BPS Extreme

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

BPS Extreme

Post by Big-Bass » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:44 pm

I know many (most) BPS rods have a stigma on TT but I have a question. I am looking for a cheaper 7' or greater rod to throw frogs, dd22 cranks (if need be), and bigger jigs/creatures into cover. I have either my Revo STX (gen 2) or my BPS Pro Qualifier to match to the rod. How are the Extreme series of rods? They are on sale for $69.99 right now and they make a 7'6" MH. Should I go with something shorter or should I get a telescopic rod? I have $50 in BPS bucks so that rod came to mind. How are the Carbonlites? Also, any other suggestion for a rod between 7"-7"6" in a MH or H that would suit jigs, frogs in pads, and bigger cranks in a pinch. I would like to keep the price under $125 or so if possible. Thank you.

aeronut
Angler
Angler

Re: BPS Extreme

Post by aeronut » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:47 am

I have a bps extreme ext70MHT med hvy 3/8-1 1/2 oz hm54 graphite . Bought about 10 years ago for $25 used.
I have done everything with it. The action is slower than my loomis mbr 843glx .the rod I have has plenty of backbone to drive a double frog hook with braid. I have lobed osprey tallon and dd22 you name it awesome spinnerbait topwater traps etc. I think the lower module graphite makes the rod the most versatile I have used for bass. I am not familiar with bps current models though.

cornmuse
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cornmuse » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:17 am

The medium heavy 7' 6" carbonlite is a very deep cranking rod - light and crisp. It's a solid caster and works well from 3/8 (I like 1/2 minimum) up to a solid 1 ounce load. I've had one now for 2 years - no problems and quite dependable.

Joe C.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:59 pm

Long story short, the Extreme rods work great. Get the longer rod, and don't be put off by the telescopic rod. I have one that's held up fine over the years.
BPS buys in volume from the same manufs. that make most of the other rod brands, so they get a good price on their rods. They can't afford to sell crap, and I have had the same BPS rod as Joe C. for years, and all it does is catch fish.
I recently went looking for a backup for my 8+year old Stacy King ML 7' cranking rod, and found the same model on sale at BPS for $79, so I bought two. I was surprised. The newer rods have an even softer tip, and cast lighter stuff, than the original, and are lighter, too.