13 Fishing Envy Black Sensitivity?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

13 Fishing Envy Black Sensitivity?

Post by Phippy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:20 pm

It's been a while since I purchased a rod for under $200 but thought hell why not. But I don't want to be disappointed with sensitivity as I was planning on buying another StCroix LXC70MF using TW early black friday sale. Interested in the Envy Black 7'3" MH while I don't expect this rod to be as sensitive I don't want it to be a dud either. I'd rather just spend the extra $100 for a sure thing if you know what I mean. Main technique for this rod would be for 1/2oz football jigs with 12lb fluoro. So just how is the sensitivity on these Envy Black rods, thanks.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 13 Fishing Envy Black Sensitivity?

Post by EJP1234 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:04 pm

I can let you know in a few days, decided to order one Monday night. I was on the fence w/ the edge, but I'm buying a new house and decided to go a bit cheaper this year.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:22 pm

EJP1234 wrote:I can let you know in a few days, decided to order one Monday night. I was on the fence w/ the edge, but I'm buying a new house and decided to go a bit cheaper this year.
Thanks but I'm getting the Black Friday itch and probably can't wait that long. :D I'm hoping the extra fast action isn't all that fast maybe I should consider the 7'3" M as I fish mostly deep open water reservoirs and like my rods on the softer side.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:38 am

Phippy wrote:
EJP1234 wrote:I can let you know in a few days, decided to order one Monday night. I was on the fence w/ the edge, but I'm buying a new house and decided to go a bit cheaper this year.
Thanks but I'm getting the Black Friday itch and probably can't wait that long. :D I'm hoping the extra fast action isn't all that fast maybe I should consider the 7'3" M as I fish mostly deep open water reservoirs and like my rods on the softer side.
I have the 7'6" M Envy (and a number Omens). Sensitivity can be a pretty subjective issue when comparing rods. Often times we have biases toward one brand over another and these color our perceptions when discussing sensitivity.

If you search for Envy (or Omen) rods in the forum, most will agree that these rods do not lack sensitivity. In my hands the Envy fishes as well as any rod I own. A TT review of an Omen rod rated the rod's sensitivity as somewhere close to a Loomis IMX. High praise for a $100 rod. I would concur with that assessment having owned and fished both.

The Envy with it's 40T Toray blank is more sensitive than my Omen's (30 T Toray) so IMO the Envy is closer to GLX sensitivity (which is why I said it fishes as well as any rod I own :D ) (again my opinion)

Quite honestly, the only "dud" rods I ever owned was a Steez 6'7" and a Dick's Tech-Spec (they are gone). I have St. Croix LTB's, GLX's, IMX, Megabass, Evergreen, Jackall, Gan Craft, Cumulus, Damiki and Envy/Omen.

With all things your results may vary :)

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:40 am

hopefully this'll help cause I had the same issue as you and rec'd quite a few feedback

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=50624

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:55 am

Chode wrote:hopefully this'll help cause I had the same issue as you and rec'd quite a few feedback

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=50624
Thanks, I read up on that thread before I posted. Think I'll just make the plunge and decide for myself. I've read these rods are on the softer side for their ratings. I prefer fast action rods for my jigs is their medium to light for 1/2oz jigs in open water situations? I noticed once you moved up to the 7'3" model the lure rating increased. I like slightly softer rods than most for my jigs as I just seems more 4+lb smallies stay buttoned for me.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:06 am

After speaking with 13 Fishing this morning I decided on the Envy Black 7'3" medium, TW here I come. :lol:

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:14 am

Phippy wrote:After speaking with 13 Fishing this morning I decided on the Envy Black 7'3" medium, TW here I come. :lol:

Let us know what you think after you receive it and handle it and again after you fish it.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:05 am

holy crap they recommended u to get the Medium for 1/2oz jigs?

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 am

Chode wrote:holy crap they recommended u to get the Medium for 1/2oz jigs?
Yes, they mentioned to me that their medium is not a noodle. I prefer slightly softer rods for my open water 1/2oz football jigs and need something that loads properly when fighting 5+lb smallies near the boat. I've use my Orochi XX Flat sided special for 1/2oz football heads with good results can't imagine why this rod wouldn't.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:42 am

Phippy wrote:
Chode wrote:holy crap they recommended u to get the Medium for 1/2oz jigs?
Yes, they mentioned to me that their medium is not a noodle. I prefer slightly softer rods for my open water 1/2oz football jigs and need something that loads properly when fighting 5+lb smallies near the boat. I've use my Orochi XX Flat sided special for 1/2oz football heads with good results can't imagine why this rod wouldn't.
dude that's awesome to hear...I might be getting one too haha

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 am

I just received my Envy Black 7'3 MH today and unfortunately I had to send it back.Tip guide had a nick on it ran line true it started fraying my line also the top 4 guides in the rod had epoxy on them. It happens not complaining. I send it back for another 7'3 MH. Love the handle very comfortable the rod is beautiful. I also wanted to note the rod feels like a H not MH to me it feels like my 744. Not saying is better love my 744.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:19 am

Bassfan22 wrote:I just received my Envy Black 7'3 MH today and unfortunately I had to send it back.Tip guide had a nick on it ran line true it started fraying my line also the top 4 guides in the rod had epoxy on them. It happens not complaining. I send it back for another 7'3 MH. Love the handle very comfortable the rod is beautiful. I also wanted to note the rod feels like a H not MH to me it feels like my 744. Not saying is better love my 744.
Thanks for your feedback, sounds like the medium was the right choice for me. Sucks about your rod but even some of my new GLX rods had epoxy on the guides which I just removed myself.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37 am

Yeah I think you made the right choice that was the hole point of my first post. I hope you enjoy your new rod cause I'm going to as well.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:24 am

They fish more powerful than their rating. Unless you are a power junkie, or just pure junk fishing, you can almost drop a power.
If you aren't punching or dealing with overly big fish on a regular basis, the 7'6" MH is one sweet rod for pitching.