Looking for some nrx advice

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Looking for some nrx advice

Post by johnnybassboat » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:01 am

I am in the market for a new Loomis NRX. Ihave had a few GLX in the past, divorce forced sale. I have heard that some of the ratings dont fit traditional ratings, some are rated heavy while some are rated light. So before I pull the trigger on a rod I am seeking some advice on which rod best fits my needs. I will be using this rod for 3/8 and 1/2 oz. VMC rugby head, 7/16 oz hardheads, and 3/8 and 1/2 oz football heads both T-rigged and as jigs. I have heard the 853 is light for a three power,so I am thinking its out of the question? The 854 looks promising, but havent heard much about its ratings. I am also looking at the 873 but have heard it is pretty stout for a three power but very nice. I will be pairing this rod with either my core50 or a core100. I almost never throw anything heavier than 1/2oz. and usually in water depths of between 5 and 15 fow.So all you nrx owners what do ya think? Thanks in advance.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Looking for some nrx advice

Post by steve1206 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:06 pm

It sounds like an 893 for sure. The 853 is light and best used with finesse jigs and small t-rigs, IMO. The 854 would fit the bill but I think you'll like the extra length and a tad more flex in the tip when the fish suck up those moving hard heads...And the 893 is incredible with those 1/2 oz footballs..The 873 is the stoutest of the bunch (sans new unreleased models) and fishes in the ball park of 4 1/2 power. It is best, IMO, for 3/4 oz football jigs, pitching bigger creature type plastics, etc. So, first choice is the 893..if you don't like the length, then 854..not a ton of power difference to me, with the extra length in the 893.

got2be5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by got2be5 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:02 pm

steve1206 wrote:It sounds like an 893 for sure. The 853 is light and best used with finesse jigs and small t-rigs, IMO. The 854 would fit the bill but I think you'll like the extra length and a tad more flex in the tip when the fish suck up those moving hard heads...And the 893 is incredible with those 1/2 oz footballs..The 873 is the stoutest of the bunch (sans new unreleased models) and fishes in the ball park of 4 1/2 power. It is best, IMO, for 3/4 oz football jigs, pitching bigger creature type plastics, etc. So, first choice is the 893..if you don't like the length, then 854..not a ton of power difference to me, with the extra length in the 893.
Couldnt of said it better myself.The 893 has a magical tip as well.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:54 pm

853 & 893 are almost identical in power and both max out around the 1/2 oz. weight rating for bottom contact with 3/8 - 1/2 being the sweet spot. 854 is the same length as the 853 and feels like a true 4 power. The 873 is 2” longer and has more power than the 854 and was made for carolina rigging and it’s ridiculously good for what it made for with 1/2 - 5/8 being it’s sweet spot. They all are outstanding as to sensitivity with fast to xfast action. I inshore fish for specs & reds and use all 4 rods. If you like the extra length the 893 is great plus it shines with swim baits, small plastics and spinners. If you prefer the 7’ 1” rod then the 853 will do everything the 893 can do with a little less distance in casting. If you like the idea of a little more power then the 854 is what you want again losing some more distance casting. If this will become your dedicated bottom contact rod and you stay between 3/8 & 5/8 oz. the 873 is killer and you’ll never go fishing without it. My only concern with NRX was quality control and I recommend you get to hold the rod in your hand for inspection before buying. I’m not talking about handle or fore grip issues, I’m talking about thread wraps, guide alignment, sloppy flex coat around guides and glue around the cork. Have fun deciding and be sure to share when you make your choice.
Last edited by lpquick on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 pm

Like lpquick, I also own all 4 of the models he talks about. 2 each of some of them. Also like him, I don't notice much difference in tip or feel between the 853 and 893. But I'd still recommend the 893 for the added casting ability and moving more line on a hook set, and it would handle the baits you're talking about perfectly. But both are great rods. I have a Core 50 on the 893 and it's a nice setup.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:55 am

Thanks for the replies guys. This is what confuses me, they say the 853 is light and the 893 which I never considered,is about the same power only longer. So is the 893 also going to be to light. Doesnt sound like it from the replies. I have been using a Fenwick Aetos 7'MH x-fast for this application, but am looking to upgrade. Like the action of this rod, but think something better cant hurt. I am a little guy, 5'6" and have been hesitant to try longer rods because of my height. Any concerns or am I overthinking this whole thing. I will be both casting and pitching with this outfit, but mostly casting. I have a local retailer that stocks NRX rods so maybe a visit is in my immediate future.I also thought the quality issues were a thing of the past and had been corrected.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:17 am

I have a coupe of 893's and they are my favorite rod. My opinion is that you don't want to fish anything over a 1/2 oz on them. I think they whole light/not light opinions are somewhat subjective, but I'd say the 893 might lean a little on the light side, only thing I have I can compare it to in a heavier rated stick, but roughly the same length is my Dobyns DX 784. The 784 is noticeably heavier in feel, but it works well in the 1/2 - 3/4 oz range for jigs and T-rigs. I usually will throw 3/8 oz stuff on my 893's and 1/2 oz on my 784, but that's me, others may feel differently.

The 873 is a great Carolina rig rod, I've tried it for t-rigging stuff and it felt a bit dead to me. Very sensitive as far as c-rig, but just didn't feel right to me for a t-rig.