jerkbait rod under $150

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

jerkbait rod under $150

Post by jonahsdad » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:24 pm

I am looking to buy a rod exclusively for jerkbaits, mainly pointer 78 & 100, and vision 110. Any suggestions? I want to stay under $150 but I would consider up to $200. Thanks!

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: jerkbait rod under $150

Post by smalljaw » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Jerkbait rods are tough to just recommend because there are 2 distinct jerkbait users and both are very different from each other so knowing what kind of action and length will help or how you fish a jerkbait will also help. On one hand you have what I call "sweepers", these are anglers that use longer and softer rods for jerkbaits, these guys use a sideways sweep of the rod to impart action, the longer crankbait style rods offer longer casts and better landing percentages as they have more flex but the action of the bait is noticeably less erratic and more on the subtle side. On the other hand you have anglers who use a more traditional method of sharp downward rips or jerks, anglers that use this method, myself included, tend to favor shorter, faster action rods, you get less casting distance and need to rely on drag a little more to prevent lost fish that are barely hooked but you can impart any action easier and get more strikes due to being able to impart a more erratic action when fish have higher activity levels and it is all theory of course but you need to figure out which you are. The question comes down to this, are you a longer, crankbait style of rod for jerkbaits? Or do you favor the shorter, faster actions? Answer that and you'll get a lot of suggestions in that price range.

kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kegger37 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:53 pm

My first thought is 13 omen either the 6''7" MH or the 6'10" M. You could look at Kistler KLX for around $170 and Powell max 683C for the same price. These would be good fast action rods for more erratic action. I personally use an eight year old BPS Johnny Morris signature series that's 6'6" and MH with a Curado 200E7 and 10lb Sufix mono. I do have a sweeping jerkbait/ crank bait rod that's a Powell endurance 726 with a chronarch Ci4+ and 12 lb tatsu. It depends on how your fishing, if I'm fishing deeper diving jerk baits or sweeping them early in the spring then it's the Powell, but if their active I use the shorterrod for better action.

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:43 am

smalljaw wrote:Jerkbait rods are tough to just recommend because there are 2 distinct jerkbait users and both are very different from each other so knowing what kind of action and length will help or how you fish a jerkbait will also help. On one hand you have what I call "sweepers", these are anglers that use longer and softer rods for jerkbaits, these guys use a sideways sweep of the rod to impart action, the longer crankbait style rods offer longer casts and better landing percentages as they have more flex but the action of the bait is noticeably less erratic and more on the subtle side. On the other hand you have anglers who use a more traditional method of sharp downward rips or jerks, anglers that use this method, myself included, tend to favor shorter, faster action rods, you get less casting distance and need to rely on drag a little more to prevent lost fish that are barely hooked but you can impart any action easier and get more strikes due to being able to impart a more erratic action when fish have higher activity levels and it is all theory of course but you need to figure out which you are. The question comes down to this, are you a longer, crankbait style of rod for jerkbaits? Or do you favor the shorter, faster actions? Answer that and you'll get a lot of suggestions in that price range.
I tend to use the sharp downward jerks.

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks for the input. I want to find a dealer that carries the 13 rods. Also read the review on the Powell, sounds like a great rod! Two I am also considering is the Veracity by Abu Garcia and the Castaway Skeleton. Any more info or suggestions? No comments about Dobyns yet.

kegger37
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kegger37 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:50 pm

jonahsdad wrote:Thanks for the input. I want to find a dealer that carries the 13 rods. Also read the review on the Powell, sounds like a great rod! Two I am also considering is the Veracity by Abu Garcia and the Castaway Skeleton. Any more info or suggestions? No comments about Dobyns yet.
I have no experience with the Abu veracity, just veritas, or castaway, but have used dobyns. I think most would agree that if you're getting a dobyns you need do get the champion series or higher. Don't waste your time on the savvy series because the 13 would be a better buy.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:04 pm

i use a phenix recon 744 for jerkbaits. i also tend to use sharp (but more sideways) jerks. i tend to like fast, graphite rods for jerkbaits.

my buddy uses a recon 714 cuz he likes a little shorter rod (though he's taller than i am. hell, almost everyone is taller than me since i'm 5'2") :big grin: :big grin:

Tennanah
Angler
Angler

Post by Tennanah » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:58 am

I really like my Rapasody "Hot Rod" "Grim Ripper":

6' 8" 4.3 oz. M/MF 10 lb. - 17 lb. 1/4 oz. - 5/8 oz.

