Help choosing Crankbait / Topwater Rod 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Help choosing Crankbait / Topwater Rod 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz

Post by Loose Nukes » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:05 pm

Hi I'm new here and could really use some help. I'm looking for a rod that can fish treble hooks well for both top water and crank bait usage. It's main usage will be for cranks so I do want it to be a crank bait specific rod with parabolic action a graphite and glass blend. I fish out of a kayak so I'm trying to make this dual usage work and I'm looking for something with a good range in the 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz range. It must be able to throw lighter cranks and top water lures.

I have a credit for tackle warehouse so I was hoping to get something off of their site. I initially had my eyes set on a crucial crank bait rod in 7'2" medium. but the 3/8 oz rating has me worried. Does anyone have experience with this rod? Is the recommended lure weight accurate?

What are some other options and recommendations from all you fine people?

Requirements:
Usage: Topwater and Crank
Lure Weight: 1/4oz to 3/4 oz (Can be outside of this but needs to cover lighter baits)
Budget: Max $200

Going to fish with 12lb YZ Hybrid.

Thanks.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Help choosing Crankbait / Topwater Rod 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Powell has exactly what you want in the Max series, a 7' medium rated 1/4oz to 3/4oz, while rod ratings are only a guide I find most of them pretty close, but glass and composite rods in general seem to be able to handle a little more than the ratings suggest but rods rated to 3/8oz are usually good for up to 5/8oz but that is about the extent. Welcome to the board!!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:08 am

Check out the Crucial 6'8 MH/F topwater rod. A little faster action than a true crank rod but still has plenty of flex with the TC4 composite blank. Great jerkbait rod as well.

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:45 am

Nice I didn't even think to look at the top water crucial line. Thanks for these suggestions. Does anyone have experience with Tatulas. I know they aren't a composite blend but they have some attractive offerings that kind of fit the all around specs I've been looking for. Does anyone have experience with:

Daiwa Tatula Casting Rod 7'1" Med Hvy
Taper Line Wt. Lure Wt. Guides
Regular 10-20lb 1/4-1oz 8+Tip

Seems like it could make a good all around option as well. wonder if anyone has experience throwing lighter lures on one.

finebassfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finebassfisher » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am

Powell 702. Or 703 if that's more your style. And if your into glass rods the 703 glass cb would be a great choice as well

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:35 am

finebassfisher wrote:Powell 702. Or 703 if that's more your style. And if your into glass rods the 703 glass cb would be a great choice as well
Not really interested in an all glass rod. I do like the Powells they look good but I'm not to keep on the Xtra Fast taper for crank bait purposes. Although I've never actually used the rod. I know a lot of people like them.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Id recommend a st croix mojo bass 7'mh moderate. Iv tried hard to replace it in my arsenal(currently building a phenix x-10 in yet another attempt) Has a great action to keep fish pinned on trebles, casts kvd 1.5s and dt6's extremely well. Enough backbone to rip rattle traps in light grass, even used it with 6xds(lil under powered for these) and there very durable.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Also walk spooks/sammys like a champ

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 pm

Check out the 7' med. lite rod here. It's great for both topwaters and small cranks.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-C ... /10204844/

PancakeFace22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PancakeFace22 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:34 am

Haven't actually tried this model, but the Phenix X9 would probably be great for what you plan to do. My brother has an X12 that I have tried, and it is the best cranking rod I've ever used. I just bought an X10 in the classifieds for myself.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Phenix_X ... -PCBC.html

Tackle Warehouse also has some rep sample G.Loomis cranking rods in the sale section right now for around $200 that you might want to check out too.

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 am

That Phenix is a good looking stick application wise seems to really fit the bill. Thanks. Odd how it's getting harder for me to choose a good stick after posting this than before.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:43 am

Loose Nukes wrote:That Phenix is a good looking stick application wise seems to really fit the bill. Thanks. Odd how it's getting harder for me to choose a good stick after posting this than before.
I would pick the rod that throws and works the lightest bait you use, and then learn how to use it for the other baits.
I don't think you'll every find a rod that works well for both light walking baits and DD22's, so you may have to give up on one or the other.

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:58 am

mark poulson wrote:
Loose Nukes wrote:That Phenix is a good looking stick application wise seems to really fit the bill. Thanks. Odd how it's getting harder for me to choose a good stick after posting this than before.
I would pick the rod that throws and works the lightest bait you use, and then learn how to use it for the other baits.
I don't think you'll every find a rod that works well for both light walking baits and DD22's, so you may have to give up on one or the other.
I agree and I will have a heavier powered rod that while not completely ideal (Fast taper, braid with leader) can handle deep trolling and deep diving situations. A lot of times I troll deep divers so I have a lot of line out so that might work OK with braid. I will have two spinning outfits this year which is new for me. I used to use one for lighter general purpose cranks and top water due to ease of cast ability. This year I will be switching those outfits to dedicated finesse fishing and fluorocarbon setups so I won't have that safety net at least for top water applications. Honestly as an angler I feel like I have more success with the lighter tackle and I've never had anything that is really proper for cranking. So right now I'm really leaning toward the Dobyns Championship Series 704 CB Glass. Now it's a matter of convincing myself that I don't care that it's ugly... I do care though more than I should.I know that fishing isn't about winning a beauty contest.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:02 am

Any rod that's bent over with a good fish on it is beautiful! :lol: :lol: :lol: