NRX 916C UBR

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: NRX 916C UBR

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:12 pm

thukidad wrote:Incredible review! But I would like to submit a request on flipping and pitching 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz jigs with trailer on the 916 if at all possible. Im not expecting too much as its towards the lower in of the spectrum in regards to rating but would be interested in what you have to say in regards to it performing. Again, thanks for the update.
I finally got a chance to take the 916 down to my local pond (I was in a race against the snow that was moving in) to test out some of the lower weights. I started off with a 3/4 oz. worm weight and a 4" Chiggar Craw. I was surprised that I was still able to pitch this light weight with this rod. It didn't load much, but there was enough in the tip to sling this weight out there. Plus, the rod is light enough that it doesn't feel awkward fishing a lure so much lighter than it's low lure rating (imagine trying to fish a 3/4 oz. lure with a Swimbait rod that has a lure rating of 3 oz. to 8 oz. I do think that would feel rather awkward).

I took off the 3/4 oz. weight and slid on an 1/2 oz. weight with the same 4" Chiggar Craw. This weight was just a little too light for the rod. I wasn't able to really sling the bait out this like I was with the 3/4 oz (the tip really didn't load under this weight while pitching). As far as flipping this weight or using a pendulum swing to get the bait out there, I didn't find the rod to be overbearing. It was actually somewhat comfortable with these techniques and this weight. Again, conventional casting or really trying to get distance while pitching this weight wasn't all that ideal.

My last test of the day was with 1/4 oz weight and the 4" Chiggar Craw. I expected to have the same results as I did with the 1/2 oz weight, but I wanted to see if this rod would just feel too stout for such a light weight. After about 25 minutes flipping this 1/4 oz. bait around the lay downs along the shore, I ended my experiment. It just didn't feel as good flipping this light weight as it did with the 1/2 ounce weight. I would say that 1/2 oz would probably be my cut off for using this rod.

After I finished with the different worm weight with the Chiggar Craws, I put on a Spro Frog. I know I already cast this lure and reported what I thought, I just wanted to try it again and verify my first opinion. Well, it didn't take long to confirm what I reported before, this rod can really be a good frog. It just would cast that Spro so well. I even wanted to see how accurate I could be with it (which was one of my negatives with this rod and the lighter frog). It did take a little adjusting, but I was able to really spot cast this frog next to trees and against the bank. It might not be the ideal open water frog rod (where I do think it maybe a near perfect slop frog rod), but after a little bit of time with it, it could really serve the purpose.

I truly think G Loomis overrated the low lure rating threshold. I think this rod can handle 5/8 oz lures and even 1/2 oz lures. With how responsive the tip is on this NRX, you are really able to fish much lighter lures than 3 oz. with it. What I have yet to test though is it's upper range. I did cast an A-Rig that I estimated to be around 5 ounces and it casted that well. I was going to bring a few 8 ounce musky lures I have (I don't have any 8 ounce bass lure to use) and see how this rod would do with them today, but in a hurry to beat the snow, I forgot. If I get another chance (before the lake freezes), I will chuck out a few 8 oz (and possibly larger) lures to see where it's upper lure rating threshold really lies.

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Awesome report! I wasn't really expecting it to handle the lighter weight well but I think I can find a use for it. Thank you for reporting back your findings

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:52 am

Very informative writeup Steve.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:43 am

Thanks for the input Luckycraft man!
Do you have any other NRX rods? I'm wondering how sensitive the 916 is compared to other NRX's? Were you able to get a good feel for bottom structure with those jigs? Does the sensitivity jump out at you like the NRX rods are known for?

I want an ultra sensitive swimbait rod for dragging hudds on the bottom. In winter the bites are so subtle, I tend to miss a lot of fish, confusing bites for bumping rocks/wood & vice versa.

got2be5
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by got2be5 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:13 am

spookybaits wrote:Thanks for the input Luckycraft man!
Do you have any other NRX rods? I'm wondering how sensitive the 916 is compared to other NRX's? Were you able to get a good feel for bottom structure with those jigs? Does the sensitivity jump out at you like the NRX rods are known for?

I want an ultra sensitive swimbait rod for dragging hudds on the bottom. In winter the bites are so subtle, I tend to miss a lot of fish, confusing bites for bumping rocks/wood & vice versa.
Im with you there.I was dragging a bait smith the other day felt a little tick missed him on the hook set,after looking at the bait paint was missing from both sides.Im always looking for something more sensitive.Might be an excuse for getting on the years,na that can't be it.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:57 am

Thanks again for the extended review and 2nd go at casting frog's. I am now leaning to go for this rod for frogging next summer.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:23 am

spookybaits wrote:Thanks for the input Luckycraft man!

I have six other NRX's. Here is how I would rank them in terms of bottom contact sensitivity:

NRX 895 JWR (I just got this rod and in my limited time with it, I can already tell this rod is the top of the pack in terms of sensitivity. This really has that initial "wow" factor)

NRX 822S DSR (incredibly sensitive rod and really allows me to read the bottom when drop shot fishing, especially with a tungsten weight)

NRX 853 JWR & NRX 916 UBR (my time with the 916 reminded me of my 853 in terms of sensitivity. Both are very sensitive where you can tell rock from sand from wood, but not quite at the 895 JWR level where you can feel the grooves in the bark of that wood)

NRX 852S JWR (a nice sensitive rod, but not on the level of the 822S DSR)

NRX 822S SYR (this rod was a little bit of a disappointed to me. I do not find this rod to be that much more sensitive than the GLX SHR822S that I traded in towards this rod).

Long story short, my initial impression of the 916 places it right in the middle as far as the sensitivity of the NRX rods are concerned.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:43 am

how nice it must be to also not have the stupid split grip!

thanks for your reviews =D>

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 am

SteveSchmelzle wrote:how nice it must be to also not have the stupid split grip!

thanks for your reviews =D>
Having a full grip on this rod is awesome (and I find this rod to be probably the best balanced rod out of the NRX line-up). I recently made a post on how I deal with the split grip issue and the unbalanced nature of these rods.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53628

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 am

Great write up on the sensitivity, thanks for that!

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Nice review on the NRX rods!

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 am

Any thoughts on how it would handle 10XD's? Man that would be awesome to have a rod that can handle punch duty and mag crankbait duty. Especially with NRX sensitivity.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:42 am

Great write up, looks like a versitile rod. I really like the full grip, also. I think it would be a bad bad rod here on Gunterville. I already have a SRD, so I will have to pass on this rod personally, but think it would be great if someone did a comparison of the two rods (Gary).

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:28 am

How is the sensitivity without braid? Say a standard copoly like CXX?

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:03 pm

DChiWildcats wrote:Any thoughts on how it would handle 10XD's? Man that would be awesome to have a rod that can handle punch duty and mag crankbait duty. Especially with NRX sensitivity.
Good question on the 10XD. I have a 10XD and if the water by my house thaws for a moment, I will go out there and cast it with the 916.