Crainkbait/Topwater Rod Poll

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.

Which rod do you pick for all around, light-med crankbait, jerkbait, topwater? (treble hooks)

Daiwa Tatula Medium 7' (Regular taper)
7%
Shimano Crucial Crankbait Rod 7' Medium
20%
Dobyns Champ Crank 7' Medium
70%
Duckett Micro Split Grip Cranking Rod 7'
No votes
Duckett Ghost Cranking Rod 7' Medium
3%

Total votes: 30

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Crainkbait/Topwater Rod Poll

Post by Loose Nukes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:31 am

Most of my cranks average out to about 3/8 oz. Looking for a nice all arounder which can absolutely launch the lighter stuff as well as handle the occasional heavier lure or rat trap. I do have another post going but thought maybe the poll might spur a little more activity. Thanks.

Jrob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Crainkbait/Topwater Rod Poll

Post by Jrob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:38 pm

I have the Duckett Ghost and really like it so far. I've used squarebills and lipless cranks so far with success. Great rod for the money so far.

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Jrob wrote:I have the Duckett Ghost and really like it so far. I've used squarebills and lipless cranks so far with success. Great rod for the money so far.
Which size did you get? Can you toss those super light guys on it? Duckett doesn't provide any lure weights so I'm interested.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:57 pm

i have used the crucial and the dobyns 704 cb and prefer the dobyns for the lighter cranks it shines with 3/8 oz cranks and topwaters. I have also used it to throw vision 110s which are 1/2 oz and it handles them fine as well. Makes a good rico rod as well even with the the 1/4 ricos.

i like the crucial too but it is more parabolic on the cast it seemed i got more distance with the dobyns rod.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:43 pm

None of the above. Kistler KLX 7 foot medium mod fast. If I had to choose from the list I'd get the Tat

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:13 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:None of the above. Kistler KLX 7 foot medium mod fast. If I had to choose from the list I'd get the Tat
Thanks, was hoping to get off of tackle warehouse but looks like that is missing from their line up offerings.

I have to say and I know this might not be popularly received. I love the performance and reviews of the dobyns it's obviously a stand out rod but the styling on that stick is not my favorite. As a former graphic designer there is something about that "Championship Series" typeface that makes me die a little inside. I know, I know. Function over form. But that typeface is Windows 98, MS Office 98, Generic please wash your hands above the sink in a fast food restaurant kind of ugly. I think if that rod looked better I would have pulled the trigger on it already. I know I'm so shallow.

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 am

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'd honestly have to say two, maybe even three different rods. I like a fast tip for jerk baits and topwater, but a moderate tip for cranks, both lipless and billed.

Mnbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mnbasser » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:18 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:None of the above. Kistler KLX 7 foot medium mod fast. If I had to choose from the list I'd get the Tat
X2

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:37 am

Honestly, if you want a stellar rod that will handle all those techniques and fishes above its price point, look at the 6'10 MH mod fast Fenwick elite tech small mouth rod. The blank is honestly the most diverse I have found, and it has a good guide train. The handle can be a bit tricky though.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 pm

The dobyns 704cb is THE rod to get for 1/4 - 1/2oz. The 705cb if you wanna throw a little heavier or deep divers.
The only other rods I'd choose over it are $400+(megabass, maybe steez, other jdm, etc).
(Maybe one of the megabass xx rods, folks seem to love em, but I don't have any experience with em).

Don't fool with a split grip cranking rod man. Its just plain wrong :lol:

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:20 pm

spookybaits wrote:The dobyns 704cb is THE rod to get for 1/4 - 1/2oz. The 705cb if you wanna throw a little heavier or deep divers.
The only other rods I'd choose over it are $400+(megabass, maybe steez, other jdm, etc).
(Maybe one of the megabass xx rods, folks seem to love em, but I don't have any experience with em).