Rapsody is located in New York State and sells direct. The Hot Rod series is their mid-level offering. $99 plus shipping, and tax if you live in New York.

r61
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by r61 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:45 pm

Look into the fenwick aetos.....excellent price, looks are unbelievable and they are good performers.

I use a 66m spinning for jerkbaits, don't have a ton of time with it, but I know it's exactly what I yearned for.

Another good option is croix avid 6'8 mxf....I don't like xf for a jerkbait rod usually, but for heavier baits like the pointers you speak of I love the rod

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:01 pm

loving my new tatula 6'10 MH F rod for spinnerbaits and jerkbaits. plenty of backbone. Extremely well balanced and lightweight with plenty of tip action. Sensitivity isn't paramount with moving baits but this rod has plenty of that as well.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 am

BPS has a med. lite cranking rod that's under $80, and works really well for jerk and pause, and for ripping.
I have a couple of the 7' rods, and they are great for top waters, small jerk baits, and I can even worm with them.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-C ... /10204844/

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:12 am

smalljaw wrote:Jerkbait rods are tough to just recommend because there are 2 distinct jerkbait users and both are very different from each other so knowing what kind of action and length will help or how you fish a jerkbait will also help. On one hand you have what I call "sweepers", these are anglers that use longer and softer rods for jerkbaits, these guys use a sideways sweep of the rod to impart action, the longer crankbait style rods offer longer casts and better landing percentages as they have more flex but the action of the bait is noticeably less erratic and more on the subtle side. On the other hand you have anglers who use a more traditional method of sharp downward rips or jerks, anglers that use this method, myself included, tend to favor shorter, faster action rods, you get less casting distance and need to rely on drag a little more to prevent lost fish that are barely hooked but you can impart any action easier and get more strikes due to being able to impart a more erratic action when fish have higher activity levels and it is all theory of course but you need to figure out which you are. The question comes down to this, are you a longer, crankbait style of rod for jerkbaits? Or do you favor the shorter, faster actions? Answer that and you'll get a lot of suggestions in that price range.
This is pretty spot on for me. I just picked up a omen 6'7" for this job.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:13 am

I have a G.Loomis Jerkbait rod, the JBR752C and it was my go to rod and then I got a Fenwick Elite Tech smallmouth 6'10"MH-MF casting rod and it is my new weapon of choice for 2 years now. it is rated 3/8oz to 1oz but if it isn't windy it will handle smaller 1/4oz baits pretty good but if I know I'm going to throw a lot of smaller 78 size baits then I use the Loomis. A similar rod in that range would be the Fenwick Smallmouth 6'3" M-MF casting rod, it is moderate fast but actually very similar action to my 752C, maybe a tiny bit more flex but fast enough to work the bait without having the slow tip recovery of a crankbait rod and it is right in your price range.

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:38 am

Thanks for all the input! Unfortunately for me, most of these rods are not within an hour's drive for me to at least handle. I can get Cashion, some Daiwa (not sure if anyone close has the Tatula yet), Abu Veritas, and maybe a Falcon BuCu. I have to drive an hour to see St. Croix, Tatulas, etc.
Keep up the good info! I will have to say that I am leaning towards 13 Fishing, St. Croix (Rage and Mojo), Tatula, and Powell Max. I do have a Powell fishing rod for jigs/ worm fishing, but the 13 rods are at an incredible price.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:36 am

1st off, let me clearly state i'm not much of a jerkbait user. i have a 6'9 mh daiwa ballistic i got a few years ago in a bps return deal. I originally got the rod (and iirc daiwa labeled it as such) for a worm/plastics rod. after using the rod a few times, i realized i didn't really care much for it for that, it's just a tad bit soft. for some reason, i decided to tie a spinnerbait on it and it was just about perfect!! the rod has a fast tip, but it bends deep like a crank rod when a fish is on. i was just thinking yesterday that this rod would also be very good for topwaters and jerkbaits, where you want a fast tip for action, but want the flex for trebles.

the rods have been discontinued, but i'm sure they're still out there somewhere, and probably fairly cheap to boot.