YOUR favorite jerkbait stick

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

YOUR favorite jerkbait stick

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:03 pm

I see a lot of posts asking what the best jerkbait rod is, and obviously this is very subjective. I want to hear what rod you use for throwing 3/8 to 1/2 ounce jerkbaits is....especially fron those who have gone through several to find what you feel is the perfect stick. If you're using a custom please note the blank you chose to build on.

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: YOUR favorite jerkbait stick

Post by dusty » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:37 pm

My custom mbr783 glx

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Megabass F3-68X4 RattleViper

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Soon the MBR 782 IMX I just ordered :)

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:53 pm

I use a custom MB783-MHX cut down an inch. It's been perfect with the exception that the blank is not 100% straight, which bugs me.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Phippy wrote:Megabass F3-68X4 RattleViper
BAM.
x2.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:18 pm

For a long time I was using a G.Loomis JBR752C jerkbait rod, it was and still is fantastic but it did struggle a bit with the heavier 1/2oz jerkbaits, not on the retrieve but casting. So I found something that was close, the Cabelas 6'3" M-F XML casting rod, this was an older one no longer made, it was a medium but it had a little more power than the Loomis so if I needed long cast with the heavier jerkbait I would go with the XML. Now I use the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 6'10" MH-MF casting rod, this to me it the bees knees!! Every now and again you come across a rod that just fits your style of fishing and for me this rod it ,I had to get another because it worked so well for square bills as well as jerkbaits and I often use both during a typical day in late spring early summer. The length was a bit to get used to but the fact I could get a longer cast and still use the downward rod stroke without having it hit the water was a big deal and being able to work the bait without the rod loading up as a typical cranking style rod does yet have the flex of a medium stick was the thing that sold me to use this as my full time jerkbait rod and I'm happy as a clam!!!!!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:37 am

smalljaw wrote:For a long time I was using a G.Loomis JBR752C jerkbait rod, it was and still is fantastic but it did struggle a bit with the heavier 1/2oz jerkbaits, not on the retrieve but casting. So I found something that was close, the Cabelas 6'3" M-F XML casting rod, this was an older one no longer made, it was a medium but it had a little more power than the Loomis so if I needed long cast with the heavier jerkbait I would go with the XML. Now I use the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 6'10" MH-MF casting rod, this to me it the bees knees!! Every now and again you come across a rod that just fits your style of fishing and for me this rod it ,I had to get another because it worked so well for square bills as well as jerkbaits and I often use both during a typical day in late spring early summer. The length was a bit to get used to but the fact I could get a longer cast and still use the downward rod stroke without having it hit the water was a big deal and being able to work the bait without the rod loading up as a typical cranking style rod does yet have the flex of a medium stick was the thing that sold me to use this as my full time jerkbait rod and I'm happy as a clam!!!!!
I had that rod, but the reel seat drove me bananas. It was a bit too much of a rod for jerkbaits for me. It handles every other moving bait technique very, very well. I liked the blank so much I was gonna rip the reel seat and grip off and rebuild it, but.....I sold it. I think the jerkbait rod is the hardest rod to get just right. Maybe I'm just too anal, but I really want to know what others have found to be ideal.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:27 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:For a long time I was using a G.Loomis JBR752C jerkbait rod, it was and still is fantastic but it did struggle a bit with the heavier 1/2oz jerkbaits, not on the retrieve but casting. So I found something that was close, the Cabelas 6'3" M-F XML casting rod, this was an older one no longer made, it was a medium but it had a little more power than the Loomis so if I needed long cast with the heavier jerkbait I would go with the XML. Now I use the Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth 6'10" MH-MF casting rod, this to me it the bees knees!! Every now and again you come across a rod that just fits your style of fishing and for me this rod it ,I had to get another because it worked so well for square bills as well as jerkbaits and I often use both during a typical day in late spring early summer. The length was a bit to get used to but the fact I could get a longer cast and still use the downward rod stroke without having it hit the water was a big deal and being able to work the bait without the rod loading up as a typical cranking style rod does yet have the flex of a medium stick was the thing that sold me to use this as my full time jerkbait rod and I'm happy as a clam!!!!!
I had that rod, but the reel seat drove me bananas. It was a bit too much of a rod for jerkbaits for me. It handles every other moving bait technique very, very well. I liked the blank so much I was gonna rip the reel seat and grip off and rebuild it, but.....I sold it. I think the jerkbait rod is the hardest rod to get just right. Maybe I'm just too anal, but I really want to know what others have found to be ideal.
If you wait until the go on sale Hogsticker2, the Cabelas XML has 2 models that do really well with jerkbaits, the 6'2" M-F and the 6'6" M-F, a guy in our club got them when I showed him my XML jerkbait rod. The difference seem to be that the new ones are just a touch slower or maybe my old one that is an inch longer at 6'3" has a bit more power but the 6'6" seems to be the same way, they are fast but very close to moderate fast and the mag touch reel seats are pretty nice. That could be a direction you may want to go or you could go with the JBR series loomis, I love mine but you have to be careful on the larger 1/2oz model jerkbaits.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:14 am

I use the new 6'8 medium/fast Cumara jig/worm rod.I have thrown Squad Minnow 95, Silent Pointer 95 and Flash Minnow 95/110 with no problems.I love the new handle,more comfortable than the old one. Used to use the 1st gen 6'3 and 6'8 but this has worked even better.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:57 am

Dobyns champion 684cb graphite. Just long enough. I can't seem to work them right with a 7ft rod and I'm a tall guy. 6'8 is perfect for me

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:27 am

MB X4 Black Elseil is my favorite. It has a unique action that works well for jerkbaits. The only downfall to this rod is the handle length being about an inch too long when I'm wearing a heavy jacket. I have short arms and the butt hits my arm if I'm wearing a coat. The rest of the year, it's great. I use a Dobyns Champion 705CB a lot as well and it's a close 2nd.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:11 pm

MBR 842/MBR 782/SJR 782 (3/8 - 1/2)

Shikari SHX PP 703.5 (3/8 - 1/2)

XMG LP844 (more so for 1/2oz - 5/8oz)

St. Croix SCV 6'6" MLF and 7'0" MLF (3/8oz rocks)

5/8oz and bigger hard jerkbaits, I prefer a more powerful rating.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:51 pm

G Loomis NRX 813C JBR

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 pm

For a while it was the MBR 782 IMX, but it struggles in ripping the bait in the CA Delta because of the vegetation. Still great for open waters. Then I had a custom made on a broken Steez SVF that broke at the reel seat nut. It is 6'2" and spiral wrapped. The rod is not as fast since it was shorten at the butt end. It is perfect for me since I am short and I need it to rip in the Delta.