Megabass Orochi XX do it all or most?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass Orochi XX do it all or most?

Post by MediumHeavy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:59 am

Just curious to know which casting rod in the Orochi XX lineup might be the most versatile? I know there's the "Tour Versatile" but I wanted to get some consensus about the other rods as well. The TT review of the Spinnerbait model sounds pretty good, and I've seen other reviews of some models where folks say the "regular" taper acts more like a fast. Mostly, I'd be using 20-30lb braid and fishing 1/4oz to 3/4oz texas rigs, shallow cranks and spinnerbaits.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi XX do it all or most?

Post by thelatrobe33 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:51 am

I'd pick the Extreme Mission Type F. I can't really say enough good things about it. I'm using it for paddletails and bladed jigs, but I could see using it for a variety of other techniques. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for senkos, t-rigs or jigs. It'd also be fine for wake baits, spinnerbaits & crankbaits. I don't really fish any rods 7' or under, so that rules out most of the other XX rods.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:09 am

i have the xx spinnerbait special, and the xx extreme mission type f. I have found those two rods to be very versatile. The spinnerbait special has surprised me i have thrown spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, small jigs and t rigs, senkos , and some small swimbaits like the swing impacts. The rod handled them all very well i have to say. i own other rods i use for these same techniques but if i had to do it in a pinch or had a few rods on deck this one could handle a multitude of baits. i have even found it good on jerkbaits its just a tad fast though ive noticed i have caught a bunch of fish already on it with jerkbaits but i have lost a few as well due to the action. it is great from 5/16 -1/2 oz baits for sure. you feel very connected with your spinnerbaits and chatterbaits using this rod.

the emtf is another great rod as well i used to be a dobyns guy and loved my dx 744 for versatility but i have to say i like the emtf better in the end, especially the taper on the rod. it has a fast taper but you can still throw cranks with it if you had to. I have found this rod to be a great 3/8 oz -3/4 oz lure rod especially for jigs, tx rigs in deeper water. I mainly throw the swing impacts on it now on a 3/8 oz jig head and it is one of my favorite rods i have used for those. This rod makes a good senko rod as well especially for casting them long distances. Oh yeah it is awesome for swim jigs also and spinnerbaits/ chatterbaits when you are not target casting.

You cant go wrong with these two rods they really are nice sticks that can cover a lot of different fishing techniques if it had to be put up to the task.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 am

100% agree with Revofisher's assessment of the EMTF. Spot on with techniques and range of weights the rod handles.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:09 am

Revofisher wrote:the emtf is another great rod as well i used to be a dobyns guy and loved my dx 744 for versatility but i have to say i like the emtf better in the end, especially the taper on the rod.
Its the reason I got rid of my 744. Awesome rod.

capt1fish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by capt1fish » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:22 am

Revofisher wrote:i have the xx spinnerbait special, and the xx extreme mission type f. I have found those two rods to be very versatile. The spinnerbait special has surprised me i have thrown spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, small jigs and t rigs, senkos , and some small swimbaits like the swing impacts. The rod handled them all very well i have to say. i own other rods i use for these same techniques but if i had to do it in a pinch or had a few rods on deck this one could handle a multitude of baits. i have even found it good on jerkbaits its just a tad fast though ive noticed i have caught a bunch of fish already on it with jerkbaits but i have lost a few as well due to the action. it is great from 5/16 -1/2 oz baits for sure. you feel very connected with your spinnerbaits and chatterbaits using this rod.

the emtf is another great rod as well i used to be a dobyns guy and loved my dx 744 for versatility but i have to say i like the emtf better in the end, especially the taper on the rod. it has a fast taper but you can still throw cranks with it if you had to. I have found this rod to be a great 3/8 oz -3/4 oz lure rod especially for jigs, tx rigs in deeper water. I mainly throw the swing impacts on it now on a 3/8 oz jig head and it is one of my favorite rods i have used for those. This rod makes a good senko rod as well especially for casting them long distances. Oh yeah it is awesome for swim jigs also and spinnerbaits/ chatterbaits when you are not target casting.

