Phenix M1 dissapointment

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
stripersneed help
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Phenix M1 dissapointment

Post by stripersneed help » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:38 am

The rod is a Phenix M1 swimbait 8'0 Med/Hvy. First trip out the reel seat broke. The reel i had it paired with at the time was an Okuma Komodo 350. I know it didn't happen the night before when I put the reel onto the rod at the time I prepped all my gear. I only noticed it when I was loading gear back into my truck after fishing all day I saw the reel seat had split. My options as I understand them...
1) use phenix rod replacement service and pay $50 bucks for the service plus shipping and get a new rod.
2) look around for custom shops that will replace the phenix reel seat with a fuji or something else.
3) waterproof tape and see how long I can extend its serviceable lifespan.
whos got past experiences with phenix or other advice that might help me out?
Attachments
broken reel seat pic.jpg
broken reel seat pic.jpg (95.68 KiB) Viewed 4064 times

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Phenix M1 dissapointment

Post by darrin » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 am

You should contact Phenix. That kind of breakage looks like something the warranty would cover. From their web site, it states...

"Phenix Rods & Accessories ("Phenix Rods") warrants that its fishing rods and blanks are free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner. Subject to the conditions and limitations set forth below, Phenix Rods will, at its option, either repair or replace any part of its products that prove defective by reason of improper workmanship or materials."

I have never seen a break like that before.

vishus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vishus » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:41 am

Normally if you contact the manufacturer before you blast them, you will find they are more willing to work with you.

Phenix is great to deal with, call them!

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:56 am

vishus wrote:Normally if you contact the manufacturer before you blast them, you will find they are more willing to work with you.

Phenix is great to deal with, call them!
Did you read his post? It sure looks like he's asking questions and not saying anything derogatory towards Phenix.

stripersneed help
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by stripersneed help » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:47 am

I called phenix on friday when I got back home after that trip. I also sent them an email with the details and that picture of the break. They basically confirmed everything I read online concerning the rod replacement program. I also learned about phenix's upgrade program which I believe costs the difference in MSRP of the upgrade rod and the previously purchased rod. I like that i'll be able to upgrade to a rod that is built with a fuji reel seat instead of whats on the M1. Obviously I'm prepared to pay to send it back and possibly upgrade with phenix. I was just curious as to what others have done/experienced with a break similar to mine or in dealing with phenix.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:06 am

stripersneed help wrote:I called phenix on friday when I got back home after that trip. I also sent them an email with the details and that picture of the break. They basically confirmed everything I read online concerning the rod replacement program. I also learned about phenix's upgrade program which I believe costs the difference in MSRP of the upgrade rod and the previously purchased rod. I like that i'll be able to upgrade to a rod that is built with a fuji reel seat instead of whats on the M1. Obviously I'm prepared to pay to send it back and possibly upgrade with phenix. I was just curious as to what others have done/experienced with a break similar to mine or in dealing with phenix.
Try to get ahold of Vince Borges. He will get you lined out. I had an issue right out of the box with the locking nut on my Recon2. He had me send the rod back and sent me a replacement free of charge. I imagine since your seat broke the first trip out, he'd be willing to work with you to come to a positive conclusion.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 am

Hey sorry I just saw this post. Been busy at shows in Miami and now the Bassmasters Classic. But I sent you a private message.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:46 am

I have only delt with Phenix once and I'll give them two thumbs up. I mean I broke a hook keeper and called them to see if I can buy parts and I'll fix it myself. They spent the time to go look for broken rods, took it off, and sent it to me free of charge, free shipping too. I mean it didn't cost them much, but the fact that they took the time to help me out on such a little item that some company would just tell me to go deal with it myself. Just the tone of the gentlemen I talked to, he was more than willing to help and he wasn't only doing it because he had to.

Hope all works out well but I am sure they're willing to try.

stripersneed help
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by stripersneed help » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:01 am

Thank you gentlemen for the replys. Turns out it was 100% a known problem that a number of those M1 swimbait reel seats were defective. Two thumbs up for phenix for a great rod and great customer service.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Bass1980 wrote:I have only delt with Phenix once and I'll give them two thumbs up. I mean I broke a hook keeper and called them to see if I can buy parts and I'll fix it myself. They spent the time to go look for broken rods, took it off, and sent it to me free of charge, free shipping too. I mean it didn't cost them much, but the fact that they took the time to help me out on such a little item that some company would just tell me to go deal with it myself. Just the tone of the gentlemen I talked to, he was more than willing to help and he wasn't only doing it because he had to.

Hope all works out well but I am sure they're willing to try.
Bet it was Alex, the guy's all pro...took him a while adjust to my accent :D :D