Don't fool with a split grip cranking rod man. Its just plain wrong :lol:
Ok so I'm set on the Dobyns, Now I need to make the choice between the 704cb and the 705cb. I was totally set on the 704cb but then I called dobyns and the rep told me that the the 705 in the glass version would be still be able to throw 1/4 oz scatter raps because of the flex and would be a better all around rod. Should I just flip a coin?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:55 pm

Megabass XX Flat Side SPecial

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:48 pm

Loose Nukes wrote:
Ok so I'm set on the Dobyns, Now I need to make the choice between the 704cb and the 705cb. I was totally set on the 704cb but then I called dobyns and the rep told me that the the 705 in the glass version would be still be able to throw 1/4 oz scatter raps because of the flex and would be a better all around rod. Should I just flip a coin?
Really depends on the weights you'll be throwing and if the cranks/topwater are shallow, mid-depth, etc. Everyone has their own preferences on how they want the rod to feel casting & working the baits. Me, I use the 704CB for my 'light' cranks and topwaters. Although I'm experimenting with a 635C right now, I usually use it for ripbaits too. Lures weight 1/4oz - 3/8oz most of the time. A few get up into the 1/2oz range - shallow cranks and ripbaits. Lightest lipless I fish is 1/2oz - I prefer to use a 705CB or Champion 733.

On the 705CB and 705CB Glass, I prefer to stay with 3/8oz as the lowest weight. I just like how the rod(s) loads on the cast with that weight better. I feel I have a better sense of what the lure is doing which results in more accuracy and control when casting.

Been a while since I've fished a 705CBMF Glass. While I own & fish the 704CB, 705CB & 705CB Glass, I sold my 705CBMF Glass rods. The very moderate action just isn't what I like in a rod. That said, the 705CBMF Glass does cast the 1/4oz weight lures better than the other two 705 cranking rods.

Hope that helps.

Loose Nukes
Angler
Angler

Post by Loose Nukes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

civicrr wrote:
Loose Nukes wrote:
Really depends on the weights you'll be throwing and if the cranks/topwater are shallow, mid-depth, etc. Everyone has their own preferences on how they want the rod to feel casting & working the baits. Me, I use the 704CB for my 'light' cranks and topwaters. Although I'm experimenting with a 635C right now, I usually use it for ripbaits too. Lures weight 1/4oz - 3/8oz most of the time. A few get up into the 1/2oz range - shallow cranks and ripbaits. Lightest lipless I fish is 1/2oz - I prefer to use a 705CB or Champion 733.

On the 705CB and 705CB Glass, I prefer to stay with 3/8oz as the lowest weight. I just like how the rod(s) loads on the cast with that weight better. I feel I have a better sense of what the lure is doing which results in more accuracy and control when casting.

Been a while since I've fished a 705CBMF Glass. While I own & fish the 704CB, 705CB & 705CB Glass, I sold my 705CBMF Glass rods. The very moderate action just isn't what I like in a rod. That said, the 705CBMF Glass does cast the 1/4oz weight lures better than the other two 705 cranking rods.

Hope that helps.
I went ahead and ordered the 705CB Glass just now. Being that I'm fishing from a kayak I won't have the benefit of fishing multiple crank bait specific rods at the moment. I will however try this rod and hope that it fits my needs. My crankbait box is almost split down the middle. half my cranks are slightly below 3/8th oz and the other half are above.

Of course I need this rod to be versatile and after going back and forth on the issue I thought that a little more power might be more important. especially since I like trolling deeper lures while I paddle. I figure I can slowly gear my collection of cranks to fit the strengths of the rod which is varied enough that I shouldn't miss out on much.

I called dobyns earlier and believe I reached a family member. I explained my situation and he recommended the 705 CB Glass. Ok now I guess wait for the ice to melt and see if I made the right choice!!! Thanks for helping everyone.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:50 pm

The 705cb glass is very versatile. I even used mine for small swimbaits at one point. And you can overload that rod a little if you need to go heavier. You'll like it for sure.