One B/C Rod for Jerkbaits, Spinnerbaits, and Deep Cranks??

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

One B/C Rod for Jerkbaits, Spinnerbaits, and Deep Cranks??

Post by BlaineFred » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:16 am

I fish tournaments as a co-angler... and I am searching for a rod that I can use for multiple purposes because I am limited in the number of rods that I can bring and properly manage. Rod management has sometimes been a problem, but another issue.

I am looking for a rod that I can use for deep cranks, jerkbaits, spinner baits, chatterbaits, 1/2 and 3/4 oz lipless rattling cranks, and Scroungers. Most lure weights will be 3/8-3/4 oz. If I can't find one rod for all of the purposes, then a rod for some of the purposes would be the way to go. That's a fall back position.

I don't like glass rods because of their bulk and heavier weight, preferring graphite or composite. And even some composits are bulky and heavy.

I just bought a Falcon Deep Runner in a good deal, and I like the way it handles. The top is moderate, not too fast, and not a noodle.

I need to test the Falcon more to see if I can sling a deep running crank a long way. My long-distance casting skills are limited.

I also have a Dobyns Champion 705CB composite. Maybe this is the rod? It could be because the Dobyns website has the primary applications as crankbaits and jerk baits and lipless cranks; and secondary uses as spinnerbaits and scrounger baits.

I am also looking at the Phenix X series. These are composite glass/graphite. I have an X-12 that I use as my smaller crankbait
rod, and the 7-6 length lets me cast small cranks a long way. I've been considering using the X-12 crankbait rig for some deep runners also, in the 1/2 oz range.

I am also looking at the CBR843 and CBR845.

I would most likely use 12-lb F/C, and a tuned Chronarch D5. I can also use a Core 51 or a Steez 103.

I posted a similar post in a thread on the best jerkbait rod, but I only received several replies.

I would greatly appreciate your thinking, ideas, and advice on my situation.

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: One B/C Rod for Jerkbaits, Spinnerbaits, and Deep Cranks

Post by grantman83 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:25 am

I use the champ 705cb graphite for those very applications with that very line. I have 765 for big or really deep stuff.

Lucky Craft Man
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lucky Craft Man » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:26 am

May I suggest a G Loomis SMR814C-CB? I think this rod will handle every technique well. The only technique that might be a little too much for this rod would be any Crankbaits that dive deeper than 14 ft. Granted, you could throw deeper diving cranks with this, but it might feel a little too weak. Other than that, I would give this rod a look (I like my SMR814 so much, I bought another). Good luck in your search.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:10 am

An MHX 907 CB would rock for these techs. Built with mid-micro guides in Alconites...you can also cut down the 7'6" length a little shorter if you don't like a rod this length for hard jerkbaits.

CB845 is a little too light for anything in the 3/4oz range, especially bulky spinnerbaits and deep divers in this range. If you want a ShimLoomis, a CB847 is a better choice, as is the CB906.

As mentioned, the 5 Power Dobyns Champion graphite CB series would likely also work well, as would at least the X12 power in the Phenix range.

One rod that would surprise you, and work well for all these techs is a Zombie 7'4" MH...longer rear handle (which means less usable rod length in front of the handle for casts, movement of lure on hookset, etc) and heavier overall weight are the downfalls of this rod. This said, casts exceptionally well, strong backbone, exceptional balance and workmanship. If you are lucky, you can find these rods for a relatively low price as well - just be aware that the company may or may not be around to support you in the short-longtime future.

Good luck.

pobigred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by pobigred » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:53 am

I have not used the 705CB graphite but regularly use the 705 CB Glass fast action and have found it to be excellent.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:53 am

My opinion is that you will be giving up something for the benefit of something else, regarding all of these apps. For example, a rod that excels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits is going to be on the heavy side for jerkbaits...Anyway, I will tell you that the CBR 843 is NOT the answer. The 845 can handle lipless and jerkbaits..too soft for most spinnerbaits and chatterbaits...and its on the soft side for deep crankbaits.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:18 am

I agree with steve1206. You are going to severly limit yourself either on the top end or back end. If the rod can handle deep cranks it won't cast your 3/8 well. If it cast the 3/8 well it will wear on you casting and retreiving deep divers. You need at least 2 rods. Not only that but line size needs to vary with the techniques your looking to utilize the rods.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:29 am

steve1206 wrote:My opinion is that you will be giving up something for the benefit of something else, regarding all of these apps. For example, a rod that excels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits is going to be on the heavy side for jerkbaits...
Agree with this.

