Powell Rod question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Mindangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Powell Rod question

Post by Mindangler » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 am

I asked this question over at Another website, had over 250 views and no replays . So I wanted to try here. I am in the market for a new Powell rod 734 c . I have owned a Max 734c before (lost it at Naci) , loved the rod. But I was wondering, besides the $50 difference, what are the major differences between the 734Max and the 734 Inferno Rods? Thanks!

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Powell Rod question

Post by biggs » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:46 am

Stainless steel guides :barf: vs Alconites.

WTF.......Powell Max under 7ft went up to $169??? Were they not $139 before????

Navrik
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Navrik » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Yes they were. I guess they moved up the price range as the Inferno slotted in between the Diesel and Max ranges.

Cannot comment on the Inferno range as I have not seen or felt it yet. Reel seat for one is totally different from what I can see. I must say I like the look of them and the fact that each rod's pattern is totally unique.

I have been fishing with Powell Max for the last 4 years and also own 1 Endurance.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:48 am

Navrik wrote:Yes they were. I guess they moved up the price range as the Inferno slotted in between the Diesel and Max ranges.

Cannot comment on the Inferno range as I have not seen or felt it yet. Reel seat for one is totally different from what I can see. I must say I like the look of them and the fact that each rod's pattern is totally unique.

I have been fishing with Powell Max for the last 4 years and also own 1 Endurance.
I actually think the Inferno rods are the best looking rods they make, but the SS guides will be a big no-no if you use any braid IMO. The Endurance rods are still my favorite of the Powell rods.

Fbass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Fbass » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:43 am

I don't understand what you're talking about. Alconite refers to the type of ceramic insert and stainless steel is the frame. So max rods and endurance ARE stainless steel alconite Fuji guides.
Other than the appearance of rods, the inferno are pretty close to the max rods except for mid-micro guides and different reel seat. The 734 CF has a very unique taper and length it's my go to rod for all moving baits except crankbaits. Pretty sure it's gonna be hard to tell them apart blind testing the two rods although I haven't handle the specific inferno rod. Basically it boils down to what sort of guide and reel seat you prefer.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:50 am

Fbass wrote:I don't understand what you're talking about. Alconite refers to the type of ceramic insert and stainless steel is the frame. So max rods and endurance ARE stainless steel alconite Fuji guides.
Other than the appearance of rods, the inferno are pretty close to the max rods except for mid-micro guides and different reel seat. The 734 CF has a very unique taper and length it's my go to rod for all moving baits except crankbaits. Pretty sure it's gonna be hard to tell them apart blind testing the two rods although I haven't handle the specific inferno rod. Basically it boils down to what sort of guide and reel seat you prefer.
The Inferno rods don't have guide inserts. Essentially they're just stainless frames.

Keith Bryan
Angler
Angler

Post by Keith Bryan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 am

With respect to the SS 304 Guides on the Inferno Rods, we just couldn’t be happier with their performance, durability, and lightness. We tested these baby’s for a long time in the toughest conditions, saltwater, big fish, braided line, etc, etc, etc., and not one issue in terms of how they hold up, we are very pleased.

In terms of their construction, yes they have a mechanically locked in stainless ring insert that will not pop out, and we just love them. When we can take advantage of a technological benefit we will, and these guides certainly have that.

Yes a few Max rods went up a bit, that’s the first increase since 2008 on the Max Rods. Look around, they are still a great bang for the buck compared to what’s out there, blank material, quality cork, guides, metal finish rings, etc. Heck what hasn’t gone up, just go to the grocery store if you want to really get concerned.

Yes this Inferno series is smoking hot, (no pun intended) and we are very pleased with what we are seeing and hearing on this initial roll out. If you like the Max you’re going to like the Inferno most likely, but we won’t please everyone.

Thanks again for all of your support, if you have more questions, just email us at info@powellco.com because we just don’t get here that often.

Merry Christmas

Keith Bryan

Mindangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Mindangler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:16 pm

Thanks for the replays guys. Went into Tacklewarehouse the other day and compared the 734 Max and the 734 Inferno, the inferno actually felt very similar and to me a bit lighter then the Max. I ended up buying the Inferno 734 ( at $50 less then the max leaves more money on other baits!) . Hopefully I'll get on the water this week and let you know my opinion of the rod!

Mindangler
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Mindangler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:26 am

I wanted to get back and give my review of the Powell 734 Inferno. I have been out chasing spotted bass. Throwing 3/8 and 1/2 oz football jigs in rocky areas, also used it with small (3-5 inch) swimbaits. Both techniques using a Curado spooled with 12lb flouro. In comparison to the Max 374, in my opinion the Inferno feels lighter, is well balanced, handles well and I have to say I am very pleased with the rod! With a $50 difference in price, I would say its a no brainer in choosing between them.