NRX 916C UBR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX 916C UBR

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:05 pm

dragon1 wrote:How is the sensitivity without braid? Say a standard copoly like CXX?
When I cast the 10XD, I'll use a reel with 12 or 14 lb. Fluoro. I'll throw a jig on with that same line and see how the sensitivity is.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:09 am

I thought I would update this thread after having more time on the water with this rod.

First off, this is by far the most versatile NRX out there and probably close to my favorite rod to fish (though, the 822S DSR still may hold the top spot overall). However, with that being said, I think G Loomis really missed the mark on the lure weight rating. I recently got a chance to cast a Picasso Baitball Extreme Umbrella Rig. For those who have never cast or seen one of these things, it's insane! I couldn't think of a better test for this rod, since it is labeled an Umbrella Rig Rod. I weighed the Baitball Extreme and it came in at 7.5 ounces, which is within the 8 oz. max. weight labeled on the rod. Man, I had a tough time casting this rig. That rod felt so underpowered. I had cast 5 oz. Swimbaits with this rod and it felt great, but this rig was just too much. The joy I have come to love in fishing this rod was gone while chucking that massive Baitball around for an hour. I really felt like I was going to break the rod on every cast (fortunately, I didn't and unfortunately, I didn't catch a thing with that rig).

As for fishing other lures, this rod is a punchers dream. I punched some heavy mats with 1.25 oz. weight and it was just amazing how well this rod handled that weight. Also, when you feel that fish, you can move him instantly. No soft loading, however, there was enough give that you didn't feel like you were going to break your rod while using the braid in close quarters.

This rod also really fishes frogs well (this topic has been beat to death in this thread, so I won't say much more).

This rod also handles swimbaits up to around 6 ounces well. Granted, I haven't tried throwing any heavier than that over the last 8 months, but after my recent experience with that 7.5 oz. Baitball Extreme, I don't think I would exceed 6 ounces.

I have never tried that 10XD like I said I was going to. Either I didn't have it with me or I just plain forgot (Once you get that 1 oz. weight on with some plastic and start working the weeds, a deep diving crankbait is that farthest thing from your mind).

Overall, I love this rod and have used it more than any of my other NRX's (except for the 822S DSR of course) this past year. The funny thing is that I haven't really thrown an Umbrella Rig with it, except just testing one out and for my Baitball Extreme experiment. It just fishes so many other techniques that well.

If you are reading this and considering buying one, I would realistically place the lure weight range from 3/4 oz. to 6 oz. Anything outside of that just doesn't fish ideally.

Unimog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Unimog » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks for the report!

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:03 pm

3.4-6oz? :shock:
That is a seriously versatile stick.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:33 am

Good stuff as always lucky craft man, and good heads up on the max lure weight. Solid info =D>

You mentioned earlier using this with baitsmith swimbaits. Hows the casting distance on this rod with the heavy soft swimbaits?
Do you have another(brand)swimbait rod that you use & compare this to?

Let us know how this rod does for deep cranks(& those big xd's) whenever you get the chance. I could see using the 916 as a deep crank rod, myself i actually like a slightly faster rod when fishing deep cb's

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:16 pm

spookybaits wrote:Hows the casting distance on this rod with the heavy soft swimbaits?
Do you have another(brand)swimbait rod that you use & compare this to?
Actually, I mostly cast the weedless Hudleston swimbait (which is around 5 ounces) when I fish swimbaits. This rod loads up quite nicely at this weight. As I mentioned, casting that 7.5 ounce A-Rig was just too much and around 6 ounces would be where I would place the cutoff of to where it goes from comfortable to slightly unpleasant in casting the lure.

I'm sorry to rave so much about this rod (I actually just ordered my third one today), but if you are looking for a sensitive high end stick with a lot of versatility, this could fit the bill.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:50 pm

Old thread, but I think I need to pull the trigger on one of these. My trusty 7'6" Powell tops out at 3oz. I don't always want to haul the long sticks around to throw around slightly heavier baits.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 am

Still one of the very best true heavy power rods out there. There really are not many true high end rods in these upper power ratings. I’ve got a custom reel seat and rear handle on mine and it’s been a workhorse for years. I also have the Poison Glorious 76XXH that is very similar and also would highly recommend it. The power is similar and the UBR is XF action and the PG is between a F and Mod-F action.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:22 am

Cranky wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 am
Still one of the very best true heavy power rods out there. There really are not many true high end rods in these upper power ratings. I’ve got a custom reel seat and rear handle on mine and it’s been a workhorse for years. I also have the Poison Glorious 76XXH that is very similar and also would highly recommend it. The power is similar and the UBR is XF action and the PG is between a F and Mod-F action.
:big grin:

Need both

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:53 am

My go to chioce for all variations and sizes of A-Rigs but I used it more and find better utility for it as a heavy flipping and punching rod! It can pull giants from super thick cover, the hit is like a lightning bolt!

For its power and length it s pretty light in weight compared to other rods of the same attributes and makes fishing this rigorous techniques easier with less fatigue.

For flipping and punching beware with using braid. With a close distance hook set, super strong rod and no stretch braid, you can end up ripping a large hole in the basses mouth that can lead to the hook falling out from the huge gap left behind.

If thats the case, try reeling down and apply steady lifting pressure. With this rod, braid, and super shard flipping hooks, you'll have no problem hooking a fish without leaving a huge hole in its face!

If your an old timer stuck in your ways snd its hard to stop yourself from monsters hook sets, try switching to very stretchy fluorocarbon to fish it more effectively.

When flipping and punching with this rod i use metanium XG. When a rig fishing I switch to either a calcutta conquest 100 for butter smooth cranking or 13 fishing z concept a3 for world-class long distance casting and rock solid drag.

Im sure this rod has other bass fishing techniques it excels at. What other ways do you guys use this rod?