Fenwick Smallmouth Spinning

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
KWH
Angler
Angler

Fenwick Smallmouth Spinning

Post by KWH » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:18 am

I am looking for a lower price option for my son and was looking at the Elite Tech smallmouth spinning rods. I was needing opinion on the 6ft9" ml and medium, is the medium light a buggy whip looking to use for light shakey heads,small jerkbaits and topwater. Thanks

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Fenwick Smallmouth Spinning

Post by smalljaw » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:23 am

The ML isn't a buggy whip, I'd say it is pretty versatile but 3/8oz is about where the range ends, these make good drop shot rods. For me the 6'9" M/XF is a fantastic rod and it is the rod that got me really liking this line of rods. The medium, extra fast is extremely versatile and it handles light weights as well as heavier stuff, I got mine for shaky head fishing, and it hasn't disappointed. I have tried a number of different baits and techniques with the medium and I'll give you a list at what I consider is the best applications for the rod. I like shaky heads as I said, I have no problem with a 1/16oz head with a 4.5" worm, it is also fantastic for both 4" to 5" fluke style baits and senkos, small jerkbaits and topwaters are excellent and it is the only spinning rod I use for the Rapala #5 shad rap, fantastic for that bait!. The ML will do the same thing but I would stick to 4" to 4.5" fluke baits and 4" senko style worms, drop shots a little over 1/4oz will be good but the medium for me has a wider range of lure weights. I would also say the medium is more sensitive because of the extra fast tip, one of the things that really surprised me about the rod was fishing a ledge in 26' of water using 8lb mono with a 1/8oz shaky head, I had no trouble detecting the light biters, a lot of feel for a rod at that price point. I think the medium would be better for an all purpose set up just because it does handle the smaller stuff with ease and still has the power to go up in weight without losing any performance.

KWH
Angler
Angler

Post by KWH » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:41 am

Thanks for all the info and your time, it sounds like the medium is what I need to get for him if it covers that many baits. I seen them online on sale and you helped a lot.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:07 pm

I have the 6'10 casting model, its a great rod for the price with great build quality. I got it even cheaper at fishusa. $99 with free shipping. It arrived in 2 days.

lmbfisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lmbfisherman » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:20 am

I second smalljaw and Bootytrain - I own both those rods as well. You can't go wrong with both of them. I also bought mine for 99.99.