How many will survive?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

How many will survive?

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:19 am

I wanted to start a poll, granted I have no idea how to do so per TT format? :lol: :doh:

How many of these "new" upstart rod companies will survive? I recall fondly and with some wry humor, those that claimed not long ago that rod companies like Carrot Stix/E-something, and Duckett were going to RULE the rod industry and take the market by storm.

So...iRod, 13 Fishing, Denail, etc...what is everyone's feeeel-ing (like a finger pointing away to the moon) on this subject?

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: How many will survive?

Post by SLM » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:30 am

Yea--a lot of these look like vanity projects. Some are garnering big attention during their debut (or maybe it's just perceived attention) but probably won't last longer than five years...

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:15 am

I see 13 fishing being around as they are spread out, I also believe Denali will be around for awhile as they seem to have a good following and I see a lot of love already for the Kovert series. I don't know about irod, I don't hear the name mentioned or see much in print about them even though they have been out for a bit, only time will tell.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:56 pm

I float around bassresource now and again, a site more so geared for the beginner or weekend warrior. I see a lot of threads that mention Duckett rods. I think the white blanks attract a lot of attention from those who may not be as educated on gear. They are also coming out with reels. Out of the companies you mentioned I see the least new products and innovation from Irod, so my guess is they would be the 1st to go, and just the opposite with 13. I'm really looking forward to see 13's reel offerings.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:54 am

I don't know how many but I would guess more than a few. There is just so much competition at every price point and only so many anglers to buy said products. I think it is just a matter of time and some of these companies will just fall off along the wayside.It isn't enough to just have a good product these days.You have to have a great product and the marketing to let everyone know what you have for them.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:20 am

Just from looking at their current offerings and plans I could Denali hanging in there and 13 fishing. Especially 13 is their reels turn out to be a hit. I don't know much about iRod, but they may end up being one those companies that sticks around based on their products and not word of mouth.

EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by EJP1234 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:55 am

Seems like 90% of the people I see mention Denalli are pro staffers, or get the discount on them thru the Fed Nation? I picked one up at a not so local tackle store I visited, wasn't impressed.

I just got a 13 Black Envy to try out, decent stick, wanted to try something not so over the top as my other sticks to see how a $250 rod fished compared to a $500 stick as it's been a while and just wanted a mh rod for moving baits where I didn't feel a enthusiast rod was needed.... It's ok, I'll give it a work out come spring.

I as well picked up a iRod Air 7'MH to test for a very good deal. Rod is super light, I wouldn't say very sensitive tho from the little I fished it. As well, it's the only MH casting rod I have seen with such light ratings... I was really put off by this, I rigged it up with a drop shot, and a 1/4oz drop shot weight is really getting about where that rod needs to be. I'll give it a workout this spring too, but I'm thinking it's really only going to be used for baits like 4" worms as I just don't think it has the backbone to handle much else. The look is cool though, it's a nice looking stick for sure.

Ducketts are just flat out ugly to me.

Not sure who will be around, I think fishing has to broad of a selection right now for any of these companies to have longevity.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:56 am

EJP1234 wrote:Seems like 90% of the people I see mention Denalli are pro staffers, or get the discount on them thru the Fed Nation? I picked one up at a not so local tackle store I visited, wasn't impressed.

I just got a 13 Black Envy to try out, decent stick, wanted to try something not so over the top as my other sticks to see how a $250 rod fished compared to a $500 stick as it's been a while and just wanted a mh rod for moving baits where I didn't feel a enthusiast rod was needed.... It's ok, I'll give it a work out come spring.

I as well picked up a iRod Air 7'MH to test for a very good deal. Rod is super light, I wouldn't say very sensitive tho from the little I fished it. As well, it's the only MH casting rod I have seen with such light ratings... I was really put off by this, I rigged it up with a drop shot, and a 1/4oz drop shot weight is really getting about where that rod needs to be. I'll give it a workout this spring too, but I'm thinking it's really only going to be used for baits like 4" worms as I just don't think it has the backbone to handle much else. The look is cool though, it's a nice looking stick for sure.

Ducketts are just flat out ugly to me.

