swimbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SneakySnook
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

swimbait rod

Post by SneakySnook » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Is there a swimbait rod that would work for 1-5oz lures in the $300 range. I was looking at the Daiwa Zillion TDZL741XHFB and read the review and sounds like a good rod for the price. I was also looking at the Gloomis SWBR955 but saw that the rating was from 2-5oz. Wanted to know if anyone has tried of these rods and the rating and what you think of them.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: swimbait rod

Post by Craiger12 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:58 pm

I have yet to use either, but the Dobyns 795MLSB and 795SBMT are both rated 1-5oz and cost less than $300. Sorry, I can't comment on the rods you mentioned.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:30 pm

Craiger12 wrote:I have yet to use either, but the Dobyns 795MLSB and 795SBMT are both rated 1-5oz and cost less than $300. Sorry, I can't comment on the rods you mentioned.
4oz is about as heavy as I'd use on my Dobyns 795ML. While it can fish heavier lures, it felt borderline overloaded to me.

The GLoomis 955 was my first swim bait rod. Same deal IMO. 4oz is about as heavy as I'd like to fish it.

I don't throw a lot of the heavier baits. Hopefully some of the dedicated SB guys will weigh in.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:41 am

I was gonna say 795 too but it seems like the OP wants something specifically in that $300 price range. If that's the case, I say look into getting an LDC custom built.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:36 pm

SneakySnook wrote:Is there a swimbait rod that would work for 1-5oz lures in the $300 range. I was looking at the Daiwa Zillion TDZL741XHFB and read the review and sounds like a good rod for the price. I was also looking at the Gloomis SWBR955 but saw that the rating was from 2-5oz. Wanted to know if anyone has tried of these rods and the rating and what you think of them.
Can you tell me what baits you are planning to throw with your rod you're planning to buy? The type of baits you plan to throw will definitely help narrow down the choices a lot. I have used the daiwa zillion 7'4 swimbait rod, but I need you to specify what sort of baits you plan to throw. There are a couple of great options in that lure range and price range as well.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:28 pm

The Zillion will easily handle the weight range you're looking to throw. I don't throw a ton of swimbaits, but I use them in the ocean for rockfish (and occasionally for bass, too). I throw 1 - 4 oz jig heads with fish traps. The rod handles the weight effortlessly and is pretty sensitive (at least to me). I have mine paired with a Pluton.

SneakySnook
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SneakySnook » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:41 pm

beezy wrote:
SneakySnook wrote:Is there a swimbait rod that would work for 1-5oz lures in the $300 range. I was looking at the Daiwa Zillion TDZL741XHFB and read the review and sounds like a good rod for the price. I was also looking at the Gloomis SWBR955 but saw that the rating was from 2-5oz. Wanted to know if anyone has tried of these rods and the rating and what you think of them.
Can you tell me what baits you are planning to throw with your rod you're planning to buy? The type of baits you plan to throw will definitely help narrow down the choices a lot. I have used the daiwa zillion 7'4 swimbait rod, but I need you to specify what sort of baits you plan to throw. There are a couple of great options in that lure range and price range as well.
Spro BBZ-1 shad and 6" swimbait, Black Dog shellcracker, and Huddleston 6" and 8" trout for now. Can you recommend any other ones I should look at using?

SWH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SWH » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:04 pm

Just get a long handle if you wan't to throw 5 oz baits. I'd use different rods for 6 and 8" baits though.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Production level LDC (low down customs) in H is what you want. Talk to swimbaiters - or go to the 2 main forums for this technique (swimbaitunderground or swimbaitnation) to get more info relevant to your goals

SneakySnook
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SneakySnook » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 am

Gblaze wrote:Production level LDC (low down customs) in H is what you want. Talk to swimbaiters - or go to the 2 main forums for this technique (swimbaitunderground or swimbaitnation) to get more info relevant to your goals
Thanks I'll check them out.

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:23 am

SneakySnook wrote: Spro BBZ-1 shad and 6" swimbait, Black Dog shellcracker, and Huddleston 6" and 8" trout for now. Can you recommend any other ones I should look at using?
The weights vary greatly with those baits. The spro bbz-1 shad is on the lower end of the weight spectrum and even then, it doesn't really cast well with any rod to tell you the truth. It has a lot of air resistance for a bait of that size. For the bbz-1 4" shad, I would recommend you throw it on any heavy rated bass rod. Here is my breakdown for specific rods that might match your choice of baits:

Dobyns 795MLSB: This is the mike long special with a longer handle. There are two models of this 795 rod and this is my preferred one for guys who like to throw bottom bouncing swimbaits. The longer handle lets you tuck it inside your elbow and palm the reel better. As for baits, this is actually one of my favorite rods swimbait wise. Gary Dobyns did an excellent job of translating that soft tip that his rods are known for and giving that to the swimbait rods. This rod is perfect for the black dog shellcracker (wooden or plastic version) and the huddleston 6" or 68 if you can get those. It "can" throw the 8", but it's not the best rod to do so. I prefer a heavier powered rod to throw the 8" huddleston. If you don't really throw the 8" huddleston that much, then I would recommend this rod for the other baits you mentioned.

Daiwa zillion TDZL74XHFB swimbait rod: I used to own this rod and used it quite a bit for casting swimbaits. In my opinion, this is a very stout stick. Most daiwa rods in my opinion are rated modestly in their lure range. This rod has a very stiff tip that is not very well suited for casting lighter swimbaits like the spro bbz shad. The handle is also not the length that I would love for bombing swimbaits out there. I believe it was a little under 13" long when I measured it when I used to have it. This rod would be a little better for casting the 8" huddleston due to the stiff tip. If you're not a fan of longer handles, then by all means go for this rod.

