Steez Rods - value at lower cost?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
EJP1234
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez Rods - value at lower cost?

Post by EJP1234 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 pm

spookybaits wrote:
EJP1234 wrote:I have a lot of steez rods... This past season I had ton's of QC issues with them. I want to love them, but I just don't anymore, and especially at their cost. I think they have the intended actions nailed, everything else seems to be a toss up. My compile-x's don't have the qc issues, but the sensitivity just isn't there for me for the cost, not even close.
Mind sharing what qc issues you had, and on which particular rods?
Not at all..

On my 6'3"C the epoxy on the rod guides has turned bright white... I think it's from water intrusion but I don't know, however it really stands out. I know I can mail it back... call me lazy but I just haven't yet.

On my 6'7" the tip top guide glue let out and it went flying off down the line. Line didn't break so I recovered it, and I just glued it back on, however... come on.

I don't remember if it was the 7'C or not, they are put away on the rod racks in the basement right now, but one of the guide inserts popped out. I popped it back in, but I know it's just going to pop back out again.

I want to love them... shoot, thats why I own so many of them... I just don't think the cost is warranted for them though, I really think there is much more sensitive and higher quality rods out there.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:05 am

old thread, but though I'd post, those same 4 rods are still in the shop, along with the Zillion Flipping rod with the off kilter spine... I ran across them the other day while in there seeing if they had any megabass rods (which they didn't ) :(..

Of course, suffering from CRS I immediately thought ,wow Steez rods for $320? hmmm. But decided to come back and research, b/c something in the back of my head said don't do it. Now I recall why lol.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:31 am

The only steez rod i own is the frog version... and I have used it for jigs and I feel everything...
That being said the majority of the comments I saw on the line up was the frog rod was the best all others were lacking the sensitivy factor.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:40 am

This subject came up on the Enthusiast section a couple weeks ago.

Supposedly the Japan made Steez are different animals. The Thailand ones are waht we see in the USDM.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:00 am

I have the 7'-1" compile x, 6'-7" and 6-3" svf rods. As many others have said, the svf rods lack in the sensitivity department and are much better suited for single hook moving baits. I really like them for close range spinner and buzzbaits, flukes, and soft swimbaits. Ergonomically, the air beam reel seats are very comfortable to me. Wish both of these rods were a little more moderat or had a little more "tip" to load up and cast easier.

The compile x is also very comfortable to me and is better in the sensitivity department. Along the lines of Loomis IMX.

In general they are nice rods but probably not worth the original asking price.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:54 pm

my 6plus year old 6'3MH still looks and works as new. It's application is as a topwater and spinnerbait rod. Does an incredible job with Popr plugs and Sammy's.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:04 pm

DavidSA wrote:my 6plus year old 6'3MH still looks and works as new. It's application is as a topwater and spinnerbait rod. Does an incredible job with Popr plugs and Sammy's.

You are correct about the topwater application. The 6'3" is a fun little rod.

Trout Assassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Trout Assassin » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:32 am

Hate to mix the old with the new but does anyone who has fished the Daiwa Steez SVF AGS for bottom contact feel the same about a lack of sensitivity? The blank material appears to be same SVF but curious to know if the carbon fiber framed guides bring the dead back to life. Big money waste if all for not.o

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:54 am

E73Bass wrote:This subject came up on the Enthusiast section a couple weeks ago.

Supposedly the Japan made Steez are different animals. The Thailand ones are waht we see in the USDM.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15
Says the Compile X rods are made in Japan and the USDM market has those in two forms. Weird how out of the all the Compile X rods, we get the sorriest ones. I also think the Frog rod was a SVF blank and it's better than the Compile X rods we have. That rod has X Torque, not X graphite.

I haven't used the other variations but I do own both the USDM versions. I felt my 7'1" Cumulus blew my Compile X rods away.

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:43 am

Guess I'm in the minority here as far as sensitivity is concerned..
I've no problem feeling bottom composition and subtle bites with my Steez rods.
I've fished a friends Dobyns Champs and find them heavy and dead by comparison.. Haven't tried a Dx tho.
Maybe all those years fishing mono has helped or maybe I've got spidey sense. Either way, can't say the sensitivity is lacking in my hands. I wouldn't pay full price for them, but considering they can be had at 30 - %50 less than retail, at that price they're a good deal imo. Love the air beam seats too. Very comfortable. :D

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:05 am

PaBass75 wrote:Guess I'm in the minority here as far as sensitivity is concerned..
I've fished a friends Dobyns Champs and find them heavy and dead by comparison.. Haven't tried a Dx tho.
Maybe all those years fishing mono has helped or maybe I've got spidey sense. Either way, can't say the sensitivity is lacking in my hands. I wouldn't pay full price for them, but considering they can be had at 30 - %50 less than retail, at that price they're a good deal imo. Love the air beam seats too. Very comfortable. :D

i agree Pabass....sensitivity is not an absolute for everyone....what is sensitive to one person may be not sensitive to another...Kinda like hitting that "G spot."
I too have no issues with the Steez for sensitivity...are they a $500+ rod...probably not...$300+ easily. Definately better in sensitivity then my 1st Gen Zillions as far as I can tell! But nothing compares in sensitivity to my Fenwick Techna AV's.
I also think line has alot to do with sensitivity. I fished braid pretty exclusively 'cept Cranks in the mid 90's thru early 2000's...I finally went back to mono and fluoro. I can better differentiate between Rocks and Fish with what I use now. With Braid after going thru the "setting the hook" on everything phase...I became complacent and started missing true bites and started having wimpy hooksets cause I did not trust what I was feeling with Braid...structure or fish? With Mono/Fluoro...I know when its a fish.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:45 am

E73Bass wrote:
PaBass75 wrote:Guess I'm in the minority here as far as sensitivity is concerned..
.what is sensitive to one person may be not sensitive to another...Kinda like hitting that "G spot."
can u elaborate the "g spot" phenomenon? i don't quite understand the correlation :big grin:

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:08 am

I have 5 Steez rods, 2 compile X 7-1, a 7-0 MH a 6-7 MH and a 7-0 ML spin. I find them all to be extremely sensitive and always keep going back to them, no matter what other rods I try. The other day I took my ITO/Destroyer combo out to stretch it's legs fishing the same area that I had fished recently with both a compile X and the 7-0 MH Steez. It is an area in a local pond that I have fished a lot and know every rock, stick and irregularity by heart. This may be sacrilege to say, but the Steez rods feel more sensitive than the Megabass Destroyer to me. I was fishing a 1/8 once head with a 4 inch hula grub, a bait that doesn't exactly drag the bottom, as well as the same flourocarbon line so I know it wasn't the bait or line.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:21 am

Just checked out my 4 steez rods for place of <Mfg. Origin

1-JDM Hustler-STZ 701HMHXB-XTQ: Thailand
1-USDM -SVF Compile-X-STZ711HFBA : Japan
2-USDM -SVF Graphite -STZ701MHFBA: No markings

Looking to defiantely get a JDM Strike Flanker and possibly a JDM Harrier Finesse cast rod next year. Prices are pretty good right now with the stronger $ then the yen...thinking they may get better in 2nd qtr next year.

Montanaro
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Montanaro » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:39 am

I have 6'7" mh.

1. Very light...With a tdz I can cast it all day
2. Air beam is very comfortable imo.
3. I have qc issues too with guide epoxy and even a misaligned guide! I bought it used so no warranty.
4. Length and action is suited for single hook moving baits and that's what it is good at. I have noted that slow rolling a swimjig along bottom is mushier and more vague than my heavy 13 envy (braid on envy though).

I will need to put it through a couple more trips before making up my mind