, with a few rods falling in between. Group 1 will probably get a 10 rating out of 1 to 10, Group #2 may get a 5 or 7, and so on down to # 1, a poor rod. There may be some rods that are near a 10, so I may give them 8 or 9.

As you can imagine, this testing is taking great deal of time. I catch bass sometimes, but I really want to feel the bottom. As expected, some rods "feel" the bottom better than others.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:28 pm

BlaineFred wrote:In response to Frank's post...

I have been testing the sensitivity of a number of rods this summer.

I wanted to test the rods under the same conditions. I fish the rods, each rigged with a Tatula reel and 15-lb Seaguar Tatsu line, and a 3/8 oz Rodstrainer jig from the bank in the same location of a small reservoir. The reservoir has some wood on the bottom, but very little rock. Later this fall, I will test with a rocky bottom by moving to a small river. I want to make a comprehensive test.

This is the only way that I can see the rod testing that will provide meaningful results.

I have some preliminary results, but it's still too early to publish anything. Thus far, it appears that the best approach is to rank the rods into three or four groups, with a few rods falling in between. Group 1 will probably get a 10 rating out of 1 to 10, Group #2 may get a 5 or 7, and so on down to # 1, a poor rod. There may be some rods that are near a 10, so I may give them 8 or 9.

As you can imagine, this testing is taking great deal of time. I catch bass sometimes, but I really want to feel the bottom. As expected, some rods "feel" the bottom better than others.
what's the consensus thus far?

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi BlaineFred,

It is great that you are doing some testing but I doubt you will achieve any conclusive results useful for others. Your test is too limited and every rod, reel, line and bait should be tested on the exact same medium. We will just end up with what rods you judge to be more sensitive. Again it would be based on your opinion. Casting into a reservoir means that every cast will probably be feeling something different. To do this right you would need a test bed so you know that every time a lure is dragged over the medium it would feel the exact same thing. With such a test bed you will need many different people repeating the test and it should be so the tester doesn't know what rod they are testing.

I am not saying what you are doing is not useful to you but it is not a comprehensive test that will answer what rod is the most sensitive for others. I look forward to your opinion of the rods you are using.

Frank

bp182
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bp182 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:28 am

My Gen 1 Dobyns Champion Extreme DX703C

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Nrx 893c for me, but in all honesty the only thing it have to compare it too are rods in the 150-220 range so0o0o.. Take it with a grain of salt. After re spooling with sunline shooter I was however setting the hook on every rock and blade of grass I bumped. Took a bit to adjust to the liveliness of the nrx and now all my other rods feel a bit dull in the sensitivity area. My future rod purchases will probably all be nrx/glx as i had a similar experience when I bought my first loomis fly rod. They just do rods the way I like them. Period.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:16 am

PCSnooker wrote:Nrx 893c for me, but in all honesty the only thing it have to compare it too are rods in the 150-220 range so0o0o.. Take it with a grain of salt. After re spooling with sunline shooter I was however setting the hook on every rock and blade of grass I bumped. Took a bit to adjust to the liveliness of the nrx and now all my other rods feel a bit dull in the sensitivity area. My future rod purchases will probably all be nrx/glx as i had a similar experience when I bought my first loomis fly rod. They just do rods the way I like them. Period.
so what ur saying is that the difference btwn the nrx and ur 150-200 rods r night and day?

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:28 am

FrankW wrote:Hi BlaineFred,

It is great that you are doing some testing but I doubt you will achieve any conclusive results useful for others. Your test is too limited and every rod, reel, line and bait should be tested on the exact same medium. We will just end up with what rods you judge to be more sensitive. Again it would be based on your opinion. Casting into a reservoir means that every cast will probably be feeling something different. To do this right you would need a test bed so you know that every time a lure is dragged over the medium it would feel the exact same thing. With such a test bed you will need many different people repeating the test and it should be so the tester doesn't know what rod they are testing.

I am not saying what you are doing is not useful to you but it is not a comprehensive test that will answer what rod is the most sensitive for others. I look forward to your opinion of the rods you are using.

Frank
Frank,

I am fishing the same location in the reservoir, using the same reels, lines, and lures. I want everything to be as equal as possible. I believe that I will obtain some meaningful results after many casts with each rod. I say many, and that could be 100 casts. With so many casts in the same location, I will be going over the same or nearly the same bottom structure. I don't count the number of casts. It helps the monotony that I catch a bass occasionally.

