THE, Jig Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: THE, Jig Rod

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:18 pm

With the bearing down rod. From what I can find its only 6'11"
Do you find the length to be adequate for jigs? just a question and No I haven not fished the steez rod.
and I probably wont see it for some time. Just one more thing to look forward to when I return. I said
i would not buy alot of stuff but would buy rods and reel parts.. I am not at all impresseed with some of the
recent reel offerings. From what I have read, I am skeptical of the longivity of the plasticness.

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Dobyns DX745C w/ Chronarch Ci4+ HG for me

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:50 pm

goldrod wrote:With the bearing down rod. From what I can find its only 6'11"
Do you find the length to be adequate for jigs?
The Phase III Bearing Down is 6' 11". It's not a "deep water" jig rod for me as I prefer something longer for this situation. It's suited for casting and pitching 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs to light/moderate cover. I have fished 1/2 oz Keitech tungsten jigs down to 20' with no problems getting a solid hook set. Generally speaking, I use the Phase III Bearing Down is a shorter distance, 10' or less casting and pitching rod. If I want to fish open water with similar jigs, I prefer something longer myself.

I'd add the Phase III Nautilus as one phenomenal deeper water jig rod that I also use for pitching. The sensitivity is among the best I've used and it's an incredibly versatile rod. I was on a really good 3/4 oz spinnerbait bite this spring on Guntersville, and the Nautilus was in the zone for this technique. It's rare to find a rod that's this good and this versatile. I caught plenty of 6XD fish on this stick throughout the summer and have been slinging super spooks on it for open water stripers and smallmouth lately.

In the X7 series, there are more choices that are also very impressive. I'm also looking forward to fishing both the new NRX 894 and 895 JWR rods pretty soon 8-)

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:56 pm

vishus wrote:
froteur wrote:i'm looking forward to the show down between my k2 715 and my bearing down this weekend. :big grin:

+1

:mrgreen:
mr. vishus and the rest of you guys,

my mistake but i forgot that i "have" fished my bearing down more than i thought. i was confusing the bearing down with my evoluzion big taper f5 1/2 - 70xti super diablo. "that" rod i've only fished once.

i've fished the bearing down at clear lake and on the delta. LOVE the dang thing (only behind my k2's). :big grin: have caught nice fish with it at both fisheries. that being said, i did NOT do a side by side comparison with my k2, so i STILL cannot answer the sensitivity question. also, there were NO subtle bites at clear lake or the delta on this rod. i was mostly fishing senkos and j-rigged beavers and every fish that i caught was hammering the bait. :big grin: :big grin: not a good test of sensitivity but a heck of a lot of fun.

i just got done rigging for this weekend's trip to clear lake. i now have a jig on to my k2 and a jig tied on to the bearing down. different jigs ( because it is a club tournament) but both are the same weight. actually, both are football heads but the one on the k2 is the basspatrol one that hinges. i plan on fishing both rods and will report back accordingly. :D

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 pm

No disrespect intended but at one time I looked at the PHX line up of rods. From
what I read there was a lot of issues with the reel seat and guides. That kinda
turned me away. If this K2 is produced I would be interested in the QA as well.

For the Nautilus,
Where can I read up on the spec of the rod. I like a rod longer than 6'11" more along the lines of 7'2"-7'5"
but I am open minded above 6'6"

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:31 pm

goldrod wrote: For the Nautilus,
Where can I read up on the spec of the rod. I like a rod longer than 6'11" more along the lines of 7'2"-7'5"
but I am open minded above 6'6"
We have all the Megabass rod specs on our website at The Tackle Trap. I've been fishing the Nautilus extensively for over a year now as well as numerous other Megabass rods. If you have other questions about it or others, feel free to email me directly at thetackletrap@gmail.com

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... f0eb8c3386

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:10 am

Dobyns DX745C /w Lew's TLP1SH 7.1:1

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:15 am

The nautilus is an awesome rod for jigs and several other baits. Used it most of summer for senko fishing. Just finished a trip using it with flukes for stripers. Handles about anything. Thats why I have 2.

bassm1n
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassm1n » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:16 am

If you go 7 foot then the super diablo is hard to beat unless you go Evergreen Black Gunner.

Lightning
Angler
Angler

Post by Lightning » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:28 am

7'6 mh is what I like. I like longer rods because you get over the fish better and longer rods you lose less fish.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 am

goldrod wrote:No disrespect intended but at one time I looked at the PHX line up of rods. From
what I read there was a lot of issues with the reel seat and guides. That kinda
turned me away. If this K2 is produced I would be interested in the QA as well.
no issues when you have them custom wrapped. :big grin: :big grin: \:D/ [-(

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:02 am

fished my phenix k2 715 and my bearing down yesterday at clear lake. i have to say that i love both rods. in the end, i have to give the sensitivity nod to the k2 but only by a little. i still think the k2's will be my jig rods but, if someone said i could "only" use the bearing down, i would not be too disappointed.

i usually cast with two hands on the rod so i like the smaller butt on the bearing down better but the k2 balances better and is sooooooo light. i think the k2 WITH a reel, td ito, weighs somewhere around 9 oz. (i think under actually but i've never weighed the rod). THAT along with the sensitivity makes that rod really, really hard to put down. and, when it comes to the butt, i could always have that replaced.

hope that helps you out, vishus.

edit: doing a little quick math. td ito plus k2 probably comes out between 9.5 and 10.5 oz.
Last edited by froteur on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Froteur,

Thanks for the post. I am very excited about what I hear on the K2. My custom Otterods K2 715 is supposed to be at my door on Tuesday. As soon as I get it, I will tie on a 3/8jig w/trailer and hits one of the local ponds that I am intimate with their bottom makeup and will see how SENSITIVE this rod is! Still considering a Edge, Bearing Down, and/or Nautilus a try... Or just get another K2 715 & 714...

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:11 pm

vishus wrote:Froteur,

Thanks for the post. I am very excited about what I hear on the K2. My custom Otterods K2 715 is supposed to be at my door on Tuesday. As soon as I get it, I will tie on a 3/8jig w/trailer and hits one of the local ponds that I am intimate with their bottom makeup and will see how SENSITIVE this rod is! Still considering a Edge, Bearing Down, and/or Nautilus a try... Or just get another K2 715 & 714...
welcome. have fun with the k2. too bad you don't live around here or i'd let you try the bearing down.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:17 pm

hearing u guys talk about the k2 makes the anticipation for the production models that much more unbearable