Low Down Customs (LDC) 8' H swimbait rod: A lot of people swear by this rod because it is made by hand by Ben of Low Down Customs. He makes both production and custom swimbait rods. Based upon the information I know, the production model (which I own) is a moderate action rod while the custom model has a fast action similar to Dobyn's rods. I purchased the 8' H to throw similar baits like you. I wanted to throw 6", 7", and 8" triple trout swimbaits that weight about 2 ounces, 6" huddlestons, 6" bbz-1 swimbait, and 3:16 lure company baby wake topwater swimbaits. Casting wise, this production model, due to its moderate taper, isn't the most accurate caster. Think of it like a magnum power crankbait rod and you'll get a better idea of what I mean by this rod isn't a great caster. I have owned this rod for about a month now and its decent for the money. Plus, it is spiral-wrapped and does have a custom rod feel to it.

I have never used the gloomis swimbait rod that you mentioned so I won't say anything about it. But I have used quite a bit of Dobyns swimbait rods including the 807, okuma guide select rods, and even musky rods to throw the very heavy swimbaits. In my opinion, based upon the lures you mentioned, I would highly recommend the Dobyns 795mlsb swimbait rod. You won't be disappointed with it at all.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:49 am

beezy wrote:
SneakySnook wrote: Spro BBZ-1 shad and 6" swimbait, Black Dog shellcracker, and Huddleston 6" and 8" trout for now. Can you recommend any other ones I should look at using?
The weights vary greatly with those baits. The spro bbz-1 shad is on the lower end of the weight spectrum and even then, it doesn't really cast well with any rod to tell you the truth. It has a lot of air resistance for a bait of that size. For the bbz-1 4" shad, I would recommend you throw it on any heavy rated bass rod. Here is my breakdown for specific rods that might match your choice of baits:

Dobyns 795MLSB: This is the mike long special with a longer handle. There are two models of this 795 rod and this is my preferred one for guys who like to throw bottom bouncing swimbaits. The longer handle lets you tuck it inside your elbow and palm the reel better. As for baits, this is actually one of my favorite rods swimbait wise. Gary Dobyns did an excellent job of translating that soft tip that his rods are known for and giving that to the swimbait rods. This rod is perfect for the black dog shellcracker (wooden or plastic version) and the huddleston 6" or 68 if you can get those. It "can" throw the 8", but it's not the best rod to do so. I prefer a heavier powered rod to throw the 8" huddleston. If you don't really throw the 8" huddleston that much, then I would recommend this rod for the other baits you mentioned.

Daiwa zillion TDZL74XHFB swimbait rod: I used to own this rod and used it quite a bit for casting swimbaits. In my opinion, this is a very stout stick. Most daiwa rods in my opinion are rated modestly in their lure range. This rod has a very stiff tip that is not very well suited for casting lighter swimbaits like the spro bbz shad. The handle is also not the length that I would love for bombing swimbaits out there. I believe it was a little under 13" long when I measured it when I used to have it. This rod would be a little better for casting the 8" huddleston due to the stiff tip. If you're not a fan of longer handles, then by all means go for this rod.

Low Down Customs (LDC) 8' H swimbait rod: A lot of people swear by this rod because it is made by hand by Ben of Low Down Customs. He makes both production and custom swimbait rods. Based upon the information I know, the production model (which I own) is a moderate action rod while the custom model has a fast action similar to Dobyn's rods. I purchased the 8' H to throw similar baits like you. I wanted to throw 6", 7", and 8" triple trout swimbaits that weight about 2 ounces, 6" huddlestons, 6" bbz-1 swimbait, and 3:16 lure company baby wake topwater swimbaits. Casting wise, this production model, due to its moderate taper, isn't the most accurate caster. Think of it like a magnum power crankbait rod and you'll get a better idea of what I mean by this rod isn't a great caster. I have owned this rod for about a month now and its decent for the money. Plus, it is spiral-wrapped and does have a custom rod feel to it.

I have never used the gloomis swimbait rod that you mentioned so I won't say anything about it. But I have used quite a bit of Dobyns swimbait rods including the 807, okuma guide select rods, and even musky rods to throw the very heavy swimbaits. In my opinion, based upon the lures you mentioned, I would highly recommend the Dobyns 795mlsb swimbait rod. You won't be disappointed with it at all.
This is a great description. On the money. I have the custom LDC H and "had" a D795mlsb. They both are great rods- but the LDC IMHO is better, more refined. Best Hudd 68 rod there is, no doubt in my mind.

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:28 am

SneakySnook wrote:
beezy wrote:
Spro BBZ-1 shad and 6" swimbait, Black Dog shellcracker, and Huddleston 6" and 8" trout for now. Can you recommend any other ones I should look at using?
I think its about confidence and matching the forage. Where I am the 316 Wake jr and baby wake produce, the Hudd 68 is killer for me- and the big (8'' and >) catch muskie. I have tried the 250 SS glide bait and it did not produce. So I think there ARE regional differences

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:02 am

Custom...

So many differing values of blank material, loading characteristics, weight, backbone, length, action, etc.

Lots of great blanks available for swimbait rods IMO.

Phenix

St. Croix

Batson

Seeker

Mudhole MHX

Hydra

Lamiglas

Rogue (heard a rumor these guys are no longer selling blanks?)

Backbounce salmon models to musky spec to inshore/light SW.

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:12 pm

I know Tackle warehouse doesn't sell them and they do get over looked, Power Tackle Makes a 7'11 4 power & a 7'11 5 power swimbait rods they are well built and built right in Del Rio Texas on Northfork composite blanks. The five power is rated to.5Oz and would throw it but.wouldn't throw anything heavier though.