I realize that there is some subjectivity here, but I don't know any other method to test. It would be good if a few other anglers would do this type of test so the results could be compared. Maybe the TT experts could also develop a test method.

I don't have any preliminary results to share because I haven't fully tested all of the rods. Furthermore, I broke a GLX BCR803C somewhere else, and I am looking for another one to test. I also broke a Phenix K2 715 elsewhere, and I am waiting for a replacement blank, but Phenix has them back ordered. It's been a bad summer for breaking rods.

The rods that I am testing thus far are NRX 852 and 853; GLX 803C JWR (the warranty replacement for the BCR803C); a K2 715 as soon as I can get another one built; Dobyns DX742C and DX743C; Powell Max 683C; Powell Endurance 723C; Cabela's Platinum ZX model PZX705-1; Cabela's Platinum ZX PZX706-1; Loomis GLX MBR844; Loomis GLX MBR 843; 13Fishing Envy Black MH and H; and some Phenix Recons and UMBX Classics.

As you expect, this is taking a considerable amount of time.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:54 am

BlaineFred wrote:
FrankW wrote:Hi BlaineFred,

Frank
Frank,

I am fishing the same location in the reservoir, using the same reels, lines, and lures. I want everything to be as equal as possible. I believe that I will obtain some meaningful results after many casts with each rod. I say many, and that could be 100 casts. With so many casts in the same location, I will be going over the same or nearly the same bottom structure. I don't count the number of casts. It helps the monotony that I catch a bass occasionally.

I realize that there is some subjectivity here, but I don't know any other method to test. It would be good if a few other anglers would do this type of test so the results could be compared. Maybe the TT experts could also develop a test method.

I don't have any preliminary results to share because I haven't fully tested all of the rods. Furthermore, I broke a GLX BCR803C somewhere else, and I am looking for another one to test. I also broke a Phenix K2 715 elsewhere, and I am waiting for a replacement blank, but Phenix has them back ordered. It's been a bad summer for breaking rods.

The rods that I am testing thus far are NRX 852 and 853; GLX 803C JWR (the warranty replacement for the BCR803C); a K2 715 as soon as I can get another one built; Dobyns DX742C and DX743C; Powell Max 683C; Powell Endurance 723C; Cabela's Platinum ZX model PZX705-1; Cabela's Platinum ZX PZX706-1; Loomis GLX MBR844; Loomis GLX MBR 843; 13Fishing Envy Black MH and H; and some Phenix Recons and UMBX Classics.

As you expect, this is taking a considerable amount of time.
sry to hear about the bcr803 fred. do u have a time frame for ur analysis?

PCSnooker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PCSnooker » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:08 am

Chode wrote:
PCSnooker wrote:Nrx 893c for me, but in all honesty the only thing it have to compare it too are rods in the 150-220 range so0o0o.. Take it with a grain of salt. After re spooling with sunline shooter I was however setting the hook on every rock and blade of grass I bumped. Took a bit to adjust to the liveliness of the nrx and now all my other rods feel a bit dull in the sensitivity area. My future rod purchases will probably all be nrx/glx as i had a similar experience when I bought my first loomis fly rod. They just do rods the way I like them. Period.
so what ur saying is that the difference btwn the nrx and ur 150-200 rods r night and day?
I wouldn't quite say night and day, but there is a noticeable increase in sensitivity with the nrx say over my tatula rods and the action of the 893 is exactly what I was looking for in a light soft plastics rod. That being said I wouldn't want to pay retail for an nrx as I don't feel like the icrease in performance justifies a 350 dollar increase in price over any of my less expensive rods.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:47 am

PCSnooker wrote:
Chode wrote:
I wouldn't quite say night and day, but there is a noticeable increase in sensitivity with the nrx say over my tatula rods and the action of the 893 is exactly what I was looking for in a light soft plastics rod. That being said I wouldn't want to pay retail for an nrx as I don't feel like the icrease in performance justifies a 350 dollar increase in price over any of my less expensive rods.
thx for the reply. i ask casue most of my rods r in that range and they've been plenty sensitive for my needs but the curious side of me always wondering how much better those nrx's r haha. maaan, so tempted to get one next time one goes on sale in the forums