You cant go wrong with these two rods they really are nice sticks that can cover a lot of different fishing techniques if it had to be put up to the task.
Summed up nicely and agree 100%.
I own these two as well.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 am

capt1fish wrote:
Revofisher wrote:i have the xx spinnerbait special, and the xx extreme mission type f. I have found those two rods to be very versatile. The spinnerbait special has surprised me i have thrown spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, small jigs and t rigs, senkos , and some small swimbaits like the swing impacts. The rod handled them all very well i have to say. i own other rods i use for these same techniques but if i had to do it in a pinch or had a few rods on deck this one could handle a multitude of baits. i have even found it good on jerkbaits its just a tad fast though ive noticed i have caught a bunch of fish already on it with jerkbaits but i have lost a few as well due to the action. it is great from 5/16 -1/2 oz baits for sure. you feel very connected with your spinnerbaits and chatterbaits using this rod.

Summed up nicely and agree 100%.
I own these two as well.
same..

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:42 pm

The Tour Versatile, EMTF, and Spinnerbait are all extremely versatile and great rods. Been testing them out as well as the Perfect Pitch and the flipping stick. Also have a JerkBait Special that seems to be good as a squarebill and topwater rod too.

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:21 am

thelatrobe33 wrote:I'd pick the Extreme Mission Type F. I can't really say enough good things about it. I'm using it for paddletails and bladed jigs, but I could see using it for a variety of other techniques. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for senkos, t-rigs or jigs. It'd also be fine for wake baits, spinnerbaits & crankbaits. I don't really fish any rods 7' or under, so that rules out most of the other XX rods.
+1. I have this rod and its the only one I carry when bankfishing or wading.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 am

Thanks for all of the input. Read some good reviews about the EMTF, but I don't know if I want to give up potential accuracy with a 7'5" rod. But it's good to know there's a lot of versatility in the lineup. I've never been able to handle one myself, so I appreciate the replies. Still trying to narrow it down, but I think it's going to be either the 6'10" Spinnerbait or the 7' Tour Versatile.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Thanks for all of the input. Read some good reviews about the EMTF, but I don't know if I want to give up potential accuracy with a 7'5" rod. But it's good to know there's a lot of versatility in the lineup. I've never been able to handle one myself, so I appreciate the replies. Still trying to narrow it down, but I think it's going to be either the 6'10" Spinnerbait or the 7' Tour Versatile.
Both are good choices in terms of versatility. Think of it this way, if you're planning on fishing 1/2 oz and up most often, with a lot of jig and worm fishing involved or around heavier cover, the Tour Versatile (6 power = Heavy) is a better option. If you're at 1/2 oz and under most often with some treble hooked presentations like square bills, the Spinnerbait Special (5 power = Medium Heavy) is a better option. They overlap in some areas and compliment each other nicely in terms of covering a very wide range of techniques in only two rods.

The Tackle Trap is a Megabass dealer and a Tackle Tour sponsor. I'd be happy to get you set up with the rod of your choice and answer any additional questions you may have about them. Feel free to shoot me a PM or an email anytime, thanks!

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:19 am

Would the EMTF be a good choice if I also did some light flipping with 1/2 to 3/4oz lures around moderate to heavy cover? I rarely get into anything too heavy. I had a 734 Powell Max that did really well for lots of things, but I'm not sure I'd consider it a true heavy/4 power.

Bryanp292
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bryanp292 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:21 pm

MediumHeavy wrote:Would the EMTF be a good choice if I also did some light flipping with 1/2 to 3/4oz lures around moderate to heavy cover? I rarely get into anything too heavy. I had a 734 Powell Max that did really well for lots of things, but I'm not sure I'd consider it a true heavy/4 power.
I'd look at the tour versatile or if you want a little more power, the perfect pitch.