Since you already own the 705CB composite, I'd give it a try. Is it the 705CB Glass or 705CBMF Glass. Although I prefer the 'fast' action model, the 705CBMF will allow you the most flexibility in both weight range & techniques.

As mentioned above, you'll be fishing a "compromise" rod trying to get all those techniques handled in one stick.

crankmaniac
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by crankmaniac » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:41 am

Any st-croix 7 foot medium power fast action will work. 8-)

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:31 am

civicrr wrote:
steve1206 wrote:My opinion is that you will be giving up something for the benefit of something else, regarding all of these apps. For example, a rod that excels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits is going to be on the heavy side for jerkbaits...
Agree with this.

Since you already own the 705CB composite, I'd give it a try. Is it the 705CB Glass or 705CBMF Glass. Although I prefer the 'fast' action model, the 705CBMF will allow you the most flexibility in both weight range & techniques.

As mentioned above, you'll be fishing a "compromise" rod trying to get all those techniques handled in one stick.
My vote would be for a 705cb or 705cb glass. I used to use a 705cb glass as an all purpose rod when hiking lakes in CA. It worked great. I'd imagine the 705cb graphite would do a better job.

Now- if you want the ultimate rode for those apps- something from megabass with their fast/mod fast actions would be the ticket- like the x4 destruction, or maybe a 5 power rod like the super bandersnatch. I've thrown visions, spinnerbaits & DDs with my x4 and it never let me down. Although- it's a bit long for jerkbaits. As previously stated- your going to have to compromise somewhere.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:57 am

steve1206 wrote:My opinion is that you will be giving up something for the benefit of something else, regarding all of these apps. For example, a rod that excels with spinnerbaits and chatterbaits is going to be on the heavy side for jerkbaits...Anyway, I will tell you that the CBR 843 is NOT the answer. The 845 can handle lipless and jerkbaits..too soft for most spinnerbaits and chatterbaits...and its on the soft side for deep crankbaits.
Thanks Steve. I was beginning to come to the same conclusion as you: I need two different rigs for the various applications. One rig just won't do it all with excellent performance. And I don't want to select a rig that does many things, but all of them poorly.

Now I need to decide on which TWO rigs: 1) spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, Scroungers, all in 3/8 and 1/2 oz; and 2) a rig for the lipless and jerkbaits. 3/8 thru 3/4 . I may be able to throw the deep cranks on my existing crankbait rig that has an X-12. The X-12 is 7-6 and rated as an MH with a moderate fast tip. But it fishes more like M. I have tossed 3/4 oz Spro lipless cranks with it, and it worked okay, although I would have liked a little more tip.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:23 am

crankmaniac wrote:Any st-croix 7 foot medium power fast action will work. 8-)
I would use it for deep cranks. Length and rating would be to low

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:44 pm

My conclusion....in my experience it is much to difficult to find a compromise that isn't to soft for single hook baits, and not to stiff for treble hooks. I finally excepted the fact that I need two rods. The new Tatula rods in the regular action feel pretty close, as did some of the old Kistler Helium and Magnesium fast action rods built on Batson blanks. I'm hoping their are going to be some universal rods in the Helium 3 line up. Some of the Fenwick rods I've owned were pretty multi purpose, but nothing high end. If you're dead set on one stick I would ask these folks for more info on Megabass rods.

Phippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Phippy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:47 pm

GLX 855 CBR is my spinnerbait and small swimbait rod. I also used it to throw LC Flat CB 20's and worked fine and can't see why it couldn't throw 1/2oz+ jerkbaits. The rod is intended to rip traps thru and around grass. While I wouldn't choose it as my first rod for ripping blade baits off the bottom it would work in a pinch if need be. Just one of those rods that can handle many reaction type situations.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:35 pm

I'm not sure where around here you are going to use true "Deep Cranks"? only place I can think of that you would be doing that is the lakes in VA and possibly Conowingo if your club goes there. If your just tidal fishing, then I wouldn't buy a rod for here locally with the intent of fishing deep cranks.

Finding a rod that can do all that you are asking for would be difficult, however out of my arsenal there is one that comes to mind that could do it, though it wouldn't be perfect at any of them, but would be decent at most...

Steez Flex-Lite 7'm Casting.

STZ701MRBA-FL