Deep Crankbait Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KWH
Angler
Angler

Deep Crankbait Rod

Post by KWH » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:53 am

I was looking at a Phenix x13 and Powell TW deep rod, does anyone have experience with these 2 rods. I am wanting something with a moderate flex loads up good on cast. I can't try either of these rods and I am worried they would be to stiff. I usually use the LIttle John DD and a DD22, for years I used the old Lews Fritz rod that seemed to bend all the way to the handle. I am wanting something that would bend similar but maybe only half way down the blank or so.

Thanks

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Deep Crankbait Rod

Post by dragon1 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:25 am

A true S Glass type rod my be more in line with what you are "seeking" then.

You may want to consider a Seeker in the appropriate power.

KWH
Angler
Angler

Post by KWH » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:50 am

Are the Seekers custom made only or is there one in the signature series.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:31 pm

Dobyns has a glass and a graphite rod. I have the 7'6" graphite and love it, but would look at the 8' for the DD22. I fish the Norman NXS and it works good with the 7'6". I have thrown the larger DD22 but if that is its primary purpose i would go with the 8'.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:06 pm

I use the Phenix X13 for the exact cranks you described. It works great with the SK10 as well. The only thing I hate about some of those super deep cranks is I wish I had an electric reel for when your trying to get back up to the boat for another cast! LOL work out!! ;) :D

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:08 pm

By the way, the Phneix XG3 is a glass rod that has the bend your looking for.

Paul Shibata
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Paul Shibata » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:50 pm

Without question, my absolute favorite rod for DD22's and the like is the Loomis CBR 896 Deep Flex. As the name suggests it loads up deep into the butt section, casts a country mile and protects big fish on light line line a steelhead rod.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:06 am

KWH wrote:Are the Seekers custom made only or is there one in the signature series.
Paul Elias kneel and reel at 7'11" may work, but to be sure (especially for lure weight and enough backbone), I would rec you call Seeker and speak with Randall and express to him exactly what you are looking to accomplish. Other listed rods would also likely fit the bill and some are listed at a higher lure weight than the kneel and reel rod.

Personally, I have one custom BCSW 808 and another CBC 807F coming in the Seeker lineup. I really have a specific affinity for the Seeker blanks for certain moving power techs over many of the other composite/glass/"cranking" blanks I have used/owned/own and have fished...says a lot in my book. Some of these Seeker SGlass blanks are SW/inshore grade, high quality blanks that are tough, have tremendous backbone, and perform exceedingly well with the true SGlass or SGlass/composites. Made in the U.S. is also a plus in my book and the company is a good one.

These Seekers have larger butt diameters and weigh more, but are stronger in the backbone (IMO), load up and cast very well, are faster/more precise in tip taper than other glass blanks, keep fish buttoned on exceedingly well with trebles and are tough. These characteristics are why I have gone back to Seeker this past year for my power moving techs with open trebles...just works for me.

Link to post on my custom CBC 807F http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=52262

Also, Lami made a great blank for what you describe...I believe they built it for Skeet Reese as a cranking rod as well?

Good luck.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 am

Vince Borges wrote:I use the Phenix X13 for the exact cranks you described. It works great with the SK10 as well. The only thing I hate about some of those super deep cranks is I wish I had an electric reel for when your trying to get back up to the boat for another cast! LOL work out!! ;) :D

X 2. I was skeptical about getting this rod because I had no way of seeing it in person before purchasing. I'm very very glad I did though because I love it for the exact applications you described.