Do you really need a Frog Rod for frogs?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Do you really need a Frog Rod for frogs?

Post by LgMouthGambler » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:08 am

Im more comfortable with a rod that is 7' or less. My choice? Dobyns Savvy705C. Great backbone, accurate casting, and great overall feel(for me). Most people go with the 7'3-7'6 rods. Do you really need a longer rod? No, but to some its more comfortable to fish. You will take up a little more line on the sweep, but if you can reel in line smoothly while keeping enough tension to feel the hold on the frog, like I do, then you are good. Its all in what you "feel" is good for you. But a heavier action rod does help.

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:04 am

Dean Rojas is a noted frog guru and his signature frog rod is a 7; MH rod.[/quote]

JFWIW - Dean rarely fishes thick slop with a frog. The hookup ratio is not good enough and you lose to many fish getting them back to the boat. He mainly uses his frog on docks and overhangs. This is per his own words in a video I watched quite awhile back. I think if he was a mat frog fisherman, he would be sporting a bigger stick.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 pm

STEEZMAN2 wrote:Dean Rojas is a noted frog guru and his signature frog rod is a 7; MH rod.
JFWIW - Dean rarely fishes thick slop with a frog. The hookup ratio is not good enough and you lose to many fish getting them back to the boat. He mainly uses his frog on docks and overhangs. This is per his own words in a video I watched quite awhile back. I think if he was a mat frog fisherman, he would be sporting a bigger stick.[/quote]

Back to my original point and that is choose rod that matches cover. Kinda silly to throw a broomstick frog rod in open water etc. A frog is way more versatile than given credit for. Buy a good frog with good hooks and hookups are not an issue. The Evergreen Kicker is a great example. Easy to walk, great hookup ratio and a killer single hook design eliminates the need for a broomstick in non matted type areas. Also I don't think you lose a ton of fish with a MH in non heavy stuff either.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Darkhorse wrote:
STEEZMAN2 wrote:Dean Rojas is a noted frog guru and his signature frog rod is a 7; MH rod.
JFWIW - Dean rarely fishes thick slop with a frog. The hookup ratio is not good enough and you lose to many fish getting them back to the boat. He mainly uses his frog on docks and overhangs. This is per his own words in a video I watched quite awhile back. I think if he was a mat frog fisherman, he would be sporting a bigger stick.

Back to my original point and that is choose rod that matches cover. Kinda silly to throw a broomstick frog rod in open water etc. A frog is way more versatile than given credit for. Buy a good frog with good hooks and hookups are not an issue. The Evergreen Kicker is a great example. Easy to walk, great hookup ratio and a killer single hook design eliminates the need for a broomstick in non matted type areas. Also I don't think you lose a ton of fish with a MH in non heavy stuff either.[/quote]

A med. heavy with a fast or ex. fast tip lets you cast and work a frog well in open water, and still get a good hookset.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:09 am

Darkhorse wrote:
Back to my original point and that is choose rod that matches cover.
Exactly.

That is what I tried to say on the first page.

added in edit: fixed quote
Last edited by civicrr on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:40 am

civicrr wrote:
mark poulson wrote:
Back to my original point and that is choose rod that matches cover.
Exactly.

That is what I tried to say on the first page.
That's Darkhorse's line.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:55 pm

While I 100% agree that it isn't absolutely necessary in open water I still prefer to use my "frog" rod because I've just gotten so used to it. I know exactly how hard I need to cast for any type or distance of cast I'm making, doesn't matter if it's a skip, over head, or side arm cast. I know I'm working the bait exactly the way I want just by the feel. I know how the rod is going to react in any situation. I never feel that I'd be better off with two or three different "frog" rods for different cover or casting styles.

I'm not trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong" here guys, not at all. I'm simply saying that for me getting to know a rod for this particular technique is the way to go and has helped me become a much more successful frog fisherman. This may or may not be the case for the OP.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:49 pm

John Puckett wrote:While I 100% agree that it isn't absolutely necessary in open water I still prefer to use my "frog" rod because I've just gotten so used to it. I know exactly how hard I need to cast for any type or distance of cast I'm making, doesn't matter if it's a skip, over head, or side arm cast. I know I'm working the bait exactly the way I want just by the feel. I know how the rod is going to react in any situation. I never feel that I'd be better off with two or three different "frog" rods for different cover or casting styles.

I'm not trying to say "I'm right and you're wrong" here guys, not at all. I'm simply saying that for me getting to know a rod for this particular technique is the way to go and has helped me become a much more successful frog fisherman. This may or may not be the case for the OP.
i too, generally use one rod for open water and for the slop. the only time i don't do that is when it's a "total" frog day, when that's all i'm fishing. on those days i'll have two or three frogs tied on in different colors and different manufacturers. but that doesn't happen very often.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:51 pm

JFWIW - Dean rarely fishes thick slop with a frog. The hookup ratio is not good enough and you lose to many fish getting them back to the boat. He mainly uses his frog on docks and overhangs. This is per his own words in a video I watched quite awhile back. I think if he was a mat frog fisherman, he would be sporting a bigger stick.[/quote]

He needs some better frogs and maybe he will start to hook-up on the heavy cover…I am opposite and not anything like Rojas but thats interesting to hear that…I fish frogs in the sparse cover also but maybe the heavy cover scares him a little :P You need the Bleedin' Frog with the custom Owner hook…bigger and badder than all the little cute hooks on frogs these days….The Ratio will turn into 19 success out of every 20hits…I miss once in a while but with the proper frog the slop will be your friend…Fish them slow, let the rattle bring them to the top.

MTBF