Not sure who will be around, I think fishing has to broad of a selection right now for any of these companies to have longevity.

Yes to me it seems that every Tom Dick and Harry around here locally is sponsored by Denali. Even guys that I've never seen in a tournament thank Denali as a sponsor in their signature on local boards. I feel that a lot of the fads around the bpard get started by a concerted effort on behalf of sponsored individuals. You see the same people chime in time and time again about the same rods. I really wish there was full disclosure about who is being paid to say what.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Halo rods get some hype but they just look awful using a video game logo and a teenie bopper vamp movie. I would vote them first to go. While at Cabela's I saw a lot of Duckett rods get returned so I would vote them second. I honestly can't believe Carrot Stix is still around as they were returned more than Duckett rods for breakage, third to go but really I just want them to go away. I have only seen the Denali Jadewood's and I wasn't impressed, not that they were bad but didn't feel any better than most of the house brand $50-70 rods. I too have noticed that they have a huge pro staff based on guys signatures. I honestly think Irod and 13 fishing are here to stay. Irod has some star power, good customer service, good looking rods, and Matt Newman seems like a good dude in the few emails with I had with him. 13 are great bang for your buck rods and they look good. Lots of positives for 13 fishing in quality of blank and overall feel of rod. I don't believe that you need reels to have lasting powers just good product that sells and keeps customers coming back.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:I float around bassresource now and again, a site more so geared for the beginner or weekend warrior. I see a lot of threads that mention Duckett rods. I think the white blanks attract a lot of attention from those who may not be as educated on gear. They are also coming out with reels. Out of the companies you mentioned I see the least new products and innovation from Irod, so my guess is they would be the 1st to go, and just the opposite with 13. I'm really looking forward to see 13's reel offerings.
I think flukemaster (one of the mods) is sponsored by Duckett...his boat only has Duckett rods in it, and in all his videos that's all you see him using.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Never was much good picking winners and losers. Buying public can be pretty fickle when it comes to purchases.

Personally, I think a rod has to aesthetically appeal to a wide audience and perform at a level above it's price point.

Those that fail in either will probably wind up going the way of the Dodo.

Once a rod makes this first cut, it will probably survive if not thrive in the market place. How successful each rod becomes will probably be determined by smaller design details, product availability and customer support.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Honestly, I think e21 shot themselves in the foot. They had the perfect storm of good publicity. They sign ken whiting as their rod builder, they win overall best of show with their carrot stix at icast, and they sign the bassmasters classic winner in boyd duckett. What do they do next? They deceive the public by making rods that weren't a direct representation of what they debuted at icast and offer horrible customer service. Now that's a winning formula for what we see today.

I think this is a perfect example of, we'll hand everything to u on a silver platter but u find some way to f it all up.

Dragboatdriver
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dragboatdriver » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:19 am

I see 13 fishing sticking around for a while. I have fished their envy series quite a bit. I don't own one, but I have a friend that swears by them and has let me use his. I must say I was very impressed. They performed on par with rods much more expensive and also have aesthetics that are very "JDM-esque." I compared them side by side with Megabass X7's, Phase III's, and X4's, along with some NRX rods and have nothing bad to say about them. Overall, if their reels prove to be a hit, I see 13 being around for a while.

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:48 pm

It's amazing so many companies actually formed during the economic down turn. If the demographics of angler's and their level of disposable income continues, most or all will survive. The brands that offer more than just a rod that sounds cool or looks cool or has a hot shot pro using them will expand. Those brands that are bass only and limited in SKU's will have the greatest challenge. TW has 39 rod manufactures listed right now. Check that list in 12 months. Rods are not a disposable commodity like toilet paper, or tooth paste. You don't just use a rod up in 30 days and buy another. There are so many purchase opportunities and each rod company is fighting to get your cash.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 am

There's alot of options out there right now for us anglers to choice from for every angler. But if carrot stix survives this time around I will be shocked just what I heard and actually seen of these rods breaking in half on cast. Hopefully they change alot of things to get there customers back. There is one small company I do buy from and that is Power Tackle, all there sticks are built on North Fork Composite blanks and are made right in Del Rio TX, the owners Judy & Tim are awesome to deal with also.