Do you really need a Frog Rod for frogs?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Do you really need a Frog Rod for frogs?

Post by njbasscat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:46 am

A flipping stick with some tip works well for frogs. I like at least a 7' rod but 7'6" is better. No need to get a technique specific rod just for frogs.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Do you need a label to justify a stereotype? :P

Find the taper, power, length and overall construction you enjoy and put it to work. There are a multitude of different "frog" types, sizes, different areas to be fished, type line used, area to be covered, etc...that no one "frog labeled rod" is right for everyone.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:42 pm

frog fishing actually has a lot more variables than other baits.

What kind of vegatation/cover are you fishing?
Are you shaking/dragging them on dense mats? Sashaying them in open water? Short technical walks in between reeds & cat tails? Hopping across pads?

For me- the cover dictates what kind of rod to use and what kind of frog.
If I'm trying to get a lot of action/specific action from the frog- I want a rod with some good tip. If I'm fishing a lot of slop and don't need a lot of fancy action I'm wanting a more stout rod.

Not all frogs are created equal, just like not all frog rods are created equal.
A fast reel & braid are the norm. But if you want to increase your success at catching & landing fog fish, you need to match your frog & rod to the specific vegatation your fishing. Atleast that's what I've learned along the way.

Sure you can fish em on any ol' mh or heavy fast rod. But like anything, it's nice to have the right tool for the job ya know?

If you love fishing frogs and do it often- treat yourself. You deserve it :D

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:22 pm

ohg9530 wrote: My question is although there are several nice frog rods on the market, Steez SVF-XBD, G. Loomis TWFR854C, MB Black Jungle Frog Game Special F6-70XBJ to name a few, do they really perform any better than a good all purpose stout rod?
Technique specific rods are good ways to guide the novice into a rod that they need for a certain type of fishing.

But none of those rods are smart enough to know they are supposed to be frog rods. They're just fishing rods. That label they have is pretty irrelevant. If the length, action, and power are right for how you want to fish, then its the right rod for you. Regardless of whether its a labeled a frog rod or a Salmon rod.

Those that don't understand their fishing rods probably need those labels. Those that see the differences in rods and understand the values those differences bring go ahead and ignore those labels.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:58 am

Mattman wrote:
ohg9530 wrote: My question is although there are several nice frog rods on the market, Steez SVF-XBD, G. Loomis TWFR854C, MB Black Jungle Frog Game Special F6-70XBJ to name a few, do they really perform any better than a good all purpose stout rod?
Technique specific rods are good ways to guide the novice into a rod that they need for a certain type of fishing.

But none of those rods are smart enough to know they are supposed to be frog rods. They're just fishing rods. That label they have is pretty irrelevant. If the length, action, and power are right for how you want to fish, then its the right rod for you. Regardless of whether its a labeled a frog rod or a Salmon rod.

Those that don't understand their fishing rods probably need those labels. Those that see the differences in rods and understand the values those differences bring go ahead and ignore those labels.
Well said. =D>

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:39 am

Mattman wrote:

Thank you for such a well worded post that really tells a great point. I have argued with guys that would not use a rod labeled as say a spinnerbait rod as a light Texas rig rod even though i was of optimal length and had a MH action with the right tip to really excel at Texas rigs. their mindset is its a spinnerbait rod and nothing else. These days I just shake my head and smile, I have a ton of rods that get many uses and are so versatile its crazy.
If a guy is throwing a frog in lighter cover or open water and still using a flipping stick/stout rod he is missing out on so much that frog can do plus wearing himself out in the process. Take a good MH 7' rod and a good tip and you can be so much more versatile on skipping etc as well as more accurate casting etc. Dean Rojas is a noted frog guru and his signature frog rod is a 7; MH rod.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 am

Darkhorse wrote:
Mattman wrote:

Thank you for such a well worded post that really tells a great point. I have argued with guys that would not use a rod labeled as say a spinnerbait rod as a light Texas rig rod even though i was of optimal length and had a MH action with the right tip to really excel at Texas rigs. their mindset is its a spinnerbait rod and nothing else. These days I just shake my head and smile, I have a ton of rods that get many uses and are so versatile its crazy.
If a guy is throwing a frog in lighter cover or open water and still using a flipping stick/stout rod he is missing out on so much that frog can do plus wearing himself out in the process. Take a good MH 7' rod and a good tip and you can be so much more versatile on skipping etc as well as more accurate casting etc. Dean Rojas is a noted frog guru and his signature frog rod is a 7; MH rod.
good point

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:47 am

another thing to keep in mind you don't need to spend a several of hundred to get a good frog ,sensitivity is not an issue.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:46 pm

Mattman wrote:Those that don't understand their fishing rods probably need those labels. Those that see the differences in rods and understand the values those differences bring go ahead and ignore those labels.
Those that understand...go custom! 8-)

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:59 pm

i haven't tried the custom route (yet) as dragon proposed, however, i've used all of the following rods for frogs (in the delta):

7'1" compile-x steez
8' compile-s steez
loomis glx 844 (first frog fish ever was on this)
phenix umbx-700xh
lami 7'6" - i forgot the model - no longer have it
megabass orochi f6-72x4 destruction

i'm pretty much just using the destruction now for frogs.

ohg9530
Angler
Angler

Post by ohg9530 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 am

Well I just ordered my frog rod...I'm getting the NRX 854C JWR. It meets my criteria for length, power, and tip. Interesting to me at last is that G Loomis actually makes a Frog Rod with essentially the same specs...the TWFR854C. As was suggested by many here, it is all about the specs and the individual needs. I know the NRX is more cost and you certainly don't need the sensitivity for frogg'n but what the hell, it's a multi-purpose rod after all.

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:10 am

hotdogin wrote:I am actually curious as to why frog rods are specifically rated to braided line?
My thoughts are that almost all fisherman are using braid or should be for frogging. Its not a mono or floro technique. Its a slop & weed enviroment where braid works best.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:47 pm

dhottle wrote:
hotdogin wrote:I am actually curious as to why frog rods are specifically rated to braided line?
My thoughts are that almost all fisherman are using braid or should be for frogging. Its not a mono or floro technique. Its a slop & weed enviroment where braid works best.
Unless walking in open water...

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Whichever rod you pick, first and foremost it has to be able to cast the frog you're fishing.
Second, it needs to be able to drive those big frog hooks into the fish's mouth.
So a rod with a softer tip for casting, and plenty of back bone for hook setting, is the setup to look for.
If you are fishing slop, where you need to turn the fish immediately and ski it across the top of the mat, then a true frog rod, a heavy with a moderate tip and good backbone is really important. I fished frogs for years with a med heavy rod, and had to go into the salad to get fish. I lost a lot of fish because they had time to get off. It's hard to keep good pressure when you have a ton of grass on the line, too, and can't reel it in. You really need to start cranking on them the minute you set the hook, or they will bury up in the grass.
For open water a med heavy with a softer action will make working a frog a lot easier and less tiring, and you can still get a good hookset, especially with braid or heavy mono.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 am

froteur wrote:i haven't tried the custom route (yet) as dragon proposed, however, i've used all of the following rods for frogs (in the delta):

7'1" compile-x steez
8' compile-s steez
loomis glx 844 (first frog fish ever was on this)
phenix umbx-700xh
lami 7'6" - i forgot the model - no longer have it
megabass orochi f6-72x4 destruction

i'm pretty much just using the destruction now for frogs.
X2.
Destruction is my frog rod of choice as well. The tip is perfect & plenty of backbone to haul out big ones covered in slop.