YOUR favorite jerkbait stick

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
gabe
Angler
Angler

Re: YOUR favorite jerkbait stick

Post by gabe » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Dobyns 684c. Great stickbait and pop- r rod.

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:13 pm

Another vote for a Dobyns 704CB or a Megabass Orochi XX Jerkbait Special

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Megabass Jerkbait Special has been very nice to me :)

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:59 am

MBR 842 GLX! Awesome jerkbait rod!

G3Steve
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by G3Steve » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Dobyns 764CBRM. My favorite moving bait stick. During a tourney I would usually have a crank on that stick, so if I had to dedicate a jerkbait rod for the day I'd probably use my DX743.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:50 pm

Seems like the consenus is 6'8" for the most part

I have a cork crucial in 6'8" I think its med xfast , would that be a good choice or not?

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:37 am

That's funny you have that gold rod that was my first rod in the higher price range when I started getting heavy into bass fishing I found it to be a great all around stick. The rod was surprisingly great for jerkbaits !! The only negative thing about that rod was due to the xtra fast tip I felt I lost some fish, but that rod really makes your bait come alive when using it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:19 am

Revofisher wrote:That's funny you have that gold rod that was my first rod in the higher price range when I started getting heavy into bass fishing I found it to be a great all around stick. The rod was surprisingly great for jerkbaits !! The only negative thing about that rod was due to the xtra fast tip I felt I lost some fish, but that rod really makes your bait come alive when using it.

@Revofisher,

what line and reel did you use and j/b?

V/R
gr.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:02 pm

at that time i had a Revo s first gen model 6:3:1 with 10lb vanish fluro. Do not go this route lol. The vanish would seem to rot after three weeks and the revo s although a good reel didnt like casting the lighter baits. Despite my user name i currently own all shimano reels, and really like the core for jerkbaiting the 6:3 ratio model. it will cast them very well and the light weight was good on the wrist all day. The new met 2013 is a great reel and would be fantastic for jerkbaits cast a wide range of baits extremely well. I used the crucial for a long time for jerkbaits before moving on to other rods such as the crucial med hvy crank bait rod, and dobyns 704 cb. And i have to say i liked that crucial better lol for jerkbaits but landing ratio went up with the more moderate action rods for sure. now im going to try the orochii xx jerkbait special seems like a perfect blend of moderate power without being to whippy to deaden the baits action. I would use fluro just not the vanish buy a better quality and a reel thats comfortable to you for jerkbating and you will have a good set up. Honestly if you were to use mono it would probably give a little more stretch compensation for the jerkbaits considering that rod has an extra fast tip.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:11 pm

Revofisher wrote:at that time i had a Revo s first gen model 6:3:1 with 10lb vanish fluro. Do not go this route lol. The vanish would seem to rot after three weeks and the revo s although a good reel didnt like casting the lighter baits. Despite my user name i currently own all shimano reels, and really like the core for jerkbaiting the 6:3 ratio model. it will cast them very well and the light weight was good on the wrist all day. The new met 2013 is a great reel and would be fantastic for jerkbaits cast a wide range of baits extremely well. I used the crucial for a long time for jerkbaits before moving on to other rods such as the crucial med hvy crank bait rod, and dobyns 704 cb. And i have to say i liked that crucial better lol for jerkbaits but landing ratio went up with the more moderate action rods for sure. now im going to try the orochii xx jerkbait special seems like a perfect blend of moderate power without being to whippy to deaden the baits action. I would use fluro just not the vanish buy a better quality and a reel thats comfortable to you for jerkbating and you will have a good set up. Honestly if you were to use mono it would probably give a little more stretch compensation for the jerkbaits considering that rod has an extra fast tip.
If you liked that MH Crucial for jerkbaits, you should try the 6'8" Mh/f topwater rod. It is awesome for jerks from pointer 78 to vision 110s, really works great for the larger ones. Its a fast tip so not as whippy as the crank rods but is composite/Tc4 so it has some good flex once hooked up.Just a thought

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:55 pm

Sounds like a good one its hard to find that compromise of give in a rod that will work the bait properly but still have a good landing ratio.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Revofisher wrote:Sounds like a good one its hard to find that compromise of give in a rod that will work the bait properly but still have a good landing ratio.
Agreed, that's what makes that rod great is its the best of both worlds.

kgasuns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by kgasuns » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:23 am

St. Croix Legend Elite 7,6" Medium, Fast

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:01 pm

kgasuns wrote:St. Croix Legend Elite 7,6" Medium, Fast
u seriously use a rod that long for jerk baits?

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 am

6'5 cumulus for 1/4 - 3/8 jerks, 6'10 cumulus for 1/2oz