Best UL rod for 1/64oz micro-jigs

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best UL rod for 1/64oz micro-jigs

Post by aditud » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:37 pm

I've become very adept at using the Trout Magnet and catch plenty of wild or stocked trout on it. Problem is I got to the point where I feel I should look for a rod that can throw the tiny 1/64oz lure decently. I manage nice, long casts with a Fenwick ERR 7'6" L rod, but this is just too much of a rod for many of the small streams I fish. I have his smaller brother, the ERR 6'8" UL (same lure rating of 1/32-3/16) but, in spite of the much better feeling I get fighting small trout on it, this gives me way shorter casts. I've tried various UL and L rods in the price range $200 and under, yet the best results in casting distance are from the ERR 7'6" (which I don't always like using for the reasons above). I figure there's a combination between the length and the tip of this rod that does the job, something that fails with the ERR 6'8" UL.

Very whippy, limp rods are not the answer, as the hooksetting ability is important too. I used to lose many trout while fishing such rods back in the day. It seems to me that a fast action and a stiff tip are required with tiny jigs; the ERR 6'8" UL is all that, yet it has the casting distance issue. I have compared the ERR series with the TSR series from Loomis, and, honestly, could not find the justification for the premium you have to pay for the TSR (I'll stop short of saying the Fenwicks are better for micro-jigging). What else is out there? Will the 2pc 7' Phenix Elixir be good at this? I use little-stretch, very light line (under 0.15mm/0.006" diameter) and high quality reels such as Fuego/Luvias 1000-1500, so I'm after the ideal rod now :D .

And yeah, I forgot to mention that I don't use a float or any extra weight in small, clear streams with spooky wild trout, so it's just me and the tiny 1/64oz lure :) .

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best UL rod for 1/64oz micro-jigs

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Yes take a look at the Phenix Elixer, not the Mirage. The mirage is great but very UL and probably a bit to whippet for what you are looking for. The Elixer comes in a lot of 2 piece but also single piece as well. The way the two piece is built and farreled you won't see any flat spots in the blank under load. And if you go to the Phenix site you will see plenty of Trout upwards of 20lbs caught on the Elixer! So plenty of power as well!

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 pm

Vince Borges wrote:Yes take a look at the Phenix Elixer, not the Mirage. The mirage is great but very UL and probably a bit to whippet for what you are looking for. The Elixer comes in a lot of 2 piece but also single piece as well. The way the two piece is built and farreled you won't see any flat spots in the blank under load. And if you go to the Phenix site you will see plenty of Trout upwards of 20lbs caught on the Elixer! So plenty of power as well!
Thanks. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Where can I try a rod like that around here? I feel a bit uneasy about spending close to $200 for it without handling it first. There are other issues here, such as deciding between the 7'6" and 7' (I'd go with the longer if it's not too whippy compared to the shorter). Also, checked some websites that carry the Elixir for $189 including shipping at these lengths, but it's not clear if it's the full or split grip that they offer (I'd go with the split).

jmatsuoka
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmatsuoka » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:53 pm

i would second the elixer and the 8ft telescopic is what i would choose. I have handled this rod and i love it. lots of tip action and still the perfect backbone to get the job done. 8ft would help you with the casting distance. Since its jig fishing the backbone of the elixer helps for hook setting power. tip will help get the jib out further then shorter rods.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:55 am

HI aditud,

If you really want to catch trout on very light equipment you might consider a fly rod. This would give you the ability to cast the very lightest jigs and flies. Plus you can fish from top to bottom of the water column. The fly rod is very versatile on small streams.

Just to be clear I am not suggesting you use a fly rod for your casting reel.

Frank

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:48 am

FrankW wrote:HI aditud,

If you really want to catch trout on very light equipment you might consider a fly rod. This would give you the ability to cast the very lightest jigs and flies. Plus you can fish from top to bottom of the water column. The fly rod is very versatile on small streams.

Just to be clear I am not suggesting you use a fly rod for your casting reel.

Frank
Happy New Year!

