Castaway Skeleton rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Castaway Skeleton rods

Post by Big Al » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:55 am

Does anyone use these rods? When Castaway started building rods I had a half dozen and I liked them. Now I'm thinking of buying a couple of the Skeleton series. I doubt there are many from here but if you do use them I'd like some comments on them please.

Thanks AL

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Castaway Skeleton rods

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Good luck. I attempted this twice. Not 1 response

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:32 pm

They seem to be fairly highly regarded over on TFF.

rcdemel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rcdemel » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:17 am

I have one of the early skeleton rods,a 7 foot med-hvy, and have used it for about three years now. Good build quality, relatively light weight, and very sturdy. It has handled everything from 1/2 oz. traps and spinnerbaits to worms and jigs.
I have probably purchased more than 20 Castaway rods since the 80s and still have most of them, although they no longer
see regular use. I have never had one break in all those years. The only real problem I have had recently is availability.
They are difficult to find in retail outlets and I dislike ordering sight unseen. I understand from the TFF forum that Castaway
is planning to rectify that this year and their rods should start showing up at a number of retailers.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:52 am

I just picked up the 6'10" Spinnerbait Special and a 7' Cranking rod. I will be fishing them pretty hard after ice out but that's a few months away. If I remember I will post my findings with each. So far the builds are good nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty average weights and not terribly tip heavy.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:18 am

Resurrecting this thread.

I used the Spinnerbait Special and the Crankin rod this last year. I have to say that they are good rods, especially the spinnerbait rods. Though they didn't get a ton of use like I thought. I found myself picking up my X4 rods for the same techniques. These two especially the Crankin rod didn't see much action. The did surprise me as when holding them I questioned the backbone but on the water they performed well with a fish on. I'm thinking of selling them because they are good rods but I don't need rods taking up space in the boat.

jkleino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkleino » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:53 am

I have used Castaways for over 10 years not. I never was dedicated to them but at one point or another there was always at least 4 in my boat. Build quality and weight for the price was always amazing to me. The Skeletons didn't really seem all that different to me vs my HG40's or other models but they are very nice sticks. Only issue I had was the FR76's reel seat didn't hold my 200E7 tight and I had to add some tape to keep if from shifting. The original Graphite series FR76 is still my all time favorite.