Why ACS on new IMX?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Why ACS on new IMX?

Post by lape0019 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:20 am

The GL2 was also made with an ACS reel seat and it seems to sell quite well. I had a GL2 that I got rid off because I didn't like the blank. I had absolutely no complaints about the reel seat and I used it for my Crankbait/Jerkbait rod.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:48 pm

The manner in which I cup my reels, I find the ACS to be extremely uncomfortable.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:26 am

can't staaaaand acs

surf n turf
Angler
Angler

Post by surf n turf » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:00 am

I avoid every rod with an ACS reel seat like the plague! Had a Legend Elite that I just loved but I could not get over how uncomfortable the ACS reel seat was so I sold it.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:05 am

They don't bother me at all.

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:22 am

Isn't the short answer because someone believes the rods will sell better with the ACS vs. other seats? :lol:

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:23 am

I too hate the ACS. Hurts my fingers after 20 minutes of use. I don't think it was an ACS reel seat, but I recently "slimmed" down a reel seat on one of my rods that was too bulky for me. I took a metal file and just went to town, and after a few minutes and some elbow grease, the reel seat felt like a "blank through" style reel seat. After some sanding, it was actually very comfortable. Not saying I would recommend this, but it may be worth a try if anyone is deadset on getting an IMX. :lol:

Big Al
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Big Al » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:50 am

So I was at KTP in Maine this AM and a former Elite angler was there, Chris (Blyler?). He had the new IMX rods there and to be honest the ACS reel seat wasn't that bad. I remember when Quantum put them on their PT rods and I did not like them. I think they're structured a bit different now. A bit bigger finger placement. Also handled a couple of the Exprides and Adrena rods. I actually made a few casts with them and they are well balanced. Nice to see all the new stuff!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:43 am

maybe they've changed since the last rod i had with an acs, which was a vendetta i think.

i emailed irod last week about the air series rod. in the email i mentioned i wasn't an acs fan and preferred the ecs. he said he may look into using a different reel seat. that could've just been a passing thought for him, who knows.

Wachtel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Wachtel » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:24 pm

I was set on getting a couple of the new IMX but the ASC is a deal breaker for me too.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:16 pm

dragon1 wrote:ACS is also on some of the most sought after, highest priced JDM limited edition rods.

Evergreen seems to like them. ;)
With newer Kaleido Inspirae rods the have changed over to ECS. Just an FYI in case the seats were holding you or anyone else back. :whistle:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:46 am

Farnorth wrote:
dragon1 wrote:ACS is also on some of the most sought after, highest priced JDM limited edition rods.

Evergreen seems to like them. ;)
With newer Kaleido Inspirae rods the have changed over to ECS. Just an FYI in case the seats were holding you or anyone else back. :whistle:
Yeah...it has been happening for a while as the JDM rods are gaining worldwide popularity (apparently there are "fatter/bigger" fingered folks around the world vs Japan, sumo wrestlers aside, eh?). For me, I fish nearly 100% custom, but I am lucky enough that ACS, ECS, or custom cut seats won't keep me from using the rod effectively. I adjust my palming of the reel and handle.