Yes, I heard that one before. However, I am not ready to take up another time & money consuming hobby. Maybe after retirement...still long ways to go.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:11 pm

The optimal rod for this sort of presentation (light line, UL jigs fished on the drop or drift) is used extensively in Japan, Europe and the UK. Unfortunately you won't be able to go to your local tackle store to check one out AFAIK. Originally developed in Japan these rods are referred to as 'LRF' models (LRF = light rock fishing) and have a medium-fast taper but most importantly a finely tapered solid graphite tip which does two things - firstly it casts light jigs more efficiently than a hollow tapered tip (not sure why exactly but it works) and secondly it is more sensitive and you feel mushy bites better. They also use light fluorocarbon (around 3lb) as this too is more sensitive than mono and because it sinks in a straighter line you get better contact with your bait. The best value for money brand is Major Craft - they offer LRF rods from $70 to $250 (+/- Yen 100 = $1). See links - make sure you look at 'solid tip rods' as they also offer hollow tips for different applications. Unfortunately you will need to order from offshore.

http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/english/cat ... ?mode=id/1
http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/english/cat ... mode=id/19 - the Zalz range is very popular in UK

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:02 am

Allsorts wrote:The optimal rod for this sort of presentation (light line, UL jigs fished on the drop or drift) is used extensively in Japan, Europe and the UK. Unfortunately you won't be able to go to your local tackle store to check one out AFAIK. Originally developed in Japan these rods are referred to as 'LRF' models (LRF = light rock fishing) and have a medium-fast taper but most importantly a finely tapered solid graphite tip which does two things - firstly it casts light jigs more efficiently than a hollow tapered tip (not sure why exactly but it works) and secondly it is more sensitive and you feel mushy bites better. They also use light fluorocarbon (around 3lb) as this too is more sensitive than mono and because it sinks in a straighter line you get better contact with your bait. The best value for money brand is Major Craft - they offer LRF rods from $70 to $250 (+/- Yen 100 = $1). See links - make sure you look at 'solid tip rods' as they also offer hollow tips for different applications. Unfortunately you will need to order from offshore.

http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/english/cat ... ?mode=id/1
http://www.majorcraft.co.jp/english/cat ... mode=id/19 - the Zalz range is very popular in UK
Checked it out. Interesting! How heavy and how thick are the blanks? They look pretty solid. Do they feel more like some Light action rods, or they're truly Ultra-Light? Looks like Tackle4all sells them at 109EUR (shipping to US included), which is the manufacturer suggested retail price. I couldn't find any Japanese website selling them. You know of any?
Thanks!

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:25 am

Blanks are light - solid section is maybe 8" - definitely UL - I've got a Shimano model made for European market and I fish it with 4-5lb and would happily run 3lb. They are crisp - not (forgive me!) like the budget UL rods (Cherrywood/St Croix/Shimano I see on our market) which are soft, slow recovering thick tipped horrors. Closest comparison would be something like a Loomis IMX S842-2. You might try Plat http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default.php or http://www.cloudninetackle.jp/ - mates have used him and he's very good - he doesn't list Major Craft but can supply it. I'd be inclined to go with JP vendors - price will be better and the two stores above can get anything you want.

If you want to read up on LRF this is the definitive work on it - written by an Englishmen about saltwater but lots that I think you will find useful http://issuu.com/jerseybassguides/docs/lrf-game-beta6

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:35 am

Just to save time - the LRF rods on Japanese sites are referred to as 'Mebaru' and 'Ajing' rods, the two prime species targeted. Here's an example:

http://www.cloudninetackle.jp/product/3362

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:34 am

Allsorts wrote:Just to save time - the LRF rods on Japanese sites are referred to as 'Mebaru' and 'Ajing' rods, the two prime species targeted. Here's an example:

http://www.cloudninetackle.jp/product/3362
Thanks again.

I emailed them about the 7'3" solid tip Zaltz Mebaru 0.5-5g. Looks like what I need. I found it on tackle4all.com for less than $150 (shipping included), and this price seems very competitive for this rod (it is listed at same price on the Major Craft website) that on , even though the store is UK based. But I'll wait and see what the JP vendor has to say.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:41 am

Glad I could help - let us know how it works for you.

aditud
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aditud » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:23 am

Vince Borges wrote:Yes take a look at the Phenix Elixer, not the Mirage. The mirage is great but very UL and probably a bit to whippet for what you are looking for. The Elixer comes in a lot of 2 piece but also single piece as well. The way the two piece is built and farreled you won't see any flat spots in the blank under load. And if you go to the Phenix site you will see plenty of Trout upwards of 20lbs caught on the Elixer! So plenty of power as well!
I'm trying to acquire some info on an Elixir rod (this one sold by Sport Chalet)...man, what a challenge! Outkasttackle.com won't send me pictures of the ones they have, Sport Chalet can't tell me how long the whole handle is (from buttcap to tip of foregrip)...

Also, would you say there's a considerable difference in rigidity between the 7'6" and the 7'? Personally, I like the longer rods, but will settle for the 7' if the 7'6" is too whippy by comparison.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:21 am

What about a loomis SJR 720 or a SR 720-2 GL3?

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:23 am

Sorry didn't see your loomis comment.