THE, Jig Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: THE, Jig Rod

Post by froteur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:42 am

k2 715 with a td ito
k2 715 with a steez

i have two k2 715's and this are the reels i have on them. k2's are extremely sensitive. these rods ARE my jig rods. i predominantly fish 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs but i've also used these for 3/4's.

i have the megabass bearing down that gary mentions but have only fished it a few times. i might throw a jig on it this weekend and see how it goes.

i don't have it anymore but my 844 glx was a great jig rod. the k2's are very similar, except i think the k2's are more sensitive. that's hard to say for sure though as i haven't had the glx for several years.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:49 am

Please let us know how the Bearing Down compare to the K2 for sensitivity. I also throw a ton of jigs and would love to see a comparison of the two.

When the K2 production comes out, Tackle Tour should do the ultimate sensitivty test.

PHENIX K2 production rod
MegaBass Bearing Down
NRX
Dobyns DX
St. Croix Legend Extreme
Evergreen
Diawa Steez
Shimano Cumara (Poison Glorious!?!)

Who am I missing in the BEST of the BEST in SENSITIVITY?

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:23 pm

vishus wrote:Please let us know how the Bearing Down compare to the K2 for sensitivity. I also throw a ton of jigs and would love to see a comparison of the two.

When the K2 production comes out, Tackle Tour should do the ultimate sensitivty test.

PHENIX K2 production rod
MegaBass Bearing Down
NRX
Dobyns DX
St. Croix Legend Extreme
Evergreen
Diawa Steez

for sure. i'm fishing clear lake this weekend. i'll leave one of the k2's at home and tie a jig on to the megabass bering down instead.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:31 pm

froteur wrote:
for sure. i'm fishing clear lake this weekend. i'll leave one of the k2's at home and tie a jig on to the megabass bering down instead.

GREAT! Which K2s do you have? It appears that the 715 is the general consensus for 3/8-5/8oz jigs. I have a 715 K2 on the way and am eyeing a 714 K2 or maybe the Bearing Down...

thx.sid

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:32 pm

vishus wrote:
froteur wrote:

GREAT! Which K2s do you have? It appears that the 715 is the general consensus for 3/8-5/8oz jigs. I have a 715 K2 on the way and am eyeing a 714 K2 or maybe the Bearing Down...

thx.sid
i have two k2 715's, one k2 764 and one k2 765. all baitcasting.

welcome.

-perry-

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Perry,

Just read your post regarding fishing the K2s and I think the 715 I am getting is going to be my new jig rod. I to liked my Compile-X for jigs and havn't quite found its replacement. The UMBX I have been throwing them on has been great, but I was looking for just a lil bit more. Sounds like the K2 is it! I would love to hear about the Bearing Down vs the 715K2 as I will either be getting another K2 or the Bearing Down next.

Thx.sid

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:04 pm

vishus wrote:Perry,

Just read your post regarding fishing the K2s and I think the 715 I am getting is going to be my new jig rod. I to liked my Compile-X for jigs and havn't quite found its replacement. The UMBX I have been throwing them on has been great, but I was looking for just a lil bit more. Sounds like the K2 is it! I would love to hear about the Bearing Down vs the 715K2 as I will either be getting another K2 or the Bearing Down next.

Thx.sid
i have 3 compile-x's too (two 7'1" ones and one 8' one). the 7'1"s are what i used to use for jigs. until i got the k2's (i got the k2's before i picked up the appropriate umbx -- otherwise the umbx may have been the rod of choice over the steez's). my "poor" son has inherited the steez's. :big grin: :big grin:

i'll post up my impressions from this weekend.

-perry-

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Please advise on the K2

I am not familiar with this rod or the maker. Is this a custom manufature or
can it be purchased from TWH.com, what's the asking price?

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:22 am

My two favorites are the CUC72MHA for the lighter end of the weight spectrum you mentioned, and 854 NRX JWR for heavier.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 am

Goldrod,

PHENIX RODS makes the K2. Currently it is only available in blank form, so yes you would need a custom built on the blank. Though it is pretty likely that they will be releasing a production rod in the next 3 - 6 months (purportedly testing handles/reel seats/guides at the moment)...

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:42 am

No secret that the NRX line-up is my favorite/go to for bottom baits (jigs)...picking the model by given jig type/size..

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:57 am

vishus wrote:Please let us know how the Bearing Down compare to the K2 for sensitivity. I also throw a ton of jigs and would love to see a comparison of the two.

PHENIX K2 production rod
MegaBass Bearing Down
NRX
Dobyns DX
St. Croix Legend Extreme
Evergreen
Diawa Steez

u left out the ugly stix

Love2Grabbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Love2Grabbass » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:14 am

bronzefly wrote:
Dragboatdriver wrote:For the weight range you use, and also the fact that you want to use it for a few techniques, only one rod comes to mind...

Megabass Phase III Bearing Down

It is hands down the best 3/8-1/2 oz jig/texas rig/pitching rod I have ever used. It blows my NRX 854 out of the water for those techniques. However, this rod is capable of far more than just jigs and texas rigs. I pair mine with either a Zonda 68R or a TD-Z 103R+ and it balances incredible and the sensitivity is off the charts. I didn't see where you specified a budget, however, if you are in the market for the best... IMHO this is it.
Well stated. The Megabass Phase III Bearing Down is one incredible 3/8 to 1/2 oz jig rod. It's easily one of the best bottom contact rods I've ever had the pleasure to use.
AGREE! The Phase III Bearing Down is everything Gary said it was, I was looking for THE medium heavy jig rod and this was his recommendation and I am glad it was. First time out with it and I smiled for roughly 7 straight hours.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:41 am

Love2Grabbass wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
Dragboatdriver wrote:For the weight range you use, and also the fact that you want to use it for a few techniques, only one rod comes to mind...

Megabass Phase III Bearing Down

It is hands down the best 3/8-1/2 oz jig/texas rig/pitching rod I have ever used. It blows my NRX 854 out of the water for those techniques. However, this rod is capable of far more than just jigs and texas rigs. I pair mine with either a Zonda 68R or a TD-Z 103R+ and it balances incredible and the sensitivity is off the charts. I didn't see where you specified a budget, however, if you are in the market for the best... IMHO this is it.
Well stated. The Megabass Phase III Bearing Down is one incredible 3/8 to 1/2 oz jig rod. It's easily one of the best bottom contact rods I've ever had the pleasure to use.
AGREE! The Phase III Bearing Down is everything Gary said it was, I was looking for THE medium heavy jig rod and this was his recommendation and I am glad it was. First time out with it and I smiled for roughly 7 straight hours.
i'm looking forward to the show down between my k2 715 and my bearing down this weekend. :big grin:

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 am

froteur wrote:i'm looking forward to the show down between my k2 715 and my bearing down this weekend. :big grin:

+1

:mrgreen: