NRX 916C UBR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NRX 916C UBR

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:53 am

This rod was just delivered today and I can't put it down! The tip on this sucker feels nice. It is much more limber than the BCFR954 and I bet this thing could handle lighter weights (1 or 2 ounces) well (i.e., a great punching rod). Though, without even casting it yet, I can't say for sure. Has anyone been able to get this rod out on the water yet?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: NRX 916C UBR

Post by bronzefly » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Had it in hand only, but agree. It certainly has heavy flipping/punching possibilities in addition to umbrella rigs and swimbaits.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Think I'm going for this stick next summer. My Shimano Cumara 7'4H is not quite strong enough for the frogging water I've been getting into this year, it just folds right in half and I loose all control trying to get 4lb+ fish from the slop. I played around with the 916 in the shop and it is right on the money. The long handle is just before my elbow so the leverage will be nice, the large dia reel seat is comfortable and looks strong. Also it does not take a hole lot of pressure to make this rod bend, however much stiffer than my BCFR894 GLX.

When I get this stick it will serve as a dual purpose heavy slop frogging rod as well as a punch/flipping stick.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:22 am

You know, the more I play with this fishing rod, the more I think about what it could do. Depending on the recovery, I bet it could cast a frog. I bet this rod will suffer a little in popularity being labeled an Umbrella Rig Rod (I will probably never throw an A-Rig with this rod, but I have a feeling this will be one of my most used rods next year). Though, it all goes back to how it fishes.

Bantam1
Manufacturer Support
Manufacturer Support

Post by Bantam1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:26 am

The action is more like a swimbait rod but it is heavy enough to punch with. I would not think of this rod as a frog rod, but it might work. The Cumara you are using is a good 3/4-1 ounce jig rod and not ideal for frogs. As usual with rods it depends on the end users style and needs. Just because a rod is labeled for technique X it doesn't mean it will not work for other applications.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:06 am

Bantam1 wrote:The action is more like a swimbait rod but it is heavy enough to punch with. I would not think of this rod as a frog rod, but it might work. The Cumara you are using is a good 3/4-1 ounce jig rod and not ideal for frogs. As usual with rods it depends on the end users style and needs. Just because a rod is labeled for technique X it doesn't mean it will not work for other applications.
That was my worry was being able to cast a 5/8oz frog on 60lb FX2. Yes the Cumara is strong rod and meant for jigs but with the good fast action and power it worked great for frogging. However I need more backbone, perhaps the 895 with the faster tip would be a better choice for the Frog. However the extra inch on the handle of the UBR is nice...all up to the cast and weather or not the tip will launch the frog...hmm

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:03 am

MTBF wrote:
Bantam1 wrote:The action is more like a swimbait rod but it is heavy enough to punch with. I would not think of this rod as a frog rod, but it might work. The Cumara you are using is a good 3/4-1 ounce jig rod and not ideal for frogs. As usual with rods it depends on the end users style and needs. Just because a rod is labeled for technique X it doesn't mean it will not work for other applications.
That was my worry was being able to cast a 5/8oz frog on 60lb FX2. Yes the Cumara is strong rod and meant for jigs but with the good fast action and power it worked great for frogging. However I need more backbone, perhaps the 895 with the faster tip would be a better choice for the Frog. However the extra inch on the handle of the UBR is nice...all up to the cast and weather or not the tip will launch the frog...hmm
I have both the 916 and 895. When I get a chance, I will go to my local pond and throw some frogs with each and let you know how they feel.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 am

Lucky Craft Man wrote:
MTBF wrote:
I have both the 916 and 895. When I get a chance, I will go to my local pond and throw some frogs with each and let you know how they feel.
That would be awesome, I have very very thick cover up here where I fish but let me know how casting is. I use the Core MgFV so I know the reel is very good at getting distance

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:19 am

MTBF,

Today I took my G Loomis TWFR 935C (which is what I currently use for hollow bodied frogs in heavy cover), the NRX 895C JWR, and the NRX 916C UBR all paired with a Core 100 MgFV and 50 lb. Braid. I also took with me a Spo Bronzeye Frog (5/8 oz), Live Target Field Mouse (3/4 oz), and a Spro Jungle Frog (7/8 oz). I casted the three different frogs with each rod for about 30 minutes a piece. I tried bomb casts, casts to targets (standing timber in this case) and casts under overhanging trees along the shore.

After casting all three rods with all three lures, I have to say that I actually liked the TWFR 935C the least! I used to think this rod was perfect for frogs, but after casting those NRX, that rod felt so heavy and cumbersome. The NRX 895C did slightly better than the 916C UBR when it came to casting under the overhanging tree, but the NRX 916C UBR did better when just bomb casting. They were both comparable when target casting at the stump. What amazed me was that the 916C UBR handled the Spro Bronzeye Frog just fine (the 5/8 oz lure). Granted I was able to cast the heavier frogs with a little more accuracy when using the 916C UBR, but I wasn't way off the target when casting that lightest frog. I have used the Mossyback BCFR 894C before with frogs and it would cast them a long ways, but there was no accuracy at all with it, because the tip was so stout. The 916C UBR has such a nice progressive tip. It allows you to cast those 5/8 oz lures where the rod feels extra extra fast, but when I started casting a 5 ounce A-Rig set-up, the rod felt just fast (as a side note, it was amazing how this rod would load with the A-Rig. It was effortless to cast that rig a long way. The rod would load up like a catapult and just sling that rig out there).

I also put on the 916C UBR a 1 ounce weight and a 5" Chiggar Craw and pitched it around some laydowns. This rod was incredible for this tactic. Again, with how the tip of the rod is designed, it just really would pitch that weight like nothing. The 916C UBR could actually replace a Swimbait Rod, a Punching Rod, Flipping Rod, and a Frog Rod all in one. It appears to fish all those techniques rather well. Whoever designed this rod I hope received a raise, because it really is a great stick (and I love the full rear handle. I only needed 1.4 ounces to balance it out versus the 2.2 ounces i had to use on the 895C JWR).

Long story short, if you are fishing in heavy heavy slop (or even in light cover), I wouldn't hesitate in getting the 916C UBR. People might call you crazy, but I think you will see that it will indeed cast a frog well (with no awkward effects of the tip being too stout and not flexing during the cast) and even though I didn't catch a fish today, I have no doubt this sucker will get a 6 pound bass out covered in 6 pounds of slop (it feels that strong). I hope this helps your decision as I was pleasantly surprised and I may be unloading my G Loomis TWFR 935C now that I have this rod.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:16 pm

First off thanks a lot for taking these two rods out to the pond and doing some experimenting for myself and others will find your info useful as well I'm sure. I'm glad to hear casting with the 5/8oz Slop Frog gave the rod almost a Ex-Fast feeling and getting distance wasn't a issue with this rod. I know when setting the hook the power will be there and slicing weed and keeping those 3-4lb+ fish up on top of the slop is important.

The balance point you mentioned is interesting too, must be the extra cork of the UBR that allows it to balance better. I am just starting to get into the light punching of plastics and have my range set between 1oz and 1.5oz for everything I see most summers to date, the fact I can punch when the frogging is slow with the same rod is nice also. I'm trying to find a use for that 895 but it might not fit into the arsenal quite yet. I'm happy with my pitching sticks and this addition for the heavy cover frog water I fish will be awesome.

Thanks for the extended review Lucky Craft Man. Accuracy I can work on but distance and a sore shoulder trying to force casts is not what I need, glad the tip loads slightly when casting.

MTBF

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:40 am

Lucky Craft Man wrote:I have both the 916 and 895. When I get a chance, I will go to my local pond and throw some frogs with each and let you know how they feel.
I originally chose to pick up the 916 but changed my mind last minute and went with the 895. Finally got it last week. Been waiting since July so I missed my chance to actually test it out!

I've jokingly dubbed this rod as the "Hero Stick" because I sense it will be first choice of weapons next summer for the majority of my bassin'! I've rigged it up my with my Core 100MgFV and it feels great. Can't wait to test it out.

The 916 for swimbaits? This is what I was contemplating. I want another swimbait stick to handle my soft swimbaits so I'm pretty sure I'll be picking this stick up soon. How do you think it would feel with a round reel on it?

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:25 am

Incredible review! But I would like to submit a request on flipping and pitching 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz jigs with trailer on the 916 if at all possible. Im not expecting too much as its towards the lower in of the spectrum in regards to rating but would be interested in what you have to say in regards to it performing. Again, thanks for the update.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 am

thukidad wrote:Incredible review! But I would like to submit a request on flipping and pitching 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz jigs with trailer on the 916 if at all possible. Im not expecting too much as its towards the lower in of the spectrum in regards to rating but would be interested in what you have to say in regards to it performing. Again, thanks for the update.
You know, after I came back, I thought to myself, "I wonder how that rod would handle a 3/8 oz. weight and 4 inch Chiggar craw?" I suspect that the rod won't load at all trying to pitch that weight, because pitching the 1 ounce weight seemed really on the low end of it's ability. Though, I will give a try, because I was surprised how well it would cast that 5/8 oz frog, so pitching a 3/8 oz. weight may surprise me as well. As soon as I get out there to try it, I will post my thoughts here.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:52 am

rubs96 wrote:
Lucky Craft Man wrote:I have both the 916 and 895. When I get a chance, I will go to my local pond and throw some frogs with each and let you know how they feel.
I originally chose to pick up the 916 but changed my mind last minute and went with the 895. Finally got it last week. Been waiting since July so I missed my chance to actually test it out!

I've jokingly dubbed this rod as the "Hero Stick" because I sense it will be first choice of weapons next summer for the majority of my bassin'! I've rigged it up my with my Core 100MgFV and it feels great. Can't wait to test it out.

The 916 for swimbaits? This is what I was contemplating. I want another swimbait stick to handle my soft swimbaits so I'm pretty sure I'll be picking this stick up soon. How do you think it would feel with a round reel on it?
Hmmm...I guess it would depend on the round reel. If it was like an Abu Garcia 5500C3, I would say it might not feel right (the reel seat and handle in this rod are not oversized like they seem to be on the heavier G Loomis Swimbait Rods). I have some smaller round baitcasters, like the old Bass Pro Pro-Qualifier, which fit ok on the rod.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:13 am

Lucky Craft Man wrote:Hmmm...I guess it would depend on the round reel. If it was like an Abu Garcia 5500C3, I would say it might not feel right (the reel seat and handle in this rod are not oversized like they seem to be on the heavier G Loomis Swimbait Rods). I have some smaller round baitcasters, like the old Bass Pro Pro-Qualifier, which fit ok on the rod.
That's good to know. It would mostly likely be paired with a Calcutta TE200GT. I don't have anything bigger than that for now :)