THE, Jig Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

THE, Jig Rod

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:18 am

In my search for the jig rod that I like the most I have ran across some that I thought were going to be the ONE but then I would find an issue with it. I have come to realize that the combination of rod and reel not only makes the set up but it can hinder one as well. I think that they are both equally important especially when selelcting technique specific equiptment. What I have found with me is I will look for something technique specific and when I find it, then I look to see how diverse it is.

Maybe Its just me that does that, but I believe every setup can have an alternate job, its just taking the time to find out what alternate job it does best.

I love to fish jigs and I am more of a 3/8-1/2 oz flip/pitch jig. I didnt list swimming because I dont buy specific swimming jigs. I just swim the jig that I have tied on and I personally have not had any issues with that.
What I would like to know from you guys that use jigs along the same lines is:

What ACTION, POWER and Length of rod do you perfer?

What is your reel and line of choice?

List the 4 Best jig specific and or non specific rods and the reels that you've used but ensure you say which?

I fish jigs more all year but sometimes I feel the need to use a creature bait in the same locations in the summer time that I would normally use a jig. I haven't found a rod that I'd like to use for both, have you? Some people like very stout rods and some with parabolic action. I've seen people use flippn sticks but I dont like to, nor do I want a rod that is too limber. I didnt consider the depth but I fish sparse cover and sometimes I will use a jewel akin jig and Pitchskp-flip fling it as I call it under a dock. I've used a black 7'2" medhvy cumara for that. I know some will argue that the rod is too long but it worked for me

The reels I used dont have alot of line capacity, esp with large diameter line.

Now I am not talking football jigs cause I dont fish them much in Florida on the waters where I live. I am currently deployed but I still dream bass.
My wife has gotten me a steez frog rod, but now I am more reserved in spending. I was considering the St. Croix Legend Tournament big jig rod but really the rod they have with the funny looking handle. Anyone have either? What are your observations?

Thanks in advance,
I will check this post as often as I can.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: THE, Jig Rod

Post by goldrod » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:44 am

its the legend extreme
7'1" Mh x-fast 12-20 line 1/4-3/4 LXC71MHXF

vrs

LTB 7'3" xhvy fast 17-30 1-2 1/2 oz
those were the ones I was looking at. In todays economy I am trying to be more conservative so I may be only able to get one of the two or maybe a different rod altogether.

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:08 am

I'm not sure if you've gotten a chance to use it yet, but that Steez XBD frog rod is what I use for jigs, along with frogs. To me, the rod has the right action for how I fish jigs, along with the backbone to pull the fish from any cover that I'm fishing. That rod is more versatile than you may realize.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:27 am

Nrx893 w/ D7 with 12 abrax

DX 744 w/ core 100mg7 with 30# PP super slick

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:17 am

For the weight range you use, and also the fact that you want to use it for a few techniques, only one rod comes to mind...

Megabass Phase III Bearing Down

It is hands down the best 3/8-1/2 oz jig/texas rig/pitching rod I have ever used. It blows my NRX 854 out of the water for those techniques. However, this rod is capable of far more than just jigs and texas rigs. I pair mine with either a Zonda 68R or a TD-Z 103R+ and it balances incredible and the sensitivity is off the charts. I didn't see where you specified a budget, however, if you are in the market for the best... IMHO this is it.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:13 am

6'11"- 7'3" MH fast/ex fast

K2 715 custom (or new factory rod...)
MegaBass Bearing Down
NRX 854C
PHENIX UMBX 700MH

Daiwa Steez/50# braid with fluoro leader (10-20# depending on fish conditions)

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:20 am

I'll start a new thread instead of hi-jacking this one...

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Dragboatdriver wrote:For the weight range you use, and also the fact that you want to use it for a few techniques, only one rod comes to mind...

Megabass Phase III Bearing Down

It is hands down the best 3/8-1/2 oz jig/texas rig/pitching rod I have ever used. It blows my NRX 854 out of the water for those techniques. However, this rod is capable of far more than just jigs and texas rigs. I pair mine with either a Zonda 68R or a TD-Z 103R+ and it balances incredible and the sensitivity is off the charts. I didn't see where you specified a budget, however, if you are in the market for the best... IMHO this is it.
Well stated. The Megabass Phase III Bearing Down is one incredible 3/8 to 1/2 oz jig rod. It's easily one of the best bottom contact rods I've ever had the pleasure to use.

Quillback
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Quillback » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:14 pm

fishingandfords wrote:Nrx893 w/ D7 with 12 abrax

DX 744 w/ core 100mg7 with 30# PP super slick
Good choices. I also like the DX 784, hooksetting and fish moving leverage.

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:27 am

G. Loomis NRX 873 is THE jig rod IMHO.

Weedsnager
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Weedsnager » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:33 am

Anyone use a Kistler Klx rod for jigs?

frankdi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by frankdi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:34 am

If you are talking the very best, Megabass diablo Jig and Texas rod. Those Ti strands are magical. You will feel bites that an NRX would miss.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

Weedsnager wrote:Anyone use a Kistler Klx rod for jigs?
I use a KLX 7'3" Worm/Jig http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/fishing-ro ... WJ73H.html. Thats the model I use. Easily on par with my DX744 as far as sensitivity. Had no problem horsing a 20+lb catfish around with it after it thought my jig looked tasty.

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am

854